Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

So DDD, myself and Red Rum all trained on Southport beach. Keep that factoid in mind, kids, in case there one day arises a Forum Trivia Quiz...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

I registered with an agency today for some upcoming work. That's not the impediment. The pay could be better, and the hours are longer than I hoped, but at least it's a) better than I used to get in my permanent* job, b) they pay time and a half for overtime, and c)it's not that far from home. D)  While technically temp, it's long term which means a minimum of 3 months with a strong chance of extension and even permanent work. In fact this is probably a candidate for the 'life is sometimes sort of okay...." thread. Or even the most positive one...

The impediment is that I was required to sign a form giving them permission to take withdraw a portion of my wages to pay for my CRB check.

I don't mind them doing the check, but if they want it, I think they should pay for it. When I didn't sign the form, the lady said that it wasn't for the company. It was for me, and I could take it elsewhere.

Well, I understand that, but in the end they required for it to be made.

I went ahead in the end, as I need the work, and I'm rather feeling the pinch even selling stuff to pay for bills and travel money. Which makes it all the more annoying.

I know this is standard practice but it really feels like they're taking the micky. I guess the amount  they're taking isn't much in the scheme of things, but it feels sizable to me right now.

But hey, it looks like I'll be working soon, and that's more than many can say.

*Which didn't turn out so permanent, but it lasted almost 5 years which is better than some.

SuperSurfer

I was shouted at by the examiner at the start of my driving test. As it seemed to be a lost cause, I thought "ok, let's get this over with" so I was relaxed for the rest of the test. And I passed. First time.

And haven't driven since. Really need to get back into it. I will need what will be my third round of refresher lessons.

Have mixed feelings about driving though as I think my fitness has benefitted by not having a car.   

Quote from: Dandontdare on 12 December, 2016, 02:52:59 PM
...we dived out and watched the car burst in to flames by the side of the Forfar road.
I once had to bail out of a car that burst into flames. Scary stuff.

Goaty

Really need some luck next few days. After 7 months out of job I maybe found a freelance job but not hear from government dept's decision on I get Access to Work fund for interpreters! If no, then no job!  :(

Dandontdare

Quote from: Goaty on 14 December, 2016, 07:51:06 PM
Really need some luck next few days. After 7 months out of job I maybe found a freelance job but not hear from government dept's decision on I get Access to Work fund for interpreters! If no, then no job!  :(

Goood luck Goaty - A friend of mine bettled for months with Access to Work. She 's a psychiatric nurse who is gradually losing her hearing (she has an experimental hearing aid which involves an implanted plate in her head and a hearing aid that sticks on it like a fridge-magnet) . She was expected to just get on with her job for over a year, taking phone calls conducting interviews etc, whilst being hardly able to hear. However, I think a lot of it was down to the health trust she worked for rather than AtoW itself.

Steve Green

staticgirl

Goaty

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 December, 2016, 09:49:36 PM
Goood luck Goaty - A friend of mine bettled for months with Access to Work. She 's a psychiatric nurse who is gradually losing her hearing (she has an experimental hearing aid which involves an implanted plate in her head and a hearing aid that sticks on it like a fridge-magnet) . She was expected to just get on with her job for over a year, taking phone calls conducting interviews etc, whilst being hardly able to hear. However, I think a lot of it was down to the health trust she worked for rather than AtoW itself.

Thanks Dare, yeah can understand with your friend and she got Cochlear implant, or CI as my wife does.

Dandontdare

It wasn't a cochlear implant or a bone-anchored hearing aid, but something new - I think she was only the 3rd person in the country to have it and she keeps getting invited to follow-ups as a guinea pig

Dandontdare

I think THIS was it - it's called a Bonebridge hearing aid (apologies linking to the Daily Fail, but it's the only mention I can find!)

Grugz

Quote from: Mardroid on 12 December, 2016, 07:51:41 PM
I registered with an agency today for some upcoming work. That's not the impediment. The pay could be better, and the hours are longer than I hoped, but at least it's a) better than I used to get in my permanent* job, b) they pay time and a half for overtime, and c)it's not that far from home. D)  While technically temp, it's long term which means a minimum of 3 months with a strong chance of extension and even permanent work. In fact this is probably a candidate for the 'life is sometimes sort of okay...." thread. Or even the most positive one...

The impediment is that I was required to sign a form giving them permission to take withdraw a portion of my wages to pay for my CRB check.

I don't mind them doing the check, but if they want it, I think they should pay for it. When I didn't sign the form, the lady said that it wasn't for the company. It was for me, and I could take it elsewhere.

I went ahead in the end, as I need the work, and I'm rather feeling the pinch even selling stuff to pay for bills and travel money. Which makes it all the more annoying.

I know this is standard practice but it really feels like they're taking the micky. I guess the amount  they're taking isn't much in the scheme of things, but it feels sizable to me right now.

*Which didn't turn out so permanent, but it lasted almost 5 years which is better than some.

you have to pay now?  as I always understood it you have to get rechecked if you start a different job, when I worked in my last job I had one and had the opportunity to do some passenger assistant work taking the little mites home which would have been handy as I didn't then have to fork out for bus fare...but they wanted me to go through all the rigramole of getting another check even though mine was only just renewed which wasn't worth it for the day or two extra work.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Something Fishy

COMMANDO FORCES

How about doing some part time work until you get a chance to go for what you actually want!

Goaty

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 15 December, 2016, 07:41:52 PM
How about doing some part time work until you get a chance to go for what you actually want!

Yeah that's what I been try last seven months!

Spikes

Quote from: Grugz on 15 December, 2016, 05:49:44 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 12 December, 2016, 07:51:41 PM

you have to pay now?  as I always understood it you have to get rechecked if you start a different job, when I worked in my last job I had one and had the opportunity to do some passenger assistant work taking the little mites home which would have been handy as I didn't then have to fork out for bus fare...but they wanted me to go through all the rigramole of getting another check even though mine was only just renewed which wasn't worth it for the day or two extra work.

Not cheap are they. And I sympathise with people who do have to pay for them.
At my place of work (Local Government Authority) I get any checks, and renewals, paid for.
Though it would seem that new agency/temp workers have to pay for their own now.

Though CRB checks now do not have an expiry date, in the real world (the council isn't the real world, believe me...) It seems that employers can state whether or not you need to get a renewal.