Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 January, 2011, 02:28:17 PM(My own 40th looms this year and I'm starting to wish I'd just gone to Carousel when the time came).

I'm too busy drokking Jenny Agutter to care.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 January, 2011, 02:26:01 PM
My work is drawn from a very small pool of potential employers, so repeat business is essential to me. It's as important to me that I know I have more work coming as it is to get paid for the jobs currently undertaken, so I have to be very diplomatic when undertaking credit control.
Your business can clearly survive a rather more robust attitude to payment than mine, which would be eviscerated if I did much more than issue intermittent polite reminders that occasionally border on the reproachful!

This is the balancing act alright.  Extending payment deadlines for those clients you believe to be worthwhile, jumping on those you believe are about to screw you, without getting yourself a bad reputation.  Unfortunately it's now become impossible to make effective judgements - decent reliable clients of many years standing can be screwed by their own clients or banks and unable to pay, and because you trust them you're more likely to have let them run up substantial bills.  One of my better clients, who is in partnership with my best client,  has owed me €40K for a year now, with gentle but firm and persistent nudging from me, meaning I've owed my bank that sum, and they are not as... forgiving as I am.  Now I have to get that money back or go under forthwith, but how to do it without scuppering a huge chunk of my future business.  Jeebus even talking about it gives me a headache.

SuperSurfer

On the subject of running a business I prefer working on the premises of other companies, getting paid by the hour rather than being paid one sum for a complete project to do from home. If the company I am working for or their clients piss about then I get paid to be on their premises while they piss about.

Got my fingers burnt enough times in the past. Not saying I have learnt my lessons but at least I feel I did good in going against my nature recently in turning down some work which would have drained my time and energy. I told one of these guys that they should just go direct to their printer. 

Oh, and happy day of birth Kerrin.

vzzbux

We had a meeting today and out site manager told us he has been put on a redundancy notice of 90 days. We were supposed to be due a pay increase but this news seems to have given them another 3 months play. To top it all they have lost a major contract to Virgin Media up at Teeside. With no new contracts signed yet on other sites the future looks bleak for our employers.
The only good thing is that if a new company gets the contract for Leicester we will be shoehorned into that company.
TBH it would be their own fault for the way they treat us.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 January, 2011, 02:26:01 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 08 January, 2011, 02:09:55 PM
You make it sound like i am in the wrong here where all i want is to do the work to the best of my abilities so that everything is 100 percent and be paid for it promptly and without any nonsense.

As is your right.

My work is drawn from a very small pool of potential employers, so repeat business is essential to me. It's as important to me that I know I have more work coming as it is to get paid for the jobs currently undertaken, so I have to be very diplomatic when undertaking credit control. Doubly so when you consider that editors from different publishers talk to each other, and often move between companies. A reputation -- deserved or not -- for being "difficult" will follow you around and prove very hard to shake.

Your business can clearly survive a rather more robust attitude to payment than mine, which would be eviscerated if I did much more than issue intermittent polite reminders that occasionally border on the reproachful!

Cheers

Jim

I totally understand your point and your situation but mine is not quite the same and what i am talking about is only something i would consider in certain situations only but there are those types of people around [especially here] who will try it on and it would make me see red if someone was clearly trying to avoid paying for no good reason.As for what i am like i dont even like owing someone a fiver if its outstanding for any length of time.

I had to pay my scaffolder in full recently after only 1 week of the scaffolder providing the service after he called me up saying he couldnt wait any longer for it so i paid up in full because quite honestly i dont like the stress caused by owing money to anyone and having them breathing down my neck day after day.I like to have a clean conscience with no worries and no stress.

Thankfully it hasnt been necessary as everyone i have done work for lately have been absolutely fine.As for what i was talking about i wouldnt go for that course of action without giving it some serious thought first and it is a last resort and its only something i would consider if the client is dodgy.

All i am saying is i have my limits and i will never let it go.My dad is just the same and in some ways he is worse than i am and even more militant about it than i am and he is always asking if i am having any problems with being paid.

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 January, 2011, 03:03:37 PM

This is the balancing act alright.  Extending payment deadlines for those clients you believe to be worthwhile, jumping on those you believe are about to screw you, without getting yourself a bad reputation.  Unfortunately it's now become impossible to make effective judgements - decent reliable clients of many years standing can be screwed by their own clients or banks and unable to pay, and because you trust them you're more likely to have let them run up substantial bills.  One of my better clients, who is in partnership with my best client,  has owed me €40K for a year now, with gentle but firm and persistent nudging from me, meaning I've owed my bank that sum, and they are not as... forgiving as I am.  Now I have to get that money back or go under forthwith, but how to do it without scuppering a huge chunk of my future business.  Jeebus even talking about it gives me a headache.

I understand that as well as its a chain where one thing affects another etc but ultimately their financial problems which are not your problem create financial problems for yourself so its a difficult situation and they might be your best clients but they will only be your best clients when they finally pay you.

How forgiving and understanding and patient are you expected to be ?

Anyway i sincerely hope you can resolve it amicably.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

I, Cosh

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 January, 2011, 07:17:08 AM
I'm 30 today :(

I'm sure 30 isn't actually that old, but I'm a bit of a miserable sod by default so cue lots of soul searching!
On the bright side, you're a lot younger than you look! Oh, that's not right. I mean, er... Happy birthday.  :D

You were born on the same day as my pal Siobhan. What are the chances of that, eh?
We never really die.

Rog69

I was due to go swimming with the wife, kids and a bunch of the other mums from my daughter's school but I showed a little bit too much enthusiasm when the wife mentioned the name of a certain milftastic mummy who would also be going.
I am now banned from the event  :(.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Cosh on 08 January, 2011, 06:37:38 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 January, 2011, 07:17:08 AM
I'm 30 today :(

I'm sure 30 isn't actually that old, but I'm a bit of a miserable sod by default so cue lots of soul searching!
On the bright side, you're a lot younger than you look! Oh, that's not right. I mean, er... Happy birthday.  :D

You were born on the same day as my pal Siobhan. What are the chances of that, eh?

Cheers Cosh! And happy birthday Kerrin, hope you had a good one!

mogzilla

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 January, 2011, 02:34:16 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 08 January, 2011, 02:28:17 PM(My own 40th looms this year and I'm starting to wish I'd just gone to Carousel when the time came).

rohypnol's a wonderful thing!

Noisybast

Quote from: Rog69 on 08 January, 2011, 07:50:12 PM
I was due to go swimming with the wife, kids and a bunch of the other mums from my daughter's school but I showed a little bit too much enthusiasm when the wife mentioned the name of a certain milftastic mummy who would also be going.
I am now banned from the event  :(.

Disaster! :D
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

DrRocka

I got called a bitch on the IMDB dredd forum.
Which upset me immensely.
Never ever bloody anything ever

JOE SOAP

JOE SOAP

mogzilla

yes,but do you know what shes been putting in your tea? :D

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 09 January, 2011, 01:22:21 PM
Quote from: mogzilla on 09 January, 2011, 11:43:46 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 January, 2011, 02:34:16 PM

rohypnol's a wonderful thing!

No need when you're bangin' a 70's broad.

As I understand it, all that's required is to say "let's have sex".