Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Because im at a school reunion, and of the hundred plus people in the bar, i know seven. Including me. Mind you, on the other hand, ive aged better than the rest of them and im at a table with four of my (long time ago) exes, so.
SBT

Van Dom

Did you make up a really cool career that you have? Or claim responsibility for inventing wireless broadband?
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Roger Godpleton

Went to feed the cat and discovered that a whole bunch of cat food had gone rancid. I'm still getting the smell even after I washed my hands.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

SmallBlueThing

No, because thanks to what i DO do, the standard response is to shuffle closer, give me a cuddle and tell me how 'rewarding' it must be. So i stick with that! it did, however, turn into a round the table discussion of the wicker man, and now im home i find i need to watch it again, but its far too late. This makes me a bit cross.
SBT

House of Usher

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

I couldn't cope with a full-scale school reunion. Too much baggage of failure. I even stopped using Friends Reunited four years ago. I do like the film Romy and Michelle's Highschool Reunion though.

:lol:
STRIKE !!!

Rog69

My prog just landed on my doormat and it looks like a dog chewed it, despite the envelope being in good shape.

Richmond Clements

I can think of nothing more pointless or boring than a school reunion.
The people from school I still want to be in contact with are people I still know. If I was interested in the rest of them, then I'd make the effort.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 21 August, 2010, 10:39:40 AM
I can think of nothing more pointless or boring than a school reunion.
The people from school I still want to be in contact with are people I still know. If I was interested in the rest of them, then I'd make the effort.

I felt exactly the same way, right up until the first one we had eighteen months ago. I almost didn't go- but I found something quite incredible. In the intervening 25 years, everyone had grown up. As a result, the people there didn't dissolve into cliques, old grudges were forgotten, and everyone seemed to have a great time. I know I did, and as a result, I now have several more people back in my life who should have been there all along.

The one I went to last night was different- in that it was arranged for THREE school years, of which mine was the "middle one". Needless to say, I knew far fewer people there and the net result was a big bar full of people where everyone actually DOES look familiar but you really can't place them. That was quite disconcerting.

But yet again, the top two tables in the room were by the end jammed with people I knew, and there was none of the bitchiness, simmering jealousy and hatred and years-old sexual tension you might expect. Variously we were the long-term unemployed, business owners, nurses, mums, grandmothers, shop workers, Midge Ure and Barbara Dixon's drummer, a local band rock god, programmers, civil servants, divorced, single, married and everything else. Including me. Time flew, it was suddenly midnight, we said our goodbyes, a bunch went on to "the Chavelock", much to everyone else's amusement, and I walked home.

SBT

Richmond Clements

QuoteIn the intervening 25 years, everyone had grown up.

Mmmm... that's a good point!
Incredible as it may seem there are probably people from my school saying the same thing about me..!

Roger Godpleton

My gag reflex is way too trigger happy with bad smells.

Hoagy

There is a fleck of dirt on the underside of my mobile phone screen. While pondering how I get it out I also waste time on how it got in and which route it could have taken.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Roger Godpleton

KFC, Milton Keynes. Somewhat of a less salubrious crowd had coalesced. My unconscious somehow dictates that I stand in an effeminate manner. As much as I can without showing off.

Queuing for the bus. Two sets of people try to pay with notes not coins. There is an arcade across the road with a change machine. When there isn't, go to the corner shop and buy a goddamn fucking freezepop. I expected this from the first set of dolly birds but not from the girl with the boyish haircut. Luckily it later turned out she was actually buying a weekly pass.

I can still marry her.

BTW, Van Der Graff Generator (the band) + bus noises = A winning combination.

Roger Godpleton

The nearest ATM to my house got burnt by some miscreants who had clearly not read the second volume of Criminal.

Some of the bread I got from the Co-op that was attached to said cash point tasted of gas.

The Legendary Shark

Maybe they were heroic anti-capitalists.

Or maybe they were just drunken hoodies.

Same thing, really.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

House of Usher

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 22 August, 2010, 09:00:46 PM
My unconscious somehow dictates that I stand in an effeminate manner. As much as I can without showing off.

I say go the whole hog: get yourself a green carnation for your buttonhole.
STRIKE !!!