Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Wee bit of Montezumas revenge going on there KP. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 January, 2015, 08:02:57 PM

Always been a dream of mine, but as I've got a secure (cheapish) flat and mooring/purchase fees aren't cheap, not to mention a lifetime's accumulation of comics'n'shit, means it will always be a dream, but I wish you all the best in your aquatic reinvention.

Thanks very much, DDD.  Since I went travelling a few years ago I've learned to enjoy not having many possessions (also, much of my physical storage space has now been transferred to Computerland).  I don't think the mooring fees are half as steep here as they are in the UK - but then again there are more or less feck all  facilities for houseboat owners.  So we'll see what happens.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: ZenArcade on 11 January, 2015, 08:15:29 PM
Wee bit of Montezumas revenge going on there KP. Z

Not quite. Let's just say my Carbon Footprint has increased dramatically.
You may quote me on that.

ZenArcade

Something of a methane spike....if it were Mars, you'd be front page news. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 January, 2015, 08:19:44 PMI don't think the mooring fees are half as steep here as they are in the UK - but then again there are more or less feck all  facilities for houseboat owners.

Get yourself up to Athlone for a look - thriving houseboat scene on the Shannon/Lough Ree last time I was there (two years ago), and reasonable enough by all accounts. Fancy it myself but for the sprogs.

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks TB; actually my brother lives there.  I'm in Leixlip though; where there's another little narrowboat community, and I'll probably start here when it finally happens.  I suppose the beauty of it is though, I can do both!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

radiator

Moaned about this before, but 'kin hell! Trying to put some music onto my new phone. Set the phone to 'manually manage music and videos' so theoretically I can drag and drop. Drag music from my work computer to my phone. Simple.

Go home, try and drag the music from my home computer's iTunes library (signed into same iTunes ID) to my phone. It won't let me. Go into settings, click 'manually manage music and videos', but when I click 'apply' it says doing so will delete all of the music and videos on my phone.

It would be so, so simple for them to make drag and drop easy and intuitive, but they keep trying to force syncing and playlists on us. Why? What is the logic behind this? Is it beyond their comprehension that someone might own/use more than one computer? Consider myself a huge fan of Apple, but this particular quirk drives me up the bloody wall.

Richmond Clements

I use Copy Trans. They have a free version that works brilliantly and it a lot easier to use than itunes.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 13 January, 2015, 08:02:00 PM
I use Copy Trans. They have a free version that works brilliantly and it a lot easier to use than itunes.
Might give this a try.

My own current irritation with Apple is that they changed the way the music library is organised on your iPod a few months ago. It used to be a three level menu: Artist > Album > Tracks. For some unholy reason, they decided that it would be better if it went: Artist > Tracks (grouped by album, but running into each other.) I can just about accept that some people would rather have it the new way, but why on Earth can't I have the option to leave it as it was.

Would be perfectly happy to be called an idiot if it also means that I can set it back.
We never really die.

A.Cow

Quote from: radiator on 13 January, 2015, 07:55:58 PM
Is it beyond their comprehension that someone might own/use more than one computer? Consider myself a huge fan of Apple, but this particular quirk drives me up the bloody wall.

Apple have always worked on the principle that they believe that they know what you want better than you do.  The breathtaking arrogance of their design team is something to behold.

Their clever lifestyle brainwashing means that, like a boy band, they can do whatever they like and their fans will lap it up.

Unfortunately, Microsoft & Google now slavishly copy Apple's "customer is always wrong" philosophy -- but without the critical brainwashing -- and the poor consumer is left to pick up the pieces.  It's New Coke waiting to happen again.

The Legendary Shark

Open source?
Always worth a look to see what there is.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I, Cosh

Man who starts cooking chilli at half nine at night can look forward to having dinner for breakfast.
We never really die.

radiator

I ended up using a third-party app, which did get the music off my phone (so I could copy everything back on), but in the process it split loads of albums up into separate albums, so tracks 1,8 and 9 are on one album, the rest on another album with exactly the same info and cover art. All the usual methods of merging the albums (editing the info data etc) refuse to work. It's an OCD nightmare!

von Boom

Check out VLC as an iTunes alternative. If Apple pulled it from their app store they must be doing something right.

http://www.videolan.org/index.html

A.Cow

Quote from: von Boom on 18 January, 2015, 01:17:47 PM
Check out VLC as an iTunes alternative. If Apple pulled it from their app store they must be doing something right.
http://www.videolan.org/index.html

Yup.  Apple tried to put illegal restrictions on the free VLC player.  They had two choices: adjust their draconian money-grabbing regulations for the good of customers, or block the app.  Guess which they chose?