Main Menu

New 2000AD Covers Blog

Started by Pete Wells, 06 July, 2009, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sauchie on 04 November, 2012, 02:26:08 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 November, 2012, 11:38:08 AM

...while the composition and theme of the image chosen for the cover seems to deliberately echo this. That choice seems appropriate to me, since Bagwell's strengths are similar to those of Dillon; his clear lines and solid grasp of character and physical location ground the strip's more fantastical elements and make some fairly outrageous stuff look convincing as well as beautiful. Thanks for posting, Pete.

I must admit that was the cover I thought of on seeing this weeks. I'd suggest however that the Dillon one, with the added elements and tension in Dredd's face is very dynamic, Still all subjective...

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 November, 2012, 04:33:07 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 04 November, 2012, 02:26:08 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 November, 2012, 11:38:08 AM

the composition and theme of the image chosen for the cover seems to deliberately echo this. That choice seems appropriate to me, since Bagwell's strengths are similar to those of Dillon[/b].

I must admit that was the cover I thought of on seeing this weeks. I'd suggest however that the Dillon one, with the added elements and tension in Dredd's face is very dynamic, Still all subjective...

Aye, Bagwell's choice of bold primary colours and plain white background seemed a deliberate evocation of the letterpress era, since we know he normally loves a muted palette (1780). I won't get the chance to read this week's story for a few days, but surely that image is playing up the surreal humour of the situation, rather than the tension and (melo)drama of Cry of the Werewolf? If that's played for laughs in the comic, something as dramatic as the Dillon image or the second rough (which the perceptive Mr Wells points out recalls the most disturbing bit of body horror I was allowed to witness as a wee boy) would have been a bit of dodgy salesmanship. The effect's much more like this.

Just to focus more on the finished image itself again, isn't it clever how the circular lines which radiate out from the edges of the mouth, distorting the pink human flesh of the host, appear to continue to ripple out onto the folds of the judge's leathers too? It gives the impression the whole image is warping out of shape.

Pete Wells

Something a little different as a mid week treat. Hibernia Comics are soon to release a fascinating magazine called 'Comic Archive - One Eyed Jack and the Death of Valiant.' I've been lucky enough to have a sneak preview and there's some wonderful stuff in there - interviews with John Wagner, Kev O'Neill and more as well as articles on classic comic characters, 2000AD design and the origins of Dredd.

Find out more and see the making of the cover over on my blog:

Spikes

Mid week treat indeed.  A brilliant read, that!

ming

Yeah, very good to see this getting some pimpage, Pete.  As I've also been lucky enough to be treated to a sneak preview, I can heartily agree with what a good read this is.  The section on art editorial and icon design is fascinating, and it's great to see Jan Shepheard and Doug Church front and centre alongside Kev O'Neill; hugely important in the history of 2000AD but somewhat forgotten, I think.

The Amstor Computer

Taking a quick time out from my long-time lurking to say how happy I am that David's book is getting good early feedback. He's really done a great job with the organisation, features and interviews (the Art Eds piece is my favourite) and I'm just glad I've been able to help - along with Trout and Bolt - contribute toward the finished piece. Hopefully the wider response will be as positive!

Spikes

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 09 November, 2012, 01:08:13 PM
how happy I am that David's book is getting good early feedback.

I was also lucky enough to have gotten a sneak preview, so ive have a good ol' read (and re-read) of this, now. Quality stuff! I'll be looking to snag a physical copy when they arrive.

Highly recommended.

Pete Wells

Early this week - Tiernan Trevallion's cover for Prog 1809 is on the blog...

Pete Wells

Robusters Ahoy, PLUS a look at how Clint goes back and tinkers with the ABC Warriors books, topper!

Frank

Quote from: Pete Wells on 19 November, 2012, 11:42:41 PM
Robusters Ahoy, PLUS a look at how Clint goes back and tinkers with the ABC Warriors books, topper!

You've earned your keep with that one, Pete. I'd heard Langley tinkered with the art on the reprints before, but I never imagined it would be to the extent that your blog illustrates. Cheers.

ming

Great stuff Pete (and Clint).  Definitely planning on picking the collected ABCs up now - I've sat on the fence for too long, but this amount of tweaking makes it a no-brainer.

Pete Wells

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate your comments!

SmallBlueThing

Ooh, i enjoy tales of being tweaked by the langley droid, so i'll give that a read tonight. In the meantime, if and when you get the latest Meg cover, could you ask if it was meant to be upside down? The chain and the shoulder rat seem to suggest not, but...

SBT

Pete Wells

Thnaks for the reminder SBT, Mark Harrison always gives me LOADS of info...

Pete Wells

Buh... D'Israeli... wha...?

Please, just go over to my blog and see magnificence! I suspect D'Israeli is a little bit good...