Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

The venue we were going to use for our album launch are now saying that due to noise complaints they probably can't let us play at full strength. Thought it was all sorted, now we need to find somewhere else and for the cost and size I thought we had the perfect deal there. The next possibility is way more expensive and we're trying to keep it a free entry night. Annoyance.

TordelBack

-sigh-  A client has finally sent me half the additional tender info I asked for a week ago, 30 minutes before the submission deadline, and I now have to revise my tender with (still) a gigantic amount of guesswork and get it in by 5.  Then I have to drive through rush hour traffic to my night shift. 

Best get on.

maryanddavid

I hear you, at work we have consultants constantly spec'ing oddball and  expensive material for government jobs, because they are in the pay of the manufacturers and distributors. When any problems or spares are needed, there is of course a two month wait and costs the earth.
Most of these fittings end up being replaced by off the shelf spurious material, that costs a quarter of the price, has the same compoments, and spares are easily available.
Anyway, works OK otherwise!

David 

Mikey

Got a flat tyre last night on the way home - I'd hit something lumpy on the road and discovered my flat a good few miles along, while overtaking a lorry at 70mph. This is the first time I've had to change the wheel on my own car - made all the more difficult in the dark side road I'd hobbled to, as I'd cleared my boot out of useful things, like my torch and hi vis jacket, to cart stuff to the tip last week end. The only person who stopped to offer help, by way of a torch, was a cyclist but I had it pretty much sorted by then.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

House of Usher

I bought a floating silicone cup for egg poaching. I tried it out. It's crap. It takes more than 20 minutes to poach an egg, and the yolk falls right out. Better off just cracking an egg into a frying pan of boiling water.
STRIKE !!!

Dandontdare

Quote from: House of Usher on 10 February, 2011, 09:52:38 PM
I bought a floating silicone cup for egg poaching. I tried it out. It's crap. It takes more than 20 minutes to poach an egg, and the yolk falls right out. Better off just cracking an egg into a frying pan of boiling water.

I bought a couple of those recently and I'm quite impressed. They do take a bit longer, but make perfect eggs. The trick is to rub the inside with a teeny bit of oil or butter so the egg white doesn't stick. The impressive thing about them is that they're so heat resistant you can lift them out of the boiling water with your fingers.

vzzbux

I find poaching an egg better in a sauce pan with deep boiling water, stir water then crack an egg into the eddy, leave to simmer for 5 to 10 mins for preference.
You could also place a sliver of cling film over a bowl, crack an egg into it, ball and tie off end, place into a saucepan of boiling water and simmer for 4 to 8 mins for pereference.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

SmallBlueThing

Youre all phillistines. You need vinegar in the water to poach an egg.
SBT

House of Usher

Delia Smith reckons the trick is to break the eggs into simmering water for one minute, not boiling water, to seal them, then take it off the boil and leave the eggs sitting in hot water to set. She doesn't say for how long.

Another of Delia's top tips is to break the eggs one at a time. Clever that. I've never tried to break eggs two or three at a time - I don't have giant hands - but one day I may give it a go.
STRIKE !!!

staticgirl

The cling film version is probably the easiest. I'd never successfully made poached eggs before I discovered that method.

It's interesting that on every geek website I visit we have ALL discussed different methods of making poached eggs. :)

mogzilla

dry fry are best if you have a good non stick pan.

Hoagy

I'm hopeless at poached eggs. They're frustrating. They look like you are doing the right thing then as the yellow cooks to its required level, the white separates.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

mogzilla

maybe some sort of tight meshy "bag" to keep the bugger bound for the couple of mins ?

Roger Godpleton

Eggs are stupid. Are you so fat and lazy that you can't be bothered to walk to get McMuffins, Dr Kernyte?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

vzzbux

Quote from: mogzilla on 12 February, 2011, 10:01:15 PM
maybe some sort of tight meshy "bag" to keep the bugger bound for the couple of mins ?
That's all the cling film method is really.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.