Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 27 August, 2023, 10:14:50 PMThe "e" key on my laptop's* keyboard has stopped working. Without an xtrnal usb kyboard all my sntancs ar rally hard to rad.

*It's a dcad old

Whr thrs a will, thr's a way:

Gadsby
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

PRSVRYPRFCTMN, / VRKPTHSPRCPTSTN

Inscription from a Welsh church, over a depiction of the ten commandments (clue)

JayzusB.Christ

I'm guessing PERUSE EVERY PERFECT MAN, EVER KEEP THE SOUP RECEIPT, STAN.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 August, 2023, 07:14:12 AM
Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 27 August, 2023, 10:14:50 PMThe "e" key on my laptop's* keyboard has stopped working. Without an xtrnal usb kyboard all my sntancs ar rally hard to rad.

*It's a dcad old

A bloke goes to the doctor because he can't pronounce the letter "f" or the letter "t".

The doctor says, "you can't say fairer than that, then."
Lock up your spoons!

The Legendary Shark

It's the " " key on my lappy, which is quite lucky because I hardly ever need  -rays or  ylophones. 

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 August, 2023, 10:24:39 PMPRSVRYPRFCTMN, / VRKPTHSPRCPTSTN

Inscription from a Welsh church, over a depiction of the ten commandments (clue)

Hang the feck on a minute. It's just one repeated vowel, isn't it?  I believe I've nailed it.  It rhymes and all.

JohnW

Who's the clever fella?
As soon as you provided the clues I got it in no time, and I'm usually useless at puzzles.
Off you go now, Jayzus, and find us the Holy Grail.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JohnW on 31 August, 2023, 03:43:39 PMWho's the clever fella?
As soon as you provided the clues I got it in no time, and I'm usually useless at puzzles.

I believed I had found it, sadly, when I was 23.  I had just read Holy Blood, Holy Grail and was, I'm afraid to say, totally and utterly convinced, even though Danny Franks had introduced me to Occam's Razor when I was 11 - One quick slash of said item of Thrax's weaponry renders the entire theory a burst balloon.

Dan Brown may have ripped that book off wholesale, but at least he wasn't pretending it was true.

JohnW

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 August, 2023, 04:18:40 PMI believed I had found it, sadly, when I was 23.
Did it by any chance resemble a 2-litre plastic bottle of Linden Village cider?

As for fans of Dan Brown and all that take such shite seriously:
I hate hate hate HATE pseudo-history conspiracy bollocks. Really don't like it at all.

Interpreting the evidence should be enough for us. There's no call to be making up pernicious nonsense.
When I teach medieval history I make it a point to strip out the romance and trample on the dreams of my students. After that they can put the romance back in and dream new dreams, but this time based on actual evidence.

I'm not in this business to make friends.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Link Prime

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Link Prime on 31 August, 2023, 05:15:01 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 August, 2023, 04:18:40 PMI believed I had found it, sadly, when I was 23.

Go on...

See the ending of the DaVinci code?  That was what the writers of Holy Blood, Holy Grail concluded that the identity of the Grail was, or, far more likely, decided it was and did all in their power to edit actual history to make that decision seem like a conclusion. I won't reveal it as there's no spoiler tag option any more, but believe me, it's barely worth Googling.

I thought I was party to a select group of people who had finally stumbled upon the truth, rather than realising what I really was:  A gullible eejit who should have read a few real history books first.

JohnW - I'm not even a fraction of the historian you are, but I was listening to a podcast about the Antikythera Mechanism the other day, which surely proves conclusively that archeologists and historians DON'T suppress evidence that challenges existing beliefs of past cultures.  So yes - pseudo-history is bollocks.

Same goes for pseudo-science - I've heard how scientists conspire to hide any discovery that turns existing theories on their heads, yet there quantum theory is, smashing up Newtownian physics like a sub-atomic bull in a universe-sized china shop.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 August, 2023, 04:18:40 PM
Quote from: JohnW on 31 August, 2023, 03:43:39 PMWho's the clever fella?

I believed I had found it, sadly, when I was 23.  I had just read Holy Blood, Holy Grail and was, I'm afraid to say, totally and utterly convinced, even though Danny Franks had introduced me to Occam's Razor when I was 11 - One quick slash of said item of Thrax's weaponry renders the entire theory a burst balloon.

Dan Brown may have ripped that book off wholesale, but at least he wasn't pretending it was true.

Whenever Occam's razor is mentioned, I have a spiritual obligation to mention Newton's Flaming Lazer Sword is a thing.
You may quote me on that.

Link Prime

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 August, 2023, 05:35:22 PMI thought I was party to a select group of people who had finally stumbled upon the truth, rather than realising what I really was:  A gullible eejit who should have read a few real history books first.

Far worse crimes I imagine.

Forget Dan Brown - I was once approached by a Grant Morrison True Believer.
Walked out of Sub City Comics in Dublin sometime in the 90's with my regular pull list, including the usual from Vertigo.
Some guy in a trench-coat followed me down the street asking questions about "The Invisible College" ffs.

sheridan

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 31 August, 2023, 05:42:36 PMWhenever Occam's razor is mentioned, I have a spiritual obligation to mention Newton's Flaming Lazer Sword is a thing.

Wow - thank you for introducing me to Newton's Flaming Laser Sword :-)