Main Menu

New 2000AD Covers Blog

Started by Pete Wells, 06 July, 2009, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 October, 2012, 07:07:05 PM

You mean this?

I think that must be one of the ones that got into the mix, but its not entirely that one

Colin YNWA

Especially since I'm pretty certain the image in my mind doesn't actually exist anymore!

Steve Green

I know what you mean - it sounds like the sort of image that might have been used in the WB animated series.

Pete Wells

Today's cover image is up, nice and early! It's by Nick Percival and features some beautiful texture work. I likes it!

judda fett

Lovely Nick Percival covers. Think you've accidentally re-named him towards the end of that piece though.

judda fett

Quote from: judgefett on 20 October, 2012, 10:12:39 AM
Lovely Nick Percival covers. Think you've accidentally re-named him towards the end of that piece though.

Thats proof I read the blog and not just look at the purdy pitchers btw  :)

Frank

That's the oddest disparity between art styles of strip and cover since Simon Bisley did covers for Carlos's Third World War in Crisis (i). Just as in that instance, the difference in aesthetics and execution between Nick Percival's photoshop work and INJ Culbard's line art perfectly illustrates the relative merits of each approach. If Tharg intends to recycle a prog cover when he reprints Brass Sun as a trade paperback, as he does with most collections, he's going to have to let the brilliant Culbard do a cover eventually, though. Maybe editorial felt something more painterly was needed to contrast with the recent run of excellent Cliff Robinson and D'Israeli line art efforts; variety being the spice of life.

(i) Come to think of it, what about John Higgins's airbrushed Rogue Trooper cover image (602), wrapped around Steve Dillon's most minimal marker pen work on The Hit 4

Spikes

Brilliant stuff, as always Pete.
Just great to see D'israeli's various prelims to the final finished cover, and seeing this weeks cover makes me wish it was already Wednesday!

Pete Wells

Thanks fellas! Thanks Judge Fett for spotting my Nick Percival/Liam Sharp mash up!

Isn't technology cool though? I corrected my mistake on my phone while having my hangover shit at Alton Towers hotel. Amazing!

Pete Wells

This week's cover is up, 2000AD at its subversive best if yer askin' me...

Frank

Cheers, Pete; apparently those colours do run after all. Can't wait for the ABC Warriors special you're teasing us with.

Pete Wells

Klegg-hai!

Check out Edmund Bagwell's wonderful cover on my blog this week. His roughs are brilliant, I'd have liked to have seen all three designs used!

Colin YNWA

That's interesting for me the third design is so much better. I have to say however much I've loved Mr Bagwell's covers prior to this one, this one could have been so much more dynamic, as I think the third design shows. Still as ever beautifully rendered.

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 November, 2012, 11:38:08 AM
That's interesting for me the third design is so much better. I have to say however much I've loved Mr Bagwell's covers prior to this one, this one could have been so much more dynamic, as I think the third design shows. Still as ever beautifully rendered.

In terms of the dynamics of 2000ad Dredd covers, I suppose the constituent elements and relative proportions of the third rough would have made it the equivalent of this, while the composition and theme of the image chosen for the cover seems to deliberately echo this. That choice seems appropriate to me, since Bagwell's strengths are similar to those of Dillon; his clear lines and solid grasp of character and physical location ground the strip's more fantastical elements and make some fairly outrageous stuff look convincing as well as beautiful. Thanks for posting, Pete.

Spikes

Yes, you cant fault Edmund Bagwell's art at all - lovely stuff, though i agree this cover could have been so much more dynamic.