Main Menu

Cast a Deadly Spell (1991)

Started by karlos, 11 September, 2023, 11:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

...is now on YouTube.

I'm guessing you've never heard of it as it had no release at all over here, as far as I can tell.

It's a cracking mix of 40s LA noir and Lovecraft/magic.

Incredible cast, full of lovely ideas and world-building, I think you cats would dig it.

Colin YNWA

Your right I'd never heard of this (seems to be a TV Movie ???) has an excellent cast - and Director in Martin Campbell so will before check this out as soon as possible.

It seems that with a bit of digging you can find some relatively obsure and fun Sci-fi gems on YouTube.

Thanks for the heads up.

karlos

My pleasure, Colin.

It is indeed a TV movie, made for HBO, and clearly with quite a few bucks spent on it.

There is a sequel, Witch Hunt, starring Dennis Hopper and directed by Paul Schrader, no less, also on YouTube.

I know nothing about that one but it's certainly on my watch list.

The Legendary Shark

I absolutely loved this, thanks for the heads-up. It's the kind of story that, in comic form, would fit snugly into 2000AD and probably be a classic. Great stuff!

Got the sequel all queued up and ready to play...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

karlos

Glad to be of service!

Just finished it and i totally agree - it was a lot of fun.

I'm half an hour into Witch Hunt and, cast changes aside, it's very entertaining.

The Legendary Shark

Yep, a worthy sequel.

Colour me impressed.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Well I watched this and while I'm not as enamored with it as you folks its great fun. It did feel a little all over the place in tone, its tongue so firmly in its cheek when it was trying to be intense and thrilling it didn't always work. At times it reminded me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit! The ending was kinda telegraphed. And come on calling the lead H Phillip Lovecraft was far too on the nose.

For all that I really enjoyed it as fun Saturday afternoon distraction. I'm impressed that something like this even existed and everyone seemed to have immense fun hamming the whole thing up. So once again thanks for the heads up.

Watched the trailer for the sequel (after getting it confused with a film from a couple of years ago) and hmmm it looks very 80s!

JayzusB.Christ

I'll have a watch tonight, cheers, Karlos.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

karlos

JayzusB.Christ

Dick Tracy meets Harry Potter with a John Smith climax. Utterly daft but loads of fun. Thanks again, Karlos!

Always good to see Julianne Moore - I was in a scene with her as an extra about 20 years ago, and hadn't a breeze who she was.  Thought she was some up-and-coming unknown. Now I realise she was already a big Hollywood star, and I was just clueless.

And those gremlins - well, if HBO didn't get permission from Warner Bros for their look, then I don't know how the feck they avoided a court case.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

karlos

Very glad to hear you enjoyed it, Jayzus!

Give the sequel a try if you get the chance - it's worth a look.

JayzusB.Christ