Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Hard Drives are so cheap these days I guess that's the best option.

M@

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Banners on 05 January, 2011, 10:48:17 PM
Hard Drives are so cheap these days I guess that's the best option.

M@

Kinda what I thought! Cheers!

Mikey

I had to do a presentation to some academic bods today on my project. It's meant to be a chance for some feedback on what you've done, suggestions on methodolgy etc. The panel should be people who, like, know your subject area and junk and should include your supervisor.

My supervisor didn't weigh in and the other peeps what know about that thing I do are on leave, so what was the point exactly? Waste a fuckin time, that's what. :rolleyes:

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Kerrin

Did you take the opportunity to call them a bucket of c*nts Mikey?

Mikey

Keef Monkey

I'm 30 today :(

I'm sure 30 isn't actually that old, but I'm a bit of a miserable sod by default so cue lots of soul searching!

Mikey

Happy birthday Keef!

30 you say? Pfft! You are but a youngling!

M.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Mikey on 07 January, 2011, 09:25:43 AM
Happy birthday Keef!

30 you say? Pfft! You are but a youngling!

M.

Thanks! I've decided to spend the day drinking fizzy pop and playing video games in an effort to stunt any maturity that might set in.

On a happy 2000AD-related note, my girlfriend tracked down and bought the prog from the week I was born which I thought was a pretty awesomely thoughtful thing to do. The situation has been upgraded from minor impediment to major groovy.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 January, 2011, 11:25:55 AM
my girlfriend tracked down and bought the prog from the week I was born

The fact that this is even an option for you depresses me!

Happy Birthday you young whippersnapper!

Kerrin

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 January, 2011, 07:17:08 AM
I'm 30 today :(

Happy Birthday!

If it makes you feel any better I'm 40 tomorrow. Oh Christ, that hasn't helped me at all. I think I might just start drinking now and stop some time Sunday.

radiator

...Because one of my girlfriend's friends is getting married this summer in Italy and I have to pay out for flights, hotels for a whole weekend, new suit etc.

But the thing is - I hardly even know the couple who are getting married - I've literally met them two or three times - and we have to travel, and stay with a lot of my girlfriend's mates and their partners, all of whom I have precisely zero in common with, and a couple of whom are utter twats (my girlfriend doesn't have much in common with them either, but they are mostly her childhood friends...).

I've already had a few minor rows about this with my girlfriend, but I think it's a bit unreasonable/presumptuous to hold your wedding abroad and essentially force innocent bystanders like me to fork out hundreds of pounds to attend. Any of you lot agree?

I should point out that neither the bride nor groom have any Italian blood.

Kerrin

It's a knotty problem if your girlfriend is really up for going. If it was me I'd realise that it was my auntie's/uncle's/part time postman's 60th/barmitzvah/funeral, and swerve it.

TordelBack

I've felt that way about weddings (of my wife's friends/family) that were just down the country, but entailed an expensive multi-night hotel stay, and it can be a hell of an imposition.  However,  the one wedding I've been to in Italy (in Lucca, again a friend of the missus) turned out to be a really great trip.  I'd suggest trying to make it into a mini-holiday, work out where and when you actually need to be around the wedding party, and plan some sidetrips.  Nearly everybody that went to the Lucca wedding did this (some actually made a week out of it), and the couple had actually arranged for guides for walking tours in between the ceremony and the meal/party. There's a lot of hanging about involved in most weddings, see if you can make the most of it.

radiator

Thanks for your suggestions, but the flights are already booked. There was never any question that I'd be able to avoid it - my girlfriend would instantly see through an excuse if I did try.

I know I should try and make the most of it, but the people that will be attending.... I don't want to be nasty about it - some of them I can get along with perfectly fine when they pop round for a cup of tea, but when they're in a group I find it very hard to get along with them - especially the blokes who are unbearable arseholes almost without exception. Very laddish, shallow, preening types who I find it almost impossible to even make small talk with.

Had to go to a wedding reception with the same crowd last summer and though we were only there for a couple of hours I found it very trying. I'm genuinely dreading a whole weekend of it... :(

Perhaps I could try and get some valium for the flight...

TordelBack

Ouch.  I went to a wedding a few years ago with a similar-sounding crowd, and it was pretty grim. Happily the hotel venue had a swimming pool in the basement which missus, sprog and I vanished off to as soon as each compulsory element ended.  Quite funny hanging up a tux in a pool changing room.  The rest of the time I tried to be as drunk as possible.  Whereabouts in Italy are you off to, Radiator?