Main Menu

You Can Take Away My Geek Card Because…

Started by Jim_Campbell, 21 October, 2015, 08:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

I like both modern Hulk movies a great deal, for different reasons, but in both cases for some lovely bits of filmmaking. I generally hate Ang Lee films, finding them coldly pretentious and overdone, but somehow over-thinking the Hulk actually works.

sheridan

Quote from: JamesC on 21 October, 2015, 09:04:58 PM
I liked the new Robocop too.
No, it wasn't as good as the original (and was never likely to be) but it was a good film in its own right. Some of the design was really good and Michael Keaton is always good value.

I liked it, but in a different way to the original.  The updating worked, but it was missing some dark comedy in.

Dark Jimbo

...because Star Wars bores me to tears.

I've tried to watch the first film (New Hope?) three or four times and never made it even halfway before switching off, and the first time I was about seven, which you'd think was the target audience.
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

I excitedly bought both series of Life on Mars on Blu-Ray, having missed the original broadcast.
Never made it past the 3rd episode.

Conversely, the Saw films never get much credit, but I loved 'em.
By the time Saw VI rolled round I don't think I could convince anyone to see it in the cinema with me- I think it was the only time I went to the cinema by myself.  :lol:

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 October, 2015, 09:09:04 PM
I'll go on record as saying that the new BSG was horseshit from start to finish

Even the exodus from New Caprica?

The Legendary Shark

I love the Star Wars prequel episodes II and III. Those are the films I wanted to see when I was eleven. I like 2010 better than 2001, Mad Max II better than Mad Max and the first new Trek film better than Wrath of Kahn (just). I detest the original BSG with a passion (I think it was that sugar-filled orange robot dog thing) and thought the new version infinitely superior. I too enjoyed Buck Rogers in the 25th Century a great deal; space battles and Wilma in a spray-on costume - what's not to love?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

maryanddavid

I'm a sucker for most of the films mentioned above, and Id like to add Billy Zanes  'The Phantom'. Action fun.

Loved the first Saw Link, the rest were OK at a push.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Tiplodocus

Terminator 2 is better than Terminator.

Aliens is better than Alien.

Roger Moore is the best Bond.

And  I love the Streetfighter movie.

And I mostly like the pretty pictures in comics. Sometimes, the script barely registers with me.

Luke is cooler than Han.
And Boba Fett is not cool at all.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Fungus

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 October, 2015, 10:28:20 PM
...because Star Wars bores me to tears.

I've tried to watch the first film (New Hope?) three or four times and never made it even halfway before switching off, and the first time I was about seven, which you'd think was the target audience.

Thank you.
There is a very real possibility that I've never seen any of these overblown things, and in age I'm also in the line of fire. You can't avoid references and clips of course, but I have zero interest in watching it. Ubiquity is a real turn-off. See also: Dr Who (though I've tried a few times recently...), LOTR, and all Marvel movies.

Who wants a 'geek card' anyway?

Professor Bear

The Adventurer

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 October, 2015, 11:32:29 PMMad Max II better than Mad Max

Honestly I'm the weirdo who likes Mad Max more then Road Warrior (Fury Road beats them both). To be fair, they are both two different movies. One is a drama of a man losing everything, and the other is an action movie.

Granted I'm also the crazy person who puts Temple of Doom above all other Indy films.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 October, 2015, 11:53:08 PM
Terminator 2 is better than Terminator.

Aliens is better than Alien.

These are also not uncommon opinions.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 21 October, 2015, 08:48:46 PM
I loved John Carter, too. Perfect family sci-fi shenanigans!

I was disappointed with this one and thought it was as TB said about the Hulk film made by Ang Lee....(Words to the effect!) overdone and yet somehow this was what was needed because it requires a lot of CGI to bring it to life. I just thought it was way too busy like Where's Wally picture.

Up against the computerised fakery, the actors and the world... the live action looked flat to me.

It didn't evoke that atmosphere I got looking the original artwork.

And the Princess never bared her breasts once like a lot of the art work suggests.

Daveycandlish

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I like my sci-fi with spandex. I love Buck Rogers and the original Battlestar. Hated the re-boot.
My current boxset watch is the TV series of Logans Run!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

ming

Waterworld.  I hate it and I love it at the same time - for the same reason: it's the closest we're ever likely to get to a Freak Wave movie.  :(