Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Indigo Prime has issued a mod warning about continuing this nonsense just 6 posts upthread.. No need for anyone else to get involved.

Please don't force the locking of this thread - I'm still waiting to see if Bouwel ever found a pencil pot he was happy with.

Hawkmumbler

Well thanks for all the input chaps, frankly i'm amazed so many other countries have auto as a standard.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Old Tankie

hippynumber1

If it's on the ball it's going to smart either way. Of the foot, I mean...

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Stings like buggery. On the plus side, I've had a bit of work recently so the hour+ walk to work has become a 15 minute hobble to a bus stop.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 March, 2016, 12:09:43 AMManuals are better in the snow and off-road, too.
I used to think the same, until I discovered a great many of the vehicles in use in Iceland are autos. I think these days, with cars increasingly becoming computers, and automatic transmission being significantly better than it once was, it's probably more the appearance of more control than a literal thing — at least for most people. Also, while you might be right regarding off-roading, a great many people drive in town, city and motorway conditions, and on those a manual car is more a distraction than anything.

Quoteit made me a lazy driver
In what way? I've always found my driving in automatics more precise with things like indicating, because there's less to physically 'do'.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 March, 2016, 02:11:44 PM
Out of curiosity, whats the problem with automatics?

I guess the main reasons to choose a manual transmission vehicle are pragmatic.
For us (UK & Ireland) there is the fact that the majority of vehicles (including 2nd hand) available to purchase are manual transmission.
Manual transmission gear boxes are also easier (and cheaper) to repair.
However, I am aware that there is increasing availability of choice between automatic or manual with new cars from some of the leading manufacturers.

If it's any consolation to you, I had the exact same line of thought when I was starting to drive (18 or 19) and was laughed out of the house by my Dad and Uncle like I was Marge Simpson mooting to join the Springfield Police Force.
The wise advice of practice & perseverance offered here on the forum also worked for me, and I had a full licence on my 20th birthday (meaning my car insurance dropped from £4500 (Irish Pounds) to a measly £3000 (Irish Pounds).   ::)

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 March, 2016, 09:24:11 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 March, 2016, 12:09:43 AMManuals are better in the snow and off-road, too.
I used to think the same, until I discovered a great many of the vehicles in use in Iceland are autos. I think these days, with cars increasingly becoming computers, and automatic transmission being significantly better than it once was, it's probably more the appearance of more control than a literal thing — at least for most people. Also, while you might be right regarding off-roading, a great many people drive in town, city and motorway conditions, and on those a manual car is more a distraction than anything.

Quoteit made me a lazy driver
In what way? I've always found my driving in automatics more precise with things like indicating, because there's less to physically 'do'.

It's possibly an old-fashioned attitude on my part, I'm willing to accept that. It was the very fact that I had "less to do" that made me feel a lazy driver. In my opinion, having a manual gearbox forces one to concentrate more on the vehicle being driven, to be more aware of the engine, speed and general state of it and the road and conditions. Having that one less thing to think about gave me time to faff about with the radio and whatnot, to daydream a bit more and pay less attention to what I was doing. Also, there's nothing so satisfying in quite the same way as knocking it down a cog to blast past a tractor on a country road.

I suppose it's down to personal preference more than anything and my feeling that an automatic detracts slightly from the skill required to be an attentive driver. I have nothing against automatics in principle and many people swear by them, which is fine and dandy, I just prefer a manual.

I have not driven a modern automatic and so they may well be better than the older ones I'm used to. Still, I'm unlikely to ever buy one or even rent one due to my ingrained prejudice on this issue. Maybe when I'm old and doddery I might change my mind but, for now, I'm happy with my old-fashioned manual bias!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 March, 2016, 10:05:39 AM
Also, there's nothing so satisfying in quite the same way as knocking it down a cog to blast past a tractor on a country road.

Agreed, and something I've to do quite a bit!

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]