Main Menu

2000AD New Villian moan!

Started by Patrickwalsh, 08 November, 2005, 04:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrickwalsh

Well, what's that about? A villian to stretch Dredd to the limit eh? You call a rip-off of the aliens from Independence Day original? AND in a very obvious Cliff Robinson stylie to boot? As for Mr Tippy, that was an insult to those who took the competition brief seriously.

Dark Jimbo

Bah, it should have been me, I tells ya! One day, Mr Skitter will meet Dredd in combat, I vow it!!!
@jamesfeistdraws

James

Didn't your entry get a look in then, Patrick? Let's see it then.

Wils

Funt Solo

I sent in a much better villain than that, as well!  Mine was called Mr. Sticky!!!  He was a stick-man, and as such could get through very narrow spaces, and thus escape the law!!!

My god, but my blood boiled when I saw they'd chosen someone who could draw gorgeous alien beasties - I mean, who needs gorgeous alien beasties when there's something as original and wonderful and clever as my Mr. Sticky!

Why I oughtta...[shakes fist at sky]
An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

Carlsborg Expert

Actually you could take Mr Tippy quite seriousley.

He may have been the brains behind a schizoid behemoth killer.

Or could have been feeding subliminal messages to kids in a Pied Piper fashion.

Eerie.

Dark Jimbo

Actually I haven't even seen the winter special yet (praying I filled in the form correctly) so shouldn't really comment, I suppose.
@jamesfeistdraws

Artificial Idiot

Mr. Tippy looked awesome! I'd have liked to see a story about what he was all about. Either him or Jimmy the (jelly)fish, who seemed to be a forty foot tall master of disguise!

Not that I'm complaining about what they did pick. I thought it was a lovely, five pager.

SIP

I think it's a bit unfair to knock the winner of the over-18 category.

Whether you liked the character he created or not, the bottom line here was that it was an ART competition first and foremost.
They had to pick a winner who could actually deliver the goods when it came to producing a comic strip.

There may have been more original concepts submitted (there may not) - but did they have the artistic/storytelling skill to back it up?  They were never going to pick a more original character at the expense of a poorly drawn strip.

For that reason, if the strip had been badly drawn I think there would be a better reason for complaint here - as it stands I think the winner did a professional job.

I also entered the competition and waited eagerly to see who had won - I would have been sorely tempted to have a good moan myself if the results
weren't good - but I was pleased to see that my own efforts would have fallen woefully short of the winners.

As for the script - BAH! - I already did
'Alien-juve-on-the-rampage-in-Mega-City' years ago (See 'Sphere' in the fan input section, plug, plug, sorry about the lettering - I have fixed it
since).

It should have been me I tell you!!  It should have been me!!

Simon.
;-)

Queen Firey-Bou

yeah, without seeing all the entrys, and the practical publishable remit of the judges etc, i disaproove of dissing the winners.

ultimate foe for JD ? why that'll be me.

no not a baddie i designed. Me. a huge range of weaponary, mind of a truckulant toddler with a degree in survival & strategy, sulks & huffs & flirtations & martyrdom coupled with RAGE (tm) and the ninja abilities to hide in half pint glasses, makes me pretty damn invincible.
except at full moon.

Harmful if Swallowed

Didnt mind his art but he was damn near bold! An art droid should have a full head of hair as there are far to many droids who are thinning on top. No hair no work.

WoD

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

the3rdman

i'm in the Mr. Tippy rules camp. Lets get him a one off story. Wouldn't want that fella after you. How he get like that anyway ? Fell into a vat of radioactive something but managed to save himself with one arm ?

Roger Godpleton

"Mine was called Mr. Sticky!!!"

Thief. I once came up with a character called "Living Stick". I drew the torso of a stickman for too long, and it went to the bottom of the page. I just said he was a "stick with a head". His best friend was "Invisible Frog". There was also Living Stickina and Invisible Frogina.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!