Main Menu

Prog 1892 : BLOCK PARTY!

Started by Darren Stephens, 26 July, 2014, 01:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

At last! I've been wondering what happened to Mrs. Gunderson and Walter during DOC! Now all we need to hear is how old Mean did....

Spikes

Alien Goodness

I've always loved the original JD logo and the side-on face profile on the 'J'. Would love to see it kept in some way in 2000AD or Megazine

SmallBlueThing

That's nice to see, though I'm disappointed it doesn't have the highlighted visor, as per the original. I see no reason why this isn't still the Dredd logo, to be honest. All the others pale next to it.

SBT

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 26 July, 2014, 09:21:41 PM
Mark Twain and Kurt Vonnegut in Brass Sun. Who is the other guy?

Freeman Dyson, I think...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

ZenArcade

Freeman Dyson (artificial mega-structures) I simply cannot wait until tomorrow. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 29 July, 2014, 11:39:17 AM
That's nice to see, though I'm disappointed it doesn't have the highlighted visor, as per the original. I see no reason why this isn't still the Dredd logo, to be honest. All the others pale next to it

I think it's just a formatting thing. Stories are conceived with an eye on how they'll read in trade paperback collections, so no longer start with the kind of full page or double page splash (either recapping last week's finale or flashing forward to the showpiece of that week's episode) which accommodates that logo at full size. If you look at the early nineties stories where Jan Shepherd's fantastic Dredd logo was shrunk to fit into a regular panel, it loses everything which makes it distinctive, including the face in the J.

Look at the way Jan Shepherd's equally quirky and original Strontium Dog logo suffers when reduced in size to be used in a similar way on the most recent stories. I'm not a Luddite, but the smaller, A4 sized pages of the modern comic just don't seem to allow the art room to breathe or the story to flow in the same way as those old square format bogpaper progs did. Strip furniture such as story recaps and logos used as integral parts of the strip are just another facet of the previous era that don't seem to fit in the present day prog.

SmallBlueThing

Trout

Well done to those who arranged such a nice tribute to Jan Shepheard. It's touching.

As for the prog, it all worked for me. Dredd was a huuuuuge highlight. I love Wagner's comedy stories, and MacNeil can do no wrong.

Splendid!

Timothy

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 26 July, 2014, 09:21:41 PM
Mark Twain and Kurt Vonnegut in Brass Sun. Who is the other guy?

Kurt Vonnegut? Robert Winston, surely.  ;)

JamesC

Cover: Pretty good if a bit retro looking. It reminds me of a T-shirt design.

Dredd: I liked the story and art and it was nice to see Walter again but I'm no fan of Mrs Gunderson. I never like hard-of-hearing comedy old people in stories - they're nearly as bad as posh old men that call everyone 'Dear Boy'.

Sin/Dex: This was good and a reminder that the main characters are actually very dangerous people to know. I think the art is getting better by the week.

Aquila: Another great episode. I was a bit confused by what had happened to John at first but then I realised that Aquila had just left him while he ran off to fight the big stone bloke. There's quite a bit of exposition in each episode but they always manage to fit in plenty of action to go with it.

Brass Sun: While I enjoyed this episode I still think it's moving a bit slow. The tie to our own reality will either be the best or worst thing to happen to this story but I'm not sure which yet. I had no idea who the three blokes were supposed to be. I thought the first one was Albert Einstein and the last one looked like Robert Winston to me. The first person that popped into my head when I saw the second guy was David Copperfield! (he doesn't really look much like him though).

Black Shuck: I enjoyed this again. I love the mood of it and the artwork is ace (I really think Yeowell benefits from colour). I was a bit confused by the flash back at first but I soon worked it out. I know captions and thought balloons are out of fashion in comics at the moment but sometimes they do make things a bit easier for the reader!

Good prog overall but not a classic.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Trout on 30 July, 2014, 03:29:37 AM
Well done to those who arranged such a nice tribute to Jan Shepheard. It's touching.

As for the prog, it all worked for me. Dredd was a huuuuuge highlight. I love Wagner's comedy stories, and MacNeil can do no wrong.

Splendid!

What the trout said, with the added comment that The lebowski refs are wonderful...
DDT did a job on me

JamesC

Oh yeah, and another vote for keeping the old logo!

Molch-R

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 29 July, 2014, 11:39:17 AM
I'm disappointed it doesn't have the highlighted visor, as per the original. I see no reason why this isn't still the Dredd logo, to be honest. All the others pale next to it.

The only decent version in the archive meant that at that size we used it you wouldn't be able to see it anyway. Also, while it was great to include it this time for Jan, the trouble we had making it work on the page means this is just a one-off.

James Stacey

Well worth the effort though.