Main Menu

S/D- B&W or not?

Started by Dog Deever, 26 June, 2007, 02:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Deever

Seeing the advert for the next Strontium Dog story in last weeks 2k, I got to remembering 'Roadhouse'. I wasn't online when this was on the go and got to wondering about what others thought of Carlos' (or someone else's) decision to go B/W on it.
I thought it was great- almost like a blast from the past, but somehow shiny and updated (except for the big, coloured sound effects, which looked a bit daft). I'd like to see more S/D done in black and white line art- what does anyone else reckon?
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Buddy

Don't mind B&W art at all.

But those colour sound effects are REALLY distracting.

Stop it.

The Adventurer

I personally think Carlos looks best in Black and White, so I'd be for it. I've not seeing the advert for the upcoming story, so I can't comment on colored sound effects.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Ignatzmonster

THink Ezquerra is a god in B/W. This is the first I've heard of this and I am F**KING ecstatic. The only way I'd be any happier is if we saw an increase in stories at the frequency of Dante or SinDex.

Matter of fact I was making a stink about how much stronger I thought Carlos' art was in B/W on this board a few months back. Even if it's just a coincidence it's nice to get your wish.

Jim_Campbell

"I wasn't online when this was on the go and got to wondering about what others thought of Carlos' (or someone else's) decision to go B/W on it. "

If memory serves (which -- as ever -- is a somewhat questionable qualifier) didn't Andy Diggle offer Carlos his full colour page rate for doing b/w on Roadhouse?

Sadly, I think Andy got screwed on that particular deal ...

However, you're totally right about the sound effects and, when I'm Supreme Emperor of the Cosmos, there will be a reckoning on this subject.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Adrian Bamforth

"Sadly, I think Andy got screwed on that particular deal ... "

It was a good idea and makes sense since there was a lot of detail and texture in Carlos' B&W stuff that he doesn't put into his coloured because he uses colour and brush effects instead, and I prefer his work B&W with the extra work put in...though Roadhouse didn't quite match up to his earlier detailed work. Carlos' work rarely looks rushed since his style is nice and lively anyway though it looked slightly compromised by comparison.

I wouldn't complain about artists' pay though,  he's more than an artist, he's part of the identity of the comic and deserves whatever he gets for his loyalty.

Steve Green

I'm surprised he hasn't tried out something between the two like a desaturated, almost monochromatic wash.

A bit like the b/w pages of his Starlord stront, but subdued colour. It seems that would suit the western feel of SD.

- Steve

thinky

If memory serves (which -- as ever -- is a somewhat questionable qualifier) didn't Andy Diggle offer Carlos his full colour page rate for doing b/w on Roadhouse?

Jim, my memory may be failing me also, but i'm sure that deal was for Carlos' ABC Warriors which, imho, did look very poor and rushed.

thinky
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Leigh S

I thnk Jim is right - it was Roadhouse that was the B & W for colour - possibly inspired by the ABC run?  not sure which came first.  

Anyway, Stront should be in colour - its it's destiny, only hampered by horrible management decisions from its inception.

That said, black and white stront is jsut as good, so if it meant more stront, I'd be inclined to go B&W.  since the delay is more at Wagners end (that is, he's only writing Stront when he's inspired to), then keep it in colour

paulvonscott

Personally I really like the colou stuff, and I think it helps set these stories apart and give them a freshness that may not be the case with the B/W stuff.

Especially as I hope there will be collections of the new Johnny Alpha stuff one day.

Jim_Campbell

"Anyway, Stront should be in colour - its it's destiny, only hampered by horrible management decisions from its inception."

You are, of course, entirely correct ...! Apologies for the lack of a cite, but didn't Carlos have some really ground-breaking stuff planned for the art on the original Starlord run?

I'm sure I remember reading that he had all kinds of ambitious ideas for combining painted artwork and photography that got scuppered when Da Management scaled back the budget for paper quality and repro ...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

VampiraJen

But those colour sound effects are REALLY distracting.

personally, i find all sound effects distracting.  i dont need to see BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! to know that a gun is being fired

IndigoPrime

I always keep hoping that Matt/Tharg will finally see the light and stop slapping those bloody awful SFX over the otherwise wonderful artwork in 2000 AD. With rare exceptions (when the artists add SFX directly to the art), I'm almost always disappointed. It's like someone adding those crappy swirling effects from the '60s Batman TV show to the likes of Batman Begins - ugh.

JOE SOAP

Sound FX just look awful and insult our intelligence.

TordelBack

I'd rephrase that a bit:  "COMPUTERISED sound FX just look awful and insult our intelligence."

Well-designed Sound FX incorporated into the art can be great, particularly if integrated into the page/panel composition.  Lumps of 'funky' text deposited on top of the artwork end up looking like beached haddock.  Nothing wrong with a half-page VADDOOOM!, everything wrong with a yellow-tinted "SPLAT!" dropped randomly onto some B&W art...