Main Menu

Prog 1468 - Tunnel Vision! Dancer's Descent into Danger

Started by The Adventurer, 05 December, 2005, 06:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

I don't have the issue yet, and probibly won't have the issue until January sometime actualy... But I found the cover image and figured since the Subs will start showing up tommorow I might as well kick off the thread.

So...is this the final issue of the year with Prog 2006 coming out next week?http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6474/14686gd.jpg">

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Max Kon

they start showing up on saturdays. Or is that just me? :D

Carlsborg Expert

In answer to the last issue. I think they go with the calender and do the 14th,21st,and 28th before the oncoming prog:2006.

That cover is very disappointing. I imagined much more colour in the creature and would rather no attempt be made to indulge us. I don't like the type of Tunnel Vision. What is the boat talking for? You can see its a misguided presumption and I think they are really sweet for doing it. At the end of the day its going to stay there and Im sure this is only my opinion. No carpetbaggers please:)

Endjinn

Nope, it's the last one before Prog 2006. Double-lengths from Sin/Dex and the Red Seas.

Sin/Dex: Sweet Jiminy Jesus!

IndigoPrime

The cover: This looks great in the flash, and it's wonderful to see Yeowell's art adorning the front of the Prog once again. The limited palette is what makes it so striking, and even the partly covered logo doesn't bother me TOO much.

Droid life: One of the best to date?highly amusing. Despite it being a piss-take on Future Shocks, the first four frames probably would have made a decent Future Shock in themselves!

Dredd: Another Rennie set-up story, which works mildly well as a standalone. However, when will Rebellion stop ruining artwork with that bloody awful cartoon comic font? It's bad enough to do SFX in "my first comic font", but the computer terminals using it just look stupid. At the very least use something "computery".

Red Seas: This is the first time I've really gotten into this strip, and it's a great ride. Also, the art is excellent, almost back to Yeowell's best back in the early days of Zenith. It's great that no-one decided to colour it, too?we'd have just had Zenith IV all over again...

Sin/Dex: Now, I don't like Sin/Dex all that much, but this arc has been engrossing, to the point that I read Dredd and then turned to this. Anyone wanting finality will be a little disappointed, but it appears that Sin/Dex may now be just, erm, Sin (unless Dex has armour and blood packs under his jacket). The only major negative was that Weld didn't really need to shoot Dex then, surely? It's not like he was trying to escape?he was justt arguing with her. I suspect the next arc will be Finny vs Moses, and then that probably will be it.

Rob Spalding

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Yeah, I didn't quite get why Weld shot Ray, unless she has some master plan that involves his escape from the ambulance/hospital.
And it looks like Billi bit the big one doesn't it?

Red Seas:  When does the next saga start then?  To me that ending will bug me if the next arc isn't in tooth within a month or so, cos it looks like they are ready to start the story now.

Dredd:  Liked the story, interested to see if the follow up can actually be worth it.  But the new villain is a good one I think.

Droid Life:  Love it.  Always have, always will.

Proudhuff

Erm Spoiler needed there IP ?

Covers okay not quite a jump in and jion us sort of thing

Driod life  nice, Spoiler? can we see Stan doing that?

Three stories and two count em two double length cliff hangers

Spoiler Dredd: High nipple count as usual for Gibson, fine set up for a future head to head, fair comment about the font, liked the teks, next prog Class of 79! is an old boarder returning?  

Red seas Fabby stuff  indeed a return to the heady days of Yeowell's Zenith work and some nice lines too.

Compo time as well!!

Simon Davis does the whiskers on kittens thing this week.

Sindex BIG SPOILER!  unless its one of Tharg's horrrid little  'with one mighty bound he was free' the title page for this will have to be redrawn!!

Prog  2006  My guinness its good!!, 100 pages of thrill power, stop whining about page count and enjoy earthlets!! at #3.95 its cheaper that a pint in a poseuurs bar

Huff Humblemass

DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

:: unless she has some master plan that involves his
:: escape from the ambulance/hospital

I thought that, but then I also thought that the first part of her master plan shouldn't have been to shoot Dex through the chest. If he isn't dead, that'll move Sin/Dex clearly into the "can't come to harm"/"total lack of realism" category, which will drop them several rungs down the rankings for me, which'd be a shame seeing as this current arc has been ace.

DavidXBrunt

Steve Yeowell is my fave artist so I'm biased towards the cover but it's let down by the limp captioning.

Droidlife made me smile. Job done.

Dredd - lovely art and a compliment to Gordon that Ian bothered to draw backgrounds in some panels.

Red Seas is the bees knees. Fun cliffhanger that promises much foodness in book 4. Come back soon boys.

