Main Menu

Aiiiee! Darkie!

Started by paulvonscott, 12 January, 2003, 12:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

Hmm. I suspect that these people talking about the supposedly "right wing" or "left wing" nature of film/novels ect. are talking a right load of cock and none of these mediums have an intrinsic political leaning.

Marbles

I know when Alan Barnes was initially thinking of running the strip he said in a mail to me that (in discussion with John Wagner) he was thinking of not running some of the middle 'filler' issues. In the end he obviously  went with runnning the whole lot, a decision I personally applaud.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Generally Contrary

Sorry - I obviously forgot to add that caveat.

Devons Daddy

finally over.

what a superb series. even now so many years later. it held its own.
(plenty of places you could see Kanos roots a plus for me which only added to my enjoyment).  what a brillantly written and superbly illustrated piece of comic history.

to all involved. this was an inspired decsion to run it in the meg.
outstanding.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Tiplodocus

Enjoyed Darkie very much - I think having so many very similar episodes crammed together in the middle did it some harm though. Skip reading caused me to gloss over one of the episodes I remembered from being a kid.  

The only thing that still gets to me is the casual attitude to slaughtering the "bungling" Japanese.  

I know it should all be read in the context of the times but you can show WWII Jungle fighting without resorting to such stereotype, I'm sure.  

I always fall back on the example of ZULU.  Forty years old now but it was "war is (boys own) hell", written with a respect for the warriors on both sides. In fact the British troops show more of a rape threat to the lone female in the cast.
Nobody treated shabbilly as charicature bad guys (and it had the easiest of target in Welshmen!).

Compare and contrast with the "loose remake" that was BLACKHAWK DOWN.  I shudder...

Still, overall a thumbs up to Darkie.

Also, would anybody that read Dudley's rather amusing Reaganite justification of all of the stories in this month's Meg, be willing to try and interpret them in a left wing fashion?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mikey

Tiplo-

All the stories in this months Meg are communist.

There.

BTW loved the "talking a load of cock"argument from,GW?Laughed me own,ahem,cock off to that one.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Queen Firey-Bou

wow i just finished it. amazing ending. never mind the random massacring of the 'enemy' its all context & time & archetypes. what about the fact that darkie himself turned out to be, well such an anti hero. i was expecting the olde, 'good guy but went over the edge when his wife & baby was murdered' cliche, but here we have a self serving , selfish, heartless, unfeeling, user right from the start. okay so he wanted vengance on his parents death, but it seemed more vengance on the bullying he recieved, he didnt seem to give much of a monkeys for his parents. pretty mad & surprisingly amoral stuff... like when you think of the times it was written n that. hmmmm

Trout

I liked the ending, which, like Bad Company's, I didn't see coming.

Would like to see Charlie's War, Major Easy or Johnny Red now.

- Trout

Quirkafleeg

hey, i managed to half-guess (well quarter-guess) the ending...

yeah, overall it rocked even if it did get a bit repetative in the middle

Dudley

Found the article I meant - and it's something said by Jean-Paul Satre, so I guess it was, indeed, talking a lot of cock.

Link: http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Critic_Review/Observer_Film_of_the_week/0,4267,353616,00.html" target="_blank">Guardian review

paulvonscott

Interesting read, sounds a wholly reprehensible film.

Can't wait to read the end of Darkies Mob - cracking story.

Dounreay

Can anybody explain the disembodied head syndrome in Darkies Mob. A disconcerting but effective artistic ploy that seemed to appear in every episode, having a detached head floating over a scene like a runaway moon.

Never seen this in 2000. Was it unique to DM. Or the artist in question Was it a late seventies comic  thing in general. Should we see it make a comeback?

The Monarch

Spoiler alert by the by although i am guessing everyone has read it by now.

Heh kano is part krool and darkie or should that be daakie is part japanese...what are the odds of that...i must say reading this has been the highlight of my year so far roll on charleys war!!