Main Menu

Remembering my fav's !

Started by Dregsey, 13 October, 2014, 08:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dregsey

My son came home today with a copy of 2000ad, reminded me of when I was young and got it every week ! Remembered all my fav's - Judge Dredd of course, and some of the best stories, Judge Cal ( made a crocodile a judge ? And had one judge just wear boxer shorts and another a dress ??, Block war ( something put into the water supply ?? )that led to the Sov war, the Dark Judges, the Angel Gang, Chopper, I remember something about an ugly drink, or injection that turned you ugly ! And the fattie craze !
Cam Kennedy was my favourite artist ( is he still drawing ?? )
Also remember other stories that I enjoyed - the Mekon, Rogue Trooper ( didn't he have his dead buddies on computer chips in his helmet ? -  Flesh, the VC's ( think one was called Joop ? ) Strontium Dog, also remember some sort of story about a robot that shouted "krado ??"
All great memories about reading the Magazine

johnnystress

Nice to hear it's not just men in their 30s and 40s that are buying the comic :)

TordelBack

Welcome, Dregsey.  That's a pretty convincing suite of memories there!  I'm guessing you stopped reading somewhere in the very late 200's - only 1600+ progs to get yourself caught up so that you can dazzle your son with fatherly omniscience: get to it Daddio!

moldovangerbil

Quote from: Dregsey on 13 October, 2014, 08:28:19 PM
also remember some sort of story about a robot that shouted "krado ??"

I guess this is probably Nemesis the Warlock.  I seem to remember that in the first strip all you saw was the Blitzspear, which actually turned out to be a living creature.  And Nemesis seemed to spend a fair bit of time saying 'Credo'.

Timothy

Quote from: johnnystress on 14 October, 2014, 11:51:23 AM
Nice to hear it's not just men in their 30s and 40s that are buying the comic :)
I gave my son a copy of the first Rogue Trooper story to look at over the weekend as I thought it would appeal to him. His response - "it's about the future and war which is good, but it's in black and white".
He's 9. Kids, eh.

SmallBlueThing

Nice to meetcha Dregsey,  and good on your son for finding thrillpower. Both my boys (9 and 11) devour the reprint collections,  and the eleven year old gets a copy of the prog every week,  along with his Beano,  Deadpool and video games mag. 
It's probably worth you tracking down the trade collections of the strips you remember- amazon sellers could be a route to take,  as they tend to be cheaper,  and if money is an issue then most libraries in my experience have a stock of 2000ad trades to borrow for nothing. 
Anyway- enjoy! 

SBT

Dandontdare

Welcome aboard, that's pretty good recollection after 30+ years!

Glad your son is getting into 2000ad, you should read his progs if he gets it regularly, the current crop of stories is as good as the "Golden Age"

Cam Kennedy is sadly no longer drawing due to failing eyesight, but he still turns up to the occasional convention to meet fans and sign stuff - lovely chap.

JayzusB.Christ

I forgot that about Cam Kennedy. Same thing happened to Ron Smith. Ian Gibson left for different reasons, which I forget now. Stay healthy, Carlos!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ZenArcade

Welcome here dregsey, what a delight it must have been seeing the wee lad dandering in prog in hand. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dregsey

Thanks for the welcome ! My son was amazed when I said I used to read it aswell, and I told him about all the old stories that I could recall. Thinking back they were great memories and I looked forward to each new week - just wish I had kept all the issues, must be worth a fortune now ! Lol.
I shall have to a have a sneak peek at his issue, when he next goes on his xbox !
And may have to buy some of the collections.....just for the memories of course

Zenith 666

Time to make some new memories.Dredd tradebacks origin,tour of duty and the Day of chaos should have you subscribing in no time.2000AD has moved on hopefully this is your welcome home.

Frank

Quote from: Dregsey on 15 October, 2014, 01:00:43 AM
My son was amazed when I said I used to read it aswell, and I told him about all the old stories that I could recall

I remember having my mind blown when my dad told me that Wilson: The Man In Black, the latest strip in a brand new comic I was reading, was something he'd read in The Hornet as a kid. That actually worked really well with the gradual revelation that the character was much older even than that.

The idea that I shared the character with the kid version of my own dad made it something really special, but I was bummed that the strip had decades of history I would never be able to read about. This guy's scanned a bunch of those older strips (helpfully warning that some of the reprints of stories, where Wilson competes against Zulus, have been altered "to appease the liberals"). Your wee boy's very lucky he can expect to find a copy of the Mek Files under the Christmas tree.

Dregsey

The Cam Kennedy drawn story of the Judge Dredd episode " The Seven Samurai " just looked at some artwork from that and brought back memories, also loved Chopper and his surf board. Amazing that a random occurrence of my son bringing a comic home has brought back so many childhood memories all around the 2000AD universe, and had such an impact...