Main Menu

Brass Sun in The Guardian.

Started by Timothy, 07 July, 2014, 08:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2014/jul/05/skye-sherwins-a-good-look

Hot on the heels of the Spectator piece we now have Brass Sun being praised in the Guardian.

judgerufian

Not much of a review though is it? More like a 'I reckon this stuff is cool' list. Journalism at its best....

Anyway good for Brass Sun to get a mention, even though its ironic that its only noticed by a British newspaper when released for the American market.

Colin YNWA

Cool and FBP gets a mention too. Loving that book and the fact that there's a telly show around the corner (apparently) means that its low numbers at present mean Vertigo are unlikely to cancel it.

Now if only someone would take such interest in Ian Edgington's Hinterkind...

Trout

Quote from: judgerufian on 07 July, 2014, 10:54:16 AM
Not much of a review though is it? More like a 'I reckon this stuff is cool' list. Journalism at its best....

Anyway good for Brass Sun to get a mention, even though its ironic that its only noticed by a British newspaper when released for the American market.

Wow. So many sneers in one post. I used to stand up for fandom online, saying comics fans aren't as bad as some might suggest, but maybe I should stop.

How about you email the Guardian with your own, detailed rules for any future mention of comics? I'm sure they will immediately add them to their editorial standards.

Professor Bear

I thought the comment about only noticing standout 2000ad strips when Americans deign to reprint them was quite funny, though I do hope it doesn't make Molcher cry.

ZenArcade

Fair point Trout. Maybe we should E-Mail or comment in the Guardian extolling Brass Sun and the prog in general. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

judgerufian

Quote from: Trout on 07 July, 2014, 03:22:39 PM
Quote from: judgerufian on 07 July, 2014, 10:54:16 AM

Wow. So many sneers in one post. I used to stand up for fandom online, saying comics fans aren't as bad as some might suggest, but maybe I should stop.

How about you email the Guardian with your own, detailed rules for any future mention of comics? I'm sure they will immediately add them to their editorial standards.

Can you agree that it isnt exactly a review though? I did say it was good that Brass Sun got a mention so didnt think it was too sneery.

Frank

Too late, buddy. You're down as a sneerer - the worst of all possible crimes.

I, Cosh

Quote from: judgerufian on 07 July, 2014, 05:14:31 PM
Can you agree that it isnt exactly a review though? I did say it was good that Brass Sun got a mention so didnt think it was too sneery. 
Can't see anything on the page which claims it's a review. Seems more like a little "some interesting things I have seen this month" sidebar.
We never really die.

Link Prime

Judgerufian; The Council of Five have decreed you update your avatar.  ;)

Andrew_J

I wouldn't deride a mention in a Guardian "what's hot" list as a way of picking up new readers. Most of my music/podcasts/books come from these sort of list because I, like most of the general public, am a lazy fecker who wants his culture handed to him on a plate.

judgerufian

Quote from: Link Prime on 07 July, 2014, 05:31:43 PM
Judgerufian; The Council of Five have decreed you update your avatar.  ;)

I'll take the Long Walk to uphold my opinion to the lawless...until death ;)

Link Prime

I find the use of that 'Wink' emoticon slightly sneery.

Frank

Link Prime