Sin Dex plays out in an interesting way. Dex is injured, Sin is out of the city and Kal is exactly where I predicted it would be.

The Adventurer

Nope, it's the last one before Prog 2006. Double-lengths from Sin/Dex and the Red Seas.

I figured, the 200X progs actualy count for 3 weeks right? That's what Tharg's forward in Prog 2004 said.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Carlsborg Expert

Funt Solo

++SPOILERS++

++YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, PUNK!++

Summary:  it's a cliffhanger prog that(sort of) clears the decks (or smashes them, in the case of The Red Seas) for Prog 2006.

Judge Dredd: Global Psycho
This is great - a fantastic introduction to a great new villain - AND we got to see her boobelage!  Woof!

Lovely art from Gibson - I had no problem with the CPU text - it was inkeeping with the art style.

I've been reading a lot on the boards lately about how Rennie doesn't quite 'get' Dredd - but I'll be honest, with this story, I had no idea who'd written it (until I read this thread) - it was just coming across as great Dredd.

The Red Seas: Underworld
Quote of the week: "Bill McKenzie's no hellspawn's haddock!"

What I said last prog - lovely, treat-filled art from Master Yeowell in this epic fantasy.  Hollow Earth!  Dinosaurs with boxing gloves!

This reminds me of that Devlin Waugh epic (Reign of Frogs et al) with it's sense of scope.  A shame I have to wait a while to find out what happens next - but that's the way this cookie has crumbled (and I had to wait years for The Empire Strikes Back).  Great cliffhanger.

Sinister Dexter: ...And Death Shall Have No Dumb Minions
Holy funt!

I may have said I wanted the boys to be less bullet-proof, but ... but ... *sniff*

But if there's an alternate reality Moses, then how about the alternate reality Sin, Dex 'n' Demi?  How about "a real happy endin'"?  I can't do much with this except gnash and wail.

AMAZING art from Simon Davis.  The copters, the police lights, the bloody splash shot...tis funtin' beautiful, so it is.

Adendum
I finally did it - I finally persuaded one of my students to become a Squaxx!  Prog 1468, along with my explanation as to why it's called 2000AD (he was saying "but that's, like, 5 years ago") has inspired him to buy Prog 2006 in a week or so and to pick up his drawing implements again for the first time in yonks.

All I had to do to persuade him was show him that full-page shot of Tracy and Dexter, the dinosaur with boxing gloves and Gibson's nipples (so to speak).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

ukdane

What a funting good Prog.

Sin/Dex lived up to all expectations- One can only hope and pray that Dabnett doesn't screw this up....

... although Prog 2006's story seems to have a seasonal title- which seems dramatically wrong.

The other 3 stories were great too, but Sin/Dex gets 9?/10 from me (it loses ? a point because I'm worried that Dex ain't dead!)
Cheers

-Daney

DavidXBrunt

Worried that Dex aint dead? He isn't dead. We last see him with an Ambulance in the background and paramedics all lined up with a gurney to cart him off. Now that could be to cart him off to the morgue but chances are he's alive and if not well then about to get major surgery to get him well. The D.C.P.D. have been after Gunsharks in general and Sin/Dex in particular so they'll spare no expense keeping him alive for the info they could get or just the prestige of catching an urban legend.

Weld wouldn't have killed him, she took him down in a spectacular bloody way to prevent the hail of bullets that was heading his way.

And besides it's, you know, Sinister Dexter. I think this a revival for the strip not a finale and am really pleased. Apart from anything else if it were this so close to the end they'd surely wrap the strip up this year in it's 10th anniversary.

I'm not too worried about the seasonal title. A one off Christmas tale between longer strips has happened before, between The Off-lode experience in space there was a Christmas tale followed by the transdimensional jaunt that was the sharks return journey. But there's nothing to say it won't tell part of the tale 'Festive Spirits' could in some way refer to the haunted house/zombie story that revealed that Moses and Croak were on their way here.

Or it could be a story showing the no doubt gloomy Christmas that the cast are going to have, showing Dex in hospital or jail, Finny on the run or mourning for Billy, Kal finding his feet in a strange situation, Appelido plotting, Weld going over what happened and Rocky regretting his parting words.

Slippery PD

Droid Life
Funny and insightful as usual

Dredd
Nice little intro from Rennie who is quickly establishing his own Gallery of Rogues.  Is this the correct term?

Red Seas
We had slow slow slow build up and then Bang two episodes of action.  Brilliant and it should be a regular strip.  

Sinister Dexter
And here comes the story Ive been waiting for since, well Download tales.  Its a pity Id given up really isnt it!  Such a shame.

Slips