Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Come on, Fishy - you can still help. You talk like the game's over; it ain't. The rules have changed, that's all. You're a smart and devoted guy, you'll figure it out.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Something Fishy

Thanks sharky.  Not so much financially anymore unless I can find a new line of work within my limitations.

But I can definitely help him in other ways.

And I've given him 18 years, which is 18 years more than mine gave me so that something  :D

staticgirl

18 was traditionally when parents withdrew their financial support in the old days.

Yes your support may not be financial but your emotional support is far more important. I've only just finished paying for my studies in my mid 40s but it's knowing my mum would be there for me with love and advice that got me through it. I learned so much and whilst I was grieving for my dad I did enjoy my studies tremendously and they have continued to be useful. In fact I am doing some post grad qualifications whilst I work at the moment and highly enjoying a second crack at being a student, albeit part time. It reminds me what I loved about university.

Something Fishy

Yes that is so true.  I got that from my mum, she could never do much financially but gave so much emotional support.  I'll always be there for my boy too.

Studying again sounds lovely, it's something I'm seriously looking at now I'm stopping working and whilst I still have something left in the eyes.  Like you I loved education.

richerthanyou

I have 4 days to find somewhere to live. The place I was looking at fell through.

Starting to panic now...
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Mardroid

Quote from: richerthanyou on 16 February, 2016, 04:50:35 AM
I have 4 days to find somewhere to live. The place I was looking at fell through.

Starting to panic now...

Sorry to hear that. Don't panic though, that won't help you think straight.

I don't think people can just throw you out, anyway. You have rights.
Have you done the usual things? Registered on Council Waiting list and with housing associations, etc? (Granted they might take time to come through?)
I'm sure someone with better knowledge and experience than me on here can advise you better. It might be a good idea to contact Citizens Advice Bureau to discuss your situation. They can at least aim you in the right direction.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Mardroid on 16 February, 2016, 08:29:19 AM

I don't think people can just throw you out, anyway. You have rights.

In theory, yes. In practice, no.

Can you ask your landlord for an extension while you find another place? Even if he/she says no, they'll still need to get a court order to evict you, which will give you another few weeks at least while the rigmarole is gone through.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Not sure what jurisdiction you're in RTY, but there's bound to be an organisation that handles housing rights (Threshold in the RoI) even if it's just Citizen's Advice. Like Mardroid says, don't panic, see what they can do for you about finding somewhere temporary or extending your current stay, and maybe talk to your landlord about it: maybe they even know of other suitable properties. Best not to fall out with your landlord if you can avoid it, or lack of references could make finding somewhere new even harder.

Mikey

Quote from: staticgirl on 12 February, 2016, 03:36:02 PMIn fact I am doing some post grad qualifications whilst I work at the moment and highly enjoying a second crack at being a student, albeit part time.

It'll get you nowhere that attitude. Education is only about employment you know! As an aside, I was a full time student once and I by and large hated virtually every moment of it. I'm vaguely jealous of people who had enjoyable experiences of it!

On a not unrelated note, I still have no permanent employment, though thankfully got a short contract thing that saw me over the end of last year to now.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Hawkmumbler

Just got my BCD and reg's back in from servicing. £110! Jeeeeesus! :o

The Legendary Shark

So, it turns out that when a solicitor says "no win, no fee" he actually means "so long as I don't have to do anything and the opposition folds instantly without my having to lift a finger or make any 'phone calls or write any letters, no fee." A solicitor being misleading - who'd have believed it possible?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

It's that old joke all over again:

How do you tell if a solicitor is lying? His lips are moving.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Tordelback on 04 February, 2016, 05:06:07 PM
I make 12-14 journeys on this tram a week. At least twice a week someone sits beside me who has apparently shat themselves, puked on themselves or not washed for a couple of months.  And that's not counting the folk that reek of booze, gas, solvent or that wonderful sour heroin smell.

Right now I'm in danger of vomitting myself, as the gent beside me appears to have been eating particularly noxious catshit, and keeps picking at his teeth and heavily exhaling in my direction.  I've never smelled anything like it, and I dig cesspits for living and use building site toilets. Two rows down there's a junkie with a puppy loudly threatening to murder the next person who looks at him, so I'm not keen on drawing attention to myself by forcing my way down the carriage.

One in six journeys seems a little frequent for this kind of thing, even for a line that links two major hospitals, several courts, and runs from the inner city to some ofvtoughest parts of the Western suburbs (Cheeverstown I'm looking at you).

Add to that the line closed by at least one signal failure or RTA a week, and at least one violent incident,  and I do wonder what the heck is going on.

How is the job at the Dublin Tourist Office going by the way?
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Heh!  Well I'm paying for dissing the tram now, as the bloody thing is on strike, and I've now been sitting on a packed bus for 1.5hrs and I'm nowhere near home yet. Come back catshit man, all is forgiven!

von Boom

Isn't it amazing how much you'll put up with in a really shitty service when the alternative is even shittier.