Main Menu

Sinister Dexter - Death shall have no dumb minions

Started by DavidXBrunt, 04 December, 2005, 05:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bolt-01

I'm looking forward to seeing Simon at one of the upcoming cons next year, as the original pages for his work outshine the printed versions by a level that you cannot appreciate till you see them with your own eyes.

Truly beautiful.

Bolt-01

Dudley

Bolt - hear, hear.

Not a lot to ad to Thursday's comments, other than a reminder that there's STILL a chance to press the reset button, what with all those alternative reality types waiting in the wings.

Alternate Dex?

DavidXBrunt

Alternate Dex is a very real possibility but it wouldn't be a reset, or it shouldn't be at least. There was a time difference between the two parallel Downlodes, of maybe 15 years or so. The Ray and Finny of that world were neophite killers with their weapons still factory fresh. If our Ray is replaced by theirs then it won't be the mature co-lead but a younger, less experienced man which would be different at least.

But there is another option and one that might be interesting to explore. Ray lives. Look back at the early S/D stories and you see Dabnett regularly underlining the differences between Ray and Finny. Finny uses the Scattermatic gun and blazes away. Ray is fast and accurate. If he's seriously wounded in action but survives at some physical cost then he'll lose some of that edge and not be as quick.

That'll send the balance of skills out of whack and leave them vulnerable. They'll have the experience but need to learn a new way of doing things. And would Ray easily take to being stuck in a body he no longer has the full control over, if it doesn't respond as well?

I've really enjoyed this series over the years and maybe that's because I walked in halfway through. I've never read Eurocrash, only the earlier and later stuff. People say it was never as good after that story, maybe I've liked it because what I've read is good and don't know how much better it can be?

But this years episodes have been so good, the series has really worked. I still reckon it wouldn't work as well without all the little stories between big moments though.

Max Kon

she shot him because of what the other cops would do to him.

ukdane

I hope Dex is dead.
I hope no Alternate Dex turns up.

I hope Finny, has to try to get Kal to work with him, as he has so many faults, and is currently on the wrong side of the coin.

He'd have to train him,and mould him into a replacement for Dex, but no matter, Kal would never be able to live up to Finny's expectations.

Sinister/Cutter.
Cheers

-Daney

IndigoPrime

:: she shot him because of what the other cops
:: would do to him.

What?shoot him?

Carlsborg Expert

What the hell is gonna happen to Weld. The boys in blue obviously know shes in love with Dex. Or do they just think the jobs getting to her down. Well, saying that there is a chance of them surmising both as being the same thing!
Anyway, she must get kicked out on her arse for collaberating with a known felon. Or..Downlode Cop Establishment is full of crooks anyway, and this will be ignored. Not overlooked, at best shell be stuck with a few strings attached. At worst, she,ll not have a friend in the world and Ron can come and clean her up.I would like to see this relatioonship evolve from this incident though. It would turn very Frank Milleresque.

Oh and btw I loved the movietone,widescreen feel Davis got with the advantage of extra pages. I felt like I was a passer by with a paperbag full of groceries, that were getting wet as this scene unrolled before my gawpin eyes.

Thursday

"...there's STILL a chance to press the reset button, what with all those alternative reality types waiting in the wings."

*Twitch*

There will be no reset.  There is no button.  La la laaa, fingers in ears...

Seriously, though, I'd be very surprised to see any sort of reset come to pass, despite the fact that clones and alternate-reality versions of deceased characters are major players in the story.  The manner in which they've been treated thus far has actually left me looking forward to an appearance from alternate Sin/Dex or a cloned Demi, much to my own astonishment.  

An abundance of clones or alternates could easily be a death knell for most stories ("But... you're dead!" "Nay, 'twas but a clone!  Now taste my wrath!" etc) and would quite rightly bring accusations of naff plotting and general crapness.  But that's not how things have played out in SinDex so far, and I think there's the potential for some very interesting storylines.

Appelido may be Moses' clone, but as yet he's not been portrayed as merely Moses back from the dead as though nothing happened.  He presumably has the old Moses' memories (since we're told clones can be prosecuted for the crimes of the original, and people with an axe to grind with the old Moses have been gunning for Appelido) and his ambition, but that has to be tempered with the knowledge that the original was murdered.  He may even remember being killed; how willing is he to risk going through that again?  There's potential for a very interesting character there, and I think any further clones could - could - be just as intriguing.

The alternate Moses presents a similarly interesting prospect (though most of this is speculative, since we've not had much to go on so far).  He's perhaps closer to the original Moses than Appelido, but could still be different enough to be worthwhile: he's a decade or so younger and has been inadvertantly given a glimpse of the future by SinDex's actions.  If nothing else, he's travelled to an entirely different dimension: that's not exactly something you do on a whim or for petty revenge, and any character willing to go to those lengths has to be worth watching.

Then there's the alternate Ray and Finny.  Now, I'd say we're pretty safe from having one of these wander in and seamlessly replace their counterpart.  Most of the events that were truly important and formative for the originals - whacking Moses, Demi's death and so on - simply haven't happened for the alternate lads, so there's no way they can be exactly the same characters.  They're Ray and Finny alright, but there must be some very fundamental differences, and I think that contrast could be the basis for a damn fine story.

Of course, we don't know what state the alternate SinDex are in at the moment.  Last time we saw them they were in pretty deep trouble with the alternate Moses: have they been punished by him and are thirsting for revenge, or have they had to become absolutely loyal enforcers to avoid execution?  Do they blame the originals for their predicament?

So... yeah.  Just as Dredd hasn't suffered from the introduction of Rico, I genuinely think that the appearance of assorted clones and alternates in SinDex could lead to many cracking thrills.  Just as long as nobody touches that damn button.

Max Kon

no she say 'you're a cop killer, you know what cops do to cop killers?' i thought that implied torture.

ukdane

If he is dead, then it wasn't the hive mind that killed him off!

;-)

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=fan&page=poll&choice=1096325631" target="_blank">Remember the poll?

Cheers

-Daney

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.

DavidXBrunt

Thursday, let me say now that I really enjoyed that post and that it not only sums up a lot of way I think about the stpry but also puts some interesting spin on ideas I hadn't thought about. Nice stuff.

Tony - interesting thoughts about Weld, again an interesting angle for the story to take.

Odders - yeah, prolly.

the shutdown man

A great episode with only one real mistake; "You have the right to know that I love you Ray Dexter." What were they thinking? :)

But, this has really got me giving a shit about Sin/Dex again, like I haven't done in a long time, in fact pretty much since they finished the aftermath of the Eurocrash arc.
And while it's a damn shame about Dex, I hope they don't do what they did with Finny years ago when they killed Moses, namely Finny ends the story with a mortal wound, then in the next story Dex appears alone, everyone assumes Finny's dead and five episodes later Finny appears in bandages. Not cool.

You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

SamuelAWilkinson

All this talk of swapping in and out alternative versions of people causes me to think of Sliders...
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.