Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 May, 2014, 06:05:27 PM
Good point. Although it is a source of constant surprise and ongoing frustration to me that people continue to believe what these opinionpapers tell them. It's almost as if papers like the Mail, the Sun and all the rest of them were competing to see which one of them can get the most people at each others' throats...

Thankfully it's not so true anymore.  The combined circulation of all UK national daily papers is roughly 8 million total -- a far cry from their heyday.  Despite their blustering they have very little influence anymore.  Most of my teenage students have never even looked at a newspaper.

Dandontdare

Quote from: A.Cow on 03 May, 2014, 12:53:22 AM
Most of my teenage students have never even looked at a newspaper.

This makes me sad in so many ways

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 May, 2014, 06:05:27 PM
Good point. Although it is a source of constant surprise and ongoing frustration to me that people continue to believe what these opinionpapers tell them. It's almost as if papers like the Mail, the Sun and all the rest of them were competing to see which one of them can get the most people at each others' throats...

as long as they are at each others throats they won't be attacking the real enemy
DDT did a job on me

Professor Bear

The kind of people who read the Mail already believe what the paper's saying and it isn't putting anyone at anyone else's throat, it's merely cheerleading prejudices to attract those who hold such views in the old-media version of clickbaiting, the vast majority of what they call "filler" articles being the old-media version of a content farm.
I don't think that anyone at all would have their mind changed by a hatchet piece in a newspaper with links to the Nazi party any more than I believe that a Mail reader who reads a Guardian article will suddenly stop hating black people and women - from what I can gather, if a Mail reader reads a Guardian article they're far more likely to camp out in the comments section of the paper's website repeatedly blaming the Guardian/Obama/liberals/America for whatever ills the article reports upon.

ZenArcade

I visit the Guardian comments page daily for some light entertainment (never to comment). It is populated by some right wingnuts. The football comments are high comedy. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Gah, my bloody overnight shift has been cancelled at 2 hours notice - and I've already spent the now-vanished money on a tent!  Foolish Tordelback, will you never learn!

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Quote from: ZenArcade on 05 May, 2014, 03:38:28 PM
Bummer, dude! Z

Ennh, I'll just lose myself in some Buffy and then a therapeutic invoicing frenzy instead. Nothing says 'pay me NOW or I'll gut you like a Taun-taun' like e-mails sent late at night on a bank holiday.

As I type, my wife is waving an 8-year-old bottle of Autan Family midge repellent at me.  My luck could be in after all. 

Rog69

My wife has agreed to help out with the local cub camp in a couple of weeks time which entails staying away for two nights. She hasn't twigged yet that it is my birthday weekend and for my pressie we had planned to go out and see Godzilla (a film event up there with Dredd or a new Star Wars flick for me) and go for a nice meal.

I haven't mentioned it because I don't want her to cancel helping the cubs as they always struggle for helpers. I am a bit annoyed though, not so much because I'm missing my night out but because when the penny does drop, her particular brand of female logic dictates that it will have been all my fault.

Cyberleader2000

today was my birthday but the only good thing to happen today is I had a day off from college I know I have at least 3 presents but the first one I wont see till saturday when me and some friends go see a film as a late extra birthday fun seeing as my friends had to work today the second present I wont see till next month and the last one I problay want see till setember. hell I did not even get a card or birthday cake today whats worses my mum so far has miss this birthday last birthday and x-mas presents saying see whill get me back dated presents some time :(
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime

GrinningChimera

Quote from: Cyberleader2000 on 05 May, 2014, 11:12:22 PM
today was my birthday but the only good thing to happen today is I had a day off from college I know I have at least 3 presents but the first one I wont see till saturday when me and some friends go see a film as a late extra birthday fun seeing as my friends had to work today the second present I wont see till next month and the last one I problay want see till setember. hell I did not even get a card or birthday cake today whats worses my mum so far has miss this birthday last birthday and x-mas presents saying see whill get me back dated presents some time :(

Just remember, GC still loves ya!

Oh and Happy Birthday. I would say have a good one but I suppose there is little chance of that happening huh. If it makes you feel any better you're not alone.

Hawkmumbler

I did sweet fuck all for my 18th. I was in the middle of my own "great depression" so I shunned everyones attempts to make it a great ine. I regret this no end. Enjoy what you and your friends have got planned and make sure yu treasure it. :)

TordelBack

Happy birthday, CL2K!  Try to focus on the good stuff to come, it's great that you have friends to go to the cinema with, and a mother who loves you, even if she's sloppy on punctuality. 

And remember when you get to my age birthday presents can consist of a large jar of marmite and a DVD to watch with the kids!

(Although that is what I asked for).

Theblazeuk

My 21st was good or so I'm told.

I don't remember much after we arrived at the bar with the £2 cocktails. And my friends all bought me one... Next thing I know I'm in a strange room and it's morning time.

GrinningChimera

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 06 May, 2014, 10:44:35 AM
Next thing I know I'm in a strange room and it's morning time.

Were there bars on the windows?