Main Menu

Everything Starts with 2000AD

Started by bluemeanie, 20 September, 2013, 01:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluemeanie

We've done a new podcast. Aim is to work through the progs from the beginning. Will see how far we get. Could be fun though especially if the plan to rope in a few droids along the way pans out

If you dont like the other podcasts you won't like this one. If you do, you probably will. Me and Whittle had fun doing the first one anyway

http://2000ad.wordpress.com/2013/09/20/everything-starts-with-2000ad/

Dandontdare

Cool. I enjoyed those early prog reviews you did waaaaay back at the beginning, and The Whittle is always good value! just listened to the megacast one last night, hilarious, especially with all the digressions about Superman.

W. R. Logan

I'll give this one a go and hopefully I won't feel like throwing my iPhone at a wall :-)

Frank

I thought the head-on collision between your childhood memories and The Whittle's fresh first impressions was hilarious. Even with a changing roster of contributors, reviewing the starting line-up might get a little repetitive - maybe reviewing key issues or landmark progs would provide more variety. I'd sacrifice body parts to hear Pat Mills sit in on any discussion of the notorious prog 500.

The reason Mills gets a writing credit on all the strips in prog 1 is because, according to his own account(s), his method of editing the first 7 or 8 issues was to completely rewrite whatever his writers submitted, in order to achieve the consistency of attitude and aesthetic he envisaged for the comic. He had Doug Church perform the same task with the variable art that was coming in from his legion of latin Lautrecs.

bluemeanie

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 20 September, 2013, 06:30:49 PM
I'll give this one a go and hopefully I won't feel like throwing my iPhone at a wall :-)

But you're the Waldorf and Stadler to our Fozzie Bear, it'd feel wrong!  ;)

We still dont take it too seriously tho it's probably a little smoother than our earlier ones. Not much tho.

As for the key issues thing, yeah.... maybe. I dunno. It's Whittle's call so see how she feels after 5 or so. Could be an idea to maybe jump forward in tens or something. Hoping the changing lineup keeps it interesting and like we said, gonna try get droids in which'll put a cool take on it.
Already got Ben Willsher lined up

Proteus4

I really enjoyed it.  Your comment about the diversion being the opposite of a diversion (in Invasion/Savage) made me spurt tea out my nose.  thanks

I do worry a little that there are potentially about 1600 podcasts ahead of you if you do one at a time! Maybe combing them into groups of ten or sumfink would help it gallop along a bit, but who the f**k am I.

Hope you get some of the droids on.
Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

bluemeanie

Just posted up the 2nd one, Whittle and Flint.
Been told the third has been recorded. 99% sure that's with Ben Willsher. Know Leigh Gallagher is lined up to do one as well

blackmocco

Very entertaining. Yeah, the contrast between the newcomer and seasoned fan is a great dynamic. My only concern is the same as already voiced here - how much mileage can you guys get from doing a podcast per prog...? I'd suggest maybe taking five, maybe even ten progs and dedicating one podcast to them, discussing everything that gets covered in them. It'll keep it clipping along. Flint, seeing as you and Pat Mills are buddies now, imagine the coup that'd be getting him to cover a number of early progs.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

stacey

Cheers for all the nice words and constructive criticism - I really appreciate it very much! At the moment I am enjoying reading the early progs SOO much that I'm not in a mad rush to skip ahead yet. I am absolutely sure that time will come but these early progs are developing so much world and character building, I think they kind of deserve a little time devoted to each one. 

Also I'm so in love with Jesus Blasco and Berlardinelli - dudes why didn't youse ever TELL me?! :-D

Also Rich is right, I recorded the Prog 3 episode last night with Ben Willsher and a few other lovely art droids lined up to do some more. It should be fun!

bluemeanie

Also doing a podcast covering 10 progs needs you to read them, make notes on each, work out a summary then do a recording that does them justice without it being 6 hrs long. Skimming them could make it more clinical than the page by page thing too, might as well just read out online synopsis

So looooooaaaaads of work and we're all very lazy people. Well apart from doing the podcasts and the website updates and stuff. Also if we do get droids on it's a big ask for them to put that much prep in as opposed to "Read one issue and give us an hour of your time to talk about it"

One way might be to do the first ten, as I think they warrant it, then maybe picking an issue from 10-20 for the next then one from 20-30 for the one after that.

Dunno tho, it's Whittle's free podcast cake, up to her how she slices it
Thats an analogy. I should be a writer.

Or maybe I just want cake.
I'll fuck off now.

blackmocco

Quote from: bluemeanie on 02 October, 2013, 01:23:17 PM
Also doing a podcast covering 10 progs needs you to read them, make notes on each, work out a summary then do a recording that does them justice without it being 6 hrs long. Skimming them could make it more clinical than the page by page thing too, might as well just read out online synopsis

So looooooaaaaads of work and we're all very lazy people. Well apart from doing the podcasts and the website updates and stuff. Also if we do get droids on it's a big ask for them to put that much prep in as opposed to "Read one issue and give us an hour of your time to talk about it"

One way might be to do the first ten, as I think they warrant it, then maybe picking an issue from 10-20 for the next then one from 20-30 for the one after that.

Dunno tho, it's Whittle's free podcast cake, up to her how she slices it
Thats an analogy. I should be a writer.

Or maybe I just want cake.
I'll fuck off now.

Nope, that's a very valid point. I shall also fuck off now.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

COMMANDO FORCES

The Legendary Shark

I've only listened to the first one so far - loved it and looking forward to the rest.

How to make it better? No idea.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

bluemeanie

Just posted up the third one :

"The Whittle is joined by Dredd and Lenny Zero artist and big auld Britney Spears fan Ben Willsher as they risk severe Thrill Power Overload whilst chatting about the fabulousity that is 2000AD Programme 3!"

http://2000ad.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/everything-starts-with-2000ad-03/

blackmocco

www.BLACKMOCCO.com