Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2021

Started by Dash Decent, 14 August, 2020, 12:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I really hope this means it'll somehow sneak into the UC.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 06 December, 2020, 12:37:53 PM
What did Sean Phillips do with Armoured Gideon?

Edit to anwser my own question: Looks like something from the 92 Sci-fi Special - thinking it was a text story now.

It wasn't a text story. He wasn't really suited to it though. If I remember correctly, most of the stories in that special were done by artists who wouldn't normally draw/paint the stories they were assigned to.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: M.I.K. on 06 December, 2020, 02:54:08 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 06 December, 2020, 12:37:53 PM
What did Sean Phillips do with Armoured Gideon?

Edit to anwser my own question: Looks like something from the 92 Sci-fi Special - thinking it was a text story now.

It wasn't a text story. He wasn't really suited to it though. If I remember correctly, most of the stories in that special were done by artists who wouldn't normally draw/paint the stories they were assigned to.

They were, with different writers also to the usual creators - although Brett Ewins was no stranger to Rogue. Full details here: http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=specials&choice=SCIFI92. An experiment that wasn't repeated but maybe influenced the alternative takes on Dreddworld characters for one of the Mega-Specials.

Colin YNWA

Oh right. I really don't remember this one at all and it can't be that long ago since I read it as part of my prog Slog... and Sean Phillips... bloody memory of mine!

AlexF

In case you want to see some samples without actually digging out the Special in question...

https://meanwhileon.blogspot.com/2008/01/random-prog-review-1992-sci-fi-special.html

here's a review I wrote of it, gulp, nearly 13 years ago.

IndigoPrime

Yeah, not a classic special by any stretch; and the Armoured Gideon art is not great,

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 December, 2020, 09:30:28 AM
Although the direction is admittedly different, I do find it ironic that the strongest anti-Regen arguments are from people who want the Prog to revert to back how it was when they were kids. (Not saying Link Prime made that point, note.)

Which is also pretty daft.
The creative forces that forged that era of 2000AD are either approaching retirement, retired or dead.

Personally, I'm looking for intelligent, well written sci-fi / fantasy comic strips with great art.
Something that will tickle my interest and provide 30 minutes of escapist entertainment a week, not something that feels like a chore to pick up and wade through.

And other sundry outrageous demands etc etc.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 December, 2020, 10:11:03 AM
The creative forces that forged that era of 2000AD are either approaching retirement, retired or dead.

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Like our very own Ric Flair, Wagner will always have "one more run" left in the tank.

Colin YNWA

All other commentry aside I just gotta say Al Williamson - bloody hell he was good!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 December, 2020, 10:34:32 AM
All other commentry aside I just gotta say Al Williamson - bloody hell he was good!

He was. Always. I have a special fondness for his Blade Runner, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi movie adaptations.

(Worth clicking through to this RotJ page which is large enough to see Williamson's exquisite brush work.)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 December, 2020, 11:00:52 AM
He was. Always. I have a special fondness for his Blade Runner, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi movie adaptations.

Oh... that was a bit of a rabbit-hole. Check out this link for several sample pages from the Empire Strikes Back Artist's Edition. They're amazing.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 December, 2020, 11:05:04 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 December, 2020, 11:00:52 AM

Oh... that was a bit of a rabbit-hole. Check out this link for several sample pages from the Empire Strikes Back Artist's Edition. They're amazing.

Don't I got work to do...

TordelBack

So ridiculously good. Amazing how he does such perfect likenesses of people and tech,  but makes them all feel like they've grown out of the environment,  rather than - as so often with movie refs - just been plonked into the panel from a publicity still.

Barrington Boots

Those are just fantastic.
Marvel's Star Wars comics were actually my first 'proper' foray into comics (not counting odd issues of Whizzer and Chips etc) and I remember my Dad bringing these home for me on a Saturday (he worked part time at shop, as well as being a full time teacher). I haven't seen them for ages. That's my working day borked.
You're a dark horse, Boots.