Main Menu

And on Ian Hislop's team...

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 20 May, 2023, 12:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 13 October, 2023, 06:50:49 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 October, 2023, 09:17:30 AM
QuoteHislop's defense against being blamed for Boris is that they've had lots of shithead politicians on the show who haven't become PM. Perhaps not surprisingly, Hislop blames the voters.
That's a weaselly excuse.

Well, I could just as easily suggest that blaming a game show is the British public's "weaselly excuse" for continually voting in Tory governments, and Brexit - and all the things that Boris represents.

People do like him, and they liked the ideas he espoused. Brexit & Boris, ultimately, are both things that England created. But sure, blame a game show.

No. Just no. It's clearly laid out in the BBC's charter that a Friday night topical news quiz show is the country's only, best defense against populism, demagoguery and fascism. Ian Hislop and Paul Merton failed us all.

Stop defending HIGNFY Funt, it will never have sex with you.
You may quote me on that.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 13 October, 2023, 06:50:49 PMPeople do like him, and they liked the ideas he espoused. Brexit & Boris, ultimately, are both things that England created. But sure, blame a game show.
It's not like I'm solely blaming a gameshow, but there is plenty of research out there that looks into platforming and deplatforming. He already had an audience via his newspaper work, but TV gave him a megaphone.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 13 October, 2023, 08:11:29 PMStop defending HIGNFY Funt, it will never have sex with you.

But you don't *know* that!!!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 13 October, 2023, 10:16:07 PM
Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 13 October, 2023, 08:11:29 PMStop defending HIGNFY Funt, it will never have sex with you.

Would you even want to after Boris had his wicked way with it?

God knows what you'd catch!
You may quote me on that.

Dandontdare

I just think HIGNFY has gotten too comfortable over the years with predictable barbs and a wee bit smug. I've not watched much normal telly in the last few years, but it used to be a show I'd never miss.

Unpopular opinion here - I love most R4 comedies, but I cannot abide Just a minute or I'm sorry I haven't a clue - should have been put out of their misery decades ago.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 13 October, 2023, 10:37:48 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 13 October, 2023, 10:16:07 PM

Would you even want to after Boris had his wicked way with it?

God knows what you'd catch!

I won't HIGNFY that with a response.  Anyway, I'm enjoying it now it's back on, and if I just hang round with it pretending to be its friend long enough I'll definitely get the ride off it sooner or later.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

You'll catch sycophantilis, HaveIgotorrhoea, or Hislopatitis B - and that's even if you only engage in mutual Mertonurbation. It is, after all, Highly Infectious Viewing.

I'll get me scrubs...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

:D

Not to mention the ever-present threat of the post-Hislop-rant clap.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 October, 2023, 07:49:56 AMget the ride

So long since I've heard that phrase. Dingwall-speak: "Ow, what a ride, mun!" Can also be referencing a car.

Also, 95% of street interactions were:

- "Fit like?"
 - "No bad, yersel?"
 - "No bad."

They said it was grim up north, but it was "no bad".
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I hadn't realised till I read Irvine Welsh's stuff that 'the ride' was a Scottish thing as well as an Irish one.

Though I'd imagine Irvine Welsh probably isn't the best barometer of all things Scottish. I mean, I'm sure not EVERYONE in Scotland is a junkie, a sexual pervert or a psychopath. Heroin doesn't seem to be a problem at all among the pagan folk of Summerisle, for example.

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 October, 2023, 06:01:30 PMI mean, I'm sure not EVERYONE in Scotland is a junkie, a sexual pervert or a psychopath.

:-[

God bless your faith in humanity, is all I can say.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 20 October, 2023, 06:40:41 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 October, 2023, 06:01:30 PMI mean, I'm sure not EVERYONE in Scotland is a junkie, a sexual pervert or a psychopath.

:-[

God bless your faith in humanity, is all I can say.

I was just hoping that not everywhere is the same as Dublin.