Main Menu

Meg 215

Started by ukdane, 12 January, 2004, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

Would all other Paul Scott's (especially the ones who are more succesful than me) kindly FUCK OFF!

Panic over everyone - our Paul has been returned to his normal grumpy self!
Better set your phaser to stun.

Oddboy

My thoughts...

Dredd - excellent story, with a very downbeat ending. I thought the art was a little too dark, which is down to Mr Blythe I assume.

WHT... Maria? - Nicely done. Very funny yet sad at the same time. Dredd's uncomfort at having to interact with citizens in a non-busting them way is always a joy to read.

Dredd Vs Satanus - is this set in 'the present'? It seems very 70s Dredd.  Yeah the page of blokey putting off visiting Dredd was brilliant, but the next page wasn't so.
They haven't explained where this guy got the blood from yet, have they?
Clocking in at 5 pages per episode...I thought Alan Barnes had said that after Devlin had finished there would be no more 5 pagers running in the Meg?

Death - still great, I don't want this to end. Hope Death wins & MC1 gets nuked, that'd be funny. Then all future Dredd stories would just be shots of Ground-Zero wasteland MC1. I know - not gonna happen - but heh heh it keeps me amused.

Anderson - also great. Uh, nothing else to say about it really.

GOLD - skim read Hitman (just to check which characters were in it for Sci-fi League scoring purposes really - Chopper & Hershey!) and I haven't read Charley's War yet - but then I don't think I read it last month either... have to do some catching up.

Gordon's Bile: Disappointing...after the crazed ranting on the What the Drokk? thread I was expecting something really depraved!

Alan Barnes

"Dredd Vs Satanus -
Clocking in at 5 pages per episode...I thought Alan Barnes had said that after Devlin had finished there would be no more 5 pagers running in the Meg?"

No multi-parters at less than 7 pages an episode. Satanus 2 was supposed to be 4 x 8-page episodes ... but the last three pages of Part 2 didn't get to me in time, hence the unannounced inclusion of a Future Shock (the only film we had to hand on Christmas Eve!). However, there should be 11 pages of Satanus - the missing three of Part 2, plus Part 3 proper - in Meg 216.

--Alan

Oddboy

Heh heh... sorry Alan for bringing that up!

I did think that the episode ended rather suddenly though...and I also spotted that the contents page didn't show the Future Shock, but I didn't put 2+2 together.

ukdane

I liked the Dredd tale, but I'm afraid I still don't like Coleby's art. It's ok, but nothing special. This episode I kept looking at the characters eyes- they seemed very odd to me.

Death: was better this episode, but it feels as if it's dragging a bit, I'm sure it shouldn't be.

Satanus: See above. Prefer Duke Mighten's artwork when it's coloured, but if he can't get b/w in on time, then there probably isn't much hope of getting him to do coloured pages.

Like the Trout, I'm only skim reading the Dredd synopsis it's fun to read, but Graghhhh!

Anderson: Yup, this really is good isn't it.
Cheers

-Daney

Will I. Cooling

I must admit I'm surprised about all the flak that Satanus is getting, I'm personally loving it and feel that the dialogue is good (although I am one for clunky Dredd dialogue). Although I like the cover so what do I know.

The text features were surprisingly excellent too with the Crime Files better than last month's while Rennie's column was his best despite (because?) it bring out all the homophobic (in the truest sense) 2000AD fans.

Obvioulsy there's more in my (just completed) review to be read on Friday.

P.S. Nice quote at the bottom, don't you think?

Will

Link: http://www.411mania.com/comics" target="_blank">411mania/comics

The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Will I. Cooling

Well yet another killed by yours truly...

sob

Will

Link: http://www.411mania.com/comics" target="_blank">new reviews up inc. 1372

The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Priv8eye

Okay, I'm dead late into the discussion but felt like adding my bit in.

Dredd - I liked this tale. I reminds me of Dredd when I first started reading 200 ad.  Liked it and the art.

Satanus - As this is the only bit I've read I don't really like to comment but it wasn't really that good.  Hopefully will improve.

Death - I've come into this waaayyy to late obviously to make any ideas of what its like.

Anderson - Again, second part, so the story is just beginning, but this is one that I'm looking forward to see how it developes.

The reprints section, the Dredd I've got elsewhere so it was okay for a read to remind myself of the story.  Charlies War, I've heard about but never read and basically its what I thought it was going to be.  Not exactly unenjoyable, but unfortunately, perhaps its all been done too often now for it to be fresh.  It looks good though, well drawn and I'd like to see how it progresses.

Maria - the story was ok but i felt the art was a bit of a let down.

Rennie - Gordons column, after the What the Drokk posts I thought this would be far more than it was, but it just came across as a lighthearted  bit of fun.  Give the man a bigger wooden spoon, I'll look forward to this column in future.

The Monarch

Maria turning out to be just another crazy cit was a touch of genius still wasn't quite sure if she was supposed to be from a rich family how did she end up on the streets?!?

Oddboy

Read the story again!
The family kept putting her in expensive re-hab clinics & she kept checking out & going to live in a cardboard box because she was a nutter.

The Monarch