Main Menu

Is Johnny Alpha dead now?

Started by Zenith 666, 01 August, 2014, 12:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenith 666

Just wondering because of the end of life and death will we ever see alpha again.it felt rushed and did a wonderful character no justice.sorry if this topic has been covered elsewhere.

BPP

Nah.

I really liked the Return of 'non-flashback' Alpha but the IKON seemed to suddenly create an insurmountable problem that only a short-circuit could resolve. The fact it ended more a cliff-hanger than an epilogue makes me think he'll be back.

No firm basis for saying that tho.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Frank

Alpha was the character who demonstrated that Mean Angel's violation of Wagner and Grant's self imposed dead means dead rule wasn't the one-off they always presented it as. If Wagner and Ezquerra want to do more Strontium Dog, poor Johnny will be witch doctored, alternative dimensioned, and false cliffhangered to death (except not really dead).

Dark Jimbo

Loads of interesting discussion about the way ...Life and Death ended on the thread for the final episodes prog - https://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?action=post;quote=812957;topic=40121.15;last_msg=815278

I'll expand on what I said there at the time -

I think it's pretty clear there's more to come from Stront. There were loads of loose ends left in the final episode, even apart from the 'watch this space' from the newsreader at the end - Middenface suddenly dropped out of the narrative without explanation in the penultimate episode, we never found out what happened to the surviving stronts (or indeed how things play out at the Doghouse with two thirds of the dogs now dead) and Johnny fairly obviously used a time bomb to escape the blast (plenty of weighted dialogue to suggest as much, not to mention the lack of a body.)

Alpha's not really had time to catch his breath since the Stone Wizards zapped him back to life - the Ikans attacked almost straight away and pulled him into the Project buisness. I'd love to see some stories where he tries to sort his head out and find a place in the Universe for himself. It seems fairly clear he's outgrown the agency - which may no longer even exist after the events of ..Life and Death - and the Universe is more than big and magical enough to support non-SD stories. L&D read to me at times not so much as an end to the strip but a last hurrah in terms of Alpha's involvement in the norm/mutant war on Earth.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Well, if it resulted in more strips along the lines of The Incident on Mayger Minor, I wouldn't complain.

JamesC

Johnny Alpha was blasted through time at the end of the last story and the next installment will be a sequel to Meltdown Man.

Zenith 666

Can we not have him team up with the gronk and kill the lyrians again.

Timothy

Characters are always resurrectable in comics.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 01 August, 2014, 12:57:21 PM
Can we not have him team up with the gronk and kill the lyrians again.

No, no, no, no, no.  It was very bad indeed of Garth Ennis to demystify the Lyrans.  (And let's not forget [spoiler]Johnny was resurrected[/spoiler] in that particular story, too.)

Johnny's not dead, but personally I wish he was - nothing against him, but I thought his Messianic death scene 20-odd years ago was incredible and a very brave move on Tharg's part.  Now Simon Pegg's tears have been in vain.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Zenith 666

Peggs a millionaire now but I'm not what about my tears  :'(

The Enigmatic Dr X

So, I was flipping through The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha: Dogs of War

("How can you have that when it's not out 'til January?", you may ask. "Skillz", I may say.).

Is he dead or not? The ambiguity is, frankly, odd.
Lock up your spoons!

Timothy

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 13 November, 2014, 08:46:19 AM
So, I was flipping through The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha: Dogs of War

("How can you have that when it's not out 'til January?", you may ask. "Skillz", I may say.).

Is he dead or not? The ambiguity is, frankly, odd.

I got the same skillz in the post yesterday.

The Adventurer

How is the ambiguity odd? Its a snecking cliffhanger!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

judgerufian

But then again as hes been dead before, he can always come back hence removing some of the suspense from the story. As interesting as its been seeing the second Mutant war and the situations that sparked it off, the story has been lacking a 'soul' for some time now. No fault of the writers or artists just wishing they had not done a Marvel/DC and let sleeping dogs lie (see what I did there :D).

The Adventurer

He 'died' at a major turning point, right in the middle of a major story arc. The very notion that anyone would believe that he is actually dead again, four arcs after his big todo resurrection is alien to me.

I've actually been enjoying Life and Death, a lot more then I expected actually. Though I actually do wish Johnny was actually dead and the series was about Middenface and Precious rick rollicking across the universe.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK