Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

First week day off in months.

Neighbours have builders in.

Tombo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 13 February, 2015, 03:25:14 PM
Why not invent a kind of box with a one-way slot/flap in it through which large parcels can be inserted, kind of like those night-deposit safes you sometimes see outside banks and post offices? The flap closes and dispenses one numbered/dated Deposit Receipt for Captain Yodel. You could call them Parcel Guardians and sell the idea to somebody for something in order to retire and go and live on an island somewhere.

Amazon (and I think E-bay) use something similar on some campuses in America.  A series of lockers with digital combination locks.  The delivery guy puts the customers order in and locks it with a general locking code and the locker generates a unique opening code which is texted/e-mailed to the customer who has seven days to collect their package.

We were going to get something similar in Argos for e-bay customers but they decided to use a different system (stuffs kept behind the counter) when they realised that some of our branches tend to be thief magnets.  It's working though, we get twenty plus e-bay collections every day in our branch.

Dandontdare

Morrisons supermarkets also have a locker-style click and collect service

The Legendary Shark

Dang, and here was me thinking I was being clever and original :-(  Well, maybe one day I will... maybe.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

Yep Sharky invention just aint you...now back with you to the Political and conspiracy threads. Z :D
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Grugz

work are having a laff! not only am I being investigated for "gross misconduct" I am now being threatened with disciplinary action cos my boss didn't do my dbs check properly, and as I have been off long term assumed it had been sorted! as it was done in june! so I have to go to a meeting after my union one and go through all my stuff again which may be a huge waste of time as theyre trying to sack me anyway.
I dunno about the "you cant handle the truth " thread you wanna work for the "caring" nhs for plots conspiracies,underhand corruption and blatant lies.
part of me wants to get binned then i'll be free of the main cause of stress in my life. ::)
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

Quote from: Tombo on 16 February, 2015, 01:18:52 PM

Amazon (and I think E-bay) use something similar on some campuses in America.  A series of lockers with digital combination locks.  The delivery guy puts the customers order in and locks it with a general locking code and the locker generates a unique opening code which is texted/e-mailed to the customer who has seven days to collect their package.

I encountered a bunch of such lockers (for Amazon deliveries, I believe) on the top floor of Intu (formerly known as The Glades. I still think of it as that most of the time.) in Bromley a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know how long they've been there as it's not a part of the shopping centre I go to regularly as the shops are all on the lower two floors. If it wasn't for a call of nature and the shutting down the toilets on the   lowest floor I'd still he oblivious to them.

I hasten to add, they have toilets on the top floor. I did not pee in one of the lockers.

Banners

Delivery guy from Yodel just walked into our house, claiming he thought we had a porch(!)

Professor Bear

Given how fucked Yodel apparantly is, he's probably casing your place for when he's let go and has to fall back on his original occupation.  That started out as a snarky comment but I'm actually not sure now.

Many years ago I had a lucky escape from a fire, and I may have mentioned the downstairs flat's tremendous skunk-based stench seeping up through the floorboards and ruining everything in my linen cupboard, but now, because their fire alarm goes off all the time - and not just when one of them falls asleep while using the fryer - the downstairs occupants had the bright idea of taking the smoke alarm out the back and smashing it to bits.  Whatever it is they're smoking or doing down there, I've had to take the battery out of my own fire alarm because it keeps going off, so I might die in a fire yet, closing some sort of Final Destination-style loop of karmic fate.

The Legendary Shark

Don't some modern alarms key off heat? Maybe a couple of those might work for you instead.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

You're operating without a T437, Springfield? My God, this can't be happening!

I know that grasses traditionally walk with matching limps in Norn Iron, if at all,  but seriously Brigonos 'ol bear, you need to sort that out toot sweet. If not for yourself, for Li'l Dickhead.

A.Cow

Quote from: Mardroid on 23 February, 2015, 12:25:30 AM
I encountered a bunch of such lockers (for Amazon deliveries, I believe) on the top floor of Intu (formerly known as The Glades. I still think of it as that most of the time.) in Bromley a couple of weeks ago.

The big problem with the Amazon lockers is that a fair proportion of stuff from Amazon CAN'T actually be delivered to them.

It's utter stupidity, given that they are a computer-controlled mailbox.  It's not rocket science for any Amazon-related parcel to have a code number on the front that allows a postal worker to deposit the item into the appropriate box -- regardless of where it originates.  Heck, Amazon could even offer a third-party service to other companies (e.g. Argos) for a fee.

Tiplodocus

Got a crack in my ribs playing footy last night. It hurts.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!