Main Menu

'THE SWEENEY' REMAKE TRAILER RELEASED

Started by Beaky Smoochies, 03 April, 2012, 02:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaky Smoochies

Been tracking this movie's progress, and finally the trailer is out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlzjvIS9pmg - don't know what to make of it though, it looks more like a television episode than a theatrical movie, not surprising considering it's paltry £3.5m budget, they better not screw this up, the original series is still the best British series ever made..."SHAT IT!"
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Roger Godpleton

I can't believe they cast a black Carter...
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

dweezil2

I have very little faith in Nick Love to delivery anything with any real substance-time will tell I suppose.

Can we expect a Danny Dyer cameo?

You slaagggg!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 03 April, 2012, 02:45:45 AM
it looks more like a television episode than a theatrical movie, not surprising considering it's paltry £3.5m budget, they better not screw this up

Don't think a £3.5 million budget is really the issue here, it's  enough -the Raid was made for £700,000- but that is some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard. The Sweeney was never that cliche and there's no Granadas/Cortinas!

radiator

That bit where he goes "I'm Carter" cracked me up. What on Earth is Damian Lewis doing in this?

JOE SOAP

It's a watered-down lads mag interpretation, it'll make its money from that audience but would've been more interesting to update the characters rather than be caricatures.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: radiator on 03 April, 2012, 09:56:53 AM
That bit where he goes "I'm Carter" cracked me up. What on Earth is Damian Lewis doing in this?

I was thinking the same a rather peculiar casting to say the least.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Never rub another mans rhubarb

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 April, 2012, 09:28:37 AM
Don't think a £3.5 million budget is really the issue here, it's  enough -the Raid was made for £700,000- but that is some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard. The Sweeney was never that cliche and there's no Granadas/Cortinas!

Very good point(s) Joe, and you're absolutely right about the budget issue, but it wasn't the quality of the movie that I was commenting on relative to it's price-tag, it was more the look of it shown in the new trailer, it doesn't even look like a movie, it looks like an extended episode of Thief Takers  rather than an actual movie... even the original series' spin-off movies looked more like movies, and that was with late 1970's production technology for goodness sake!
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Spikes

Blimey, this looks terrible. "It's a watered-down lads mag interpretation" sounds about on the money.

MIKE COLLINS

Quote from: Judge Jack on 05 April, 2012, 10:57:05 AM
Blimey, this looks terrible. "It's a watered-down lads mag interpretation" sounds about on the money.
Yeah- I was really looking forward to this-  I thought Ray Winstone was inspired casting- but oh gawd that's rubbish... and the 'you're nicked' line's just lame-- they even laugh at it. Nope, sorry-- this one just made the avoid list...

Proudhuff

in light of the above comments I'm not even going to bother with the trailer  :(
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Now my recollection of THE SWEENEY is pretty poor. I obviously remember it as being violent and raunchy but they show it pre-Watershed now.  Was it really some stand out classic character study of cops on the edge? My recall thinks a lads mag, lock stock approach suits it about right.  The fact that I think that's crap says more about me at my age than it does about what I remember of THE SWEENEY was like.

Please, explain why I'm wrong.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

The point was it worked in the 70's, it looks stupid now with Winstone et al. winking at the camera while they say the old lines. They should've updated the characters a bit.