Main Menu

I'm New

Started by Entilzha42, 02 June, 2002, 06:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Entilzha42

I have only recently started reading 2,000 AD (about two months ago) and was wondering if anyone here could recommend any good strips that I should read and where I might beable to get hold of them . I've already read some Judge Dredd trade paperbacks (Necropalis, Judgement Day and Blind Justice) and the last 8 issues or so of the weekly title but that is about it.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

plastikman

I'd recommend the following:

"Satan" (a Judge Anderson tale) available as a graphic novel.

"Apocalyse War" is classic old skool Dredd 2000ad - is it available as a graphic novel? (must be)

All of "Nemesis".

Try and get the first 10 or so copies of the megazine volume 1 (should be able to pick them up cheap) - "Young Death" is cool (a bit different to his current incarnation!!) and most people enjoy "America".

"Halo Jones" well worth a read too.

I'm sure you'll end up with more recommendations than your wallet can cope with!

Happy hunting - ebay.co.uk is well worth monitoring for bargain 2000.

plastikman.

Drifting away from 2000 - "Top Ten" is a work of genius as is "Jimmy Corrigan the smartest kid on earth", also "100 bullets" is great if you like hard boiled crime

DavidXBrunt

I just want to say you should consider your self lucky to have found a copy of 'Hudgement Day'. It's very rare.

As for reading matter - any of the Titan Books that are currently available. The Alan Moore books in particular, but any of them.

Or you could try jumping on to a new medium and testing the new Audio range out. The 'Strontium Dog' C.D. is pretty good. It gives you the back story and should prep you for the new series in issue 1300 of the weekly.

Entilzha42

Thanks for the advice. I ordered Halo Jones by Alan Moore off Amazon. I really like his other work (Watchmen, The Killing Joke, V For Vendetta) so anything that he has done for 2000 AD should be good.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Moore wrote a 200 AD story in which he killed Maggie Thatcher. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Smiley

I'm not sure about Mr. Moore bumping Maggie Thatcher off, but there was a hilarious 'Future Shock' by Alan Moore & Ian Gibson called "Grawks Bearing Gifts" where Thatcher, along with the rest of humanity, ended up being kept on wildlife reservations!
According to David Bishop's excellent "Thrill Power Overload" articles currently running in the Megazine, 2000AD's very first published strip "Invasion!" was going to feature the death of Thatcher by firing squad.

paulvonscott

I think as far as offing Thatcher goes, wasn't that something to do with the Volgs in Invasion, (a really old strip, quite dodgy but fun in a nostalgic sense) not that that was Alan Moore.  

You should definitely have Halo Jones (well done), Moore's DR&Quinch was good as was Skizz (book 1 ONLY) which is the one that has worn least well, but still has some real charm about it.

Other stuff by other folk... all of the Nemesis Series, Strontium Dog (not yet out), Zenith Phase 1 (tails off after phase one but the first book is great), again not yet out (don't ask).

As for dredd, well I reccommend ignoring the Garth Ennis material as he's a bit of a duffer(though many would disagree) and buy anything with John Wagners name on.  The Judge Child, Judge Caligula, Block Mania, Apocalypse War, the Pit, as well as the Cursed Earth by Pat Mills.  Not all of these may be currently avaiable.

If you are lucky you may find early Titan books of some of the material not currently in print.

Theres much more material that's never seen a decent quality reprint.  So you have a lot to look forward to.  You could always try these digital archives, though I've never heard from anyone who has one yet.

Cheers

Paul

2000AD Online

I recommend The Pit and Necropolis, also Young Death

have fun, welcome aboard!

chirpily yours

Floyd Kermode

Rambo

Run. Run while you still can! :)