Main Menu

The Page 100 Project

Started by johnnystress, 22 April, 2010, 09:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnystress

The Page 100 Project
So ages ago, Dave Howard suggested to me that it might be an interesting idea for cartoonists to try adapting a part of a novel they liked. And then recently when JD Sallinger died, that notion came back to me, and then I thought oh it might be interesting to attempt to do a comic of some portion of one of his books. And as I sat on the couch staring at the shelves of books, I thought it might be fun to try it with different books. Maybe just a page. Maybe the SAME PAGE from each book. Say, page 100. And thus...

http://jasonturner.livejournal.com/224544.html

Take one of your favourite books, turn to page 100, and adapt it into a comic.

from Michael Chabon's "Yiddish Policemen's Union"

Here's another from Emily Carroll, adapting page 100 from Barbara Gowdy's The White Bone:

a great idea and one that would make a fantastic art comp here- select a prog, turn to page X and interpret/re-imagine/be inspired by that page

Colin YNWA

Quote from: johnnystress on 22 April, 2010, 09:53:39 AM

Here's another from Emily Carroll, adapting page 100 from Barbara Gowdy's The White Bone:

Bloody hell that's brillant - its heart breaking and I need to read this book now to see how the elephant does.

Richmond Clements

QuoteBloody hell that's brillant - its heart breaking and I need to read this book now to see how the elephant does.

Indeed- that is an astonishing piece of work.

mygrimmbrother

A wonderful idea. Got me thinking...

Peter Wolf

Quote from: johnnystress on 22 April, 2010, 09:53:39 AM

a great idea and one that would make a fantastic art comp here- select a prog, turn to page X and interpret/re-imagine/be inspired by that page

That would be a fantastic idea for a comp especially for artists who are beginners who havent done sequential work as reimagining a page is halfway between copying and drawing a completely original page because you would reinterpret the existing sequencing.

Why not just have it as a thread that could be continually added to ?
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

worldshown

Thought I'd have a try at this. Manipulated images printed out and gone over in pen if anyone's wondering.

johnnystress

That's really nice- what book is it from?

Emperor

Quote from: johnnystress on 22 April, 2010, 06:07:32 PM
That's really nice- what book is it from?

Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 22 April, 2010, 01:40:17 PMWhy not just have it as a thread that could be continually added to ?

How about this one? I've already suggested we could have more open ended challenges here, as opposed to the other competitions with a deadline. This would seem like something that'd work along those lines. I'm curious about how random you could get - an encyclopaedia? the dictionary?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+