Main Menu

Brendan McCarthy or Massimo Belardinelli - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 May, 2021, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

BPP

Abstaining, honestly can't split these two. One a master of B&W weirdness the other... a master of psychedelic weirdness.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

sheridan

Quote from: BPP on 12 May, 2021, 06:55:19 AM
Abstaining, honestly can't split these two. One a master of B&W weirdness the other... a master of psychedelic weirdness.

Massimo was pretty nifty with the colour paintbox too - it's a tragedy that editorial/management didn't throw him more work (other than Moonrunners) when 2000AD got in to full colour.  Just take a look at the painted Sláine and Ace Trucking Co stories that opened three annuals in the 1980s.

sintec

DrJomster

Brendan McCarthy 2  Massimo Belardinelli 3

But really it's 1.5:3.5 but I'm not allowed that! :)
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

I, Cosh

Real tough ones now. Two of my favourites here. Classic McCarthy vs Classic Belardinelli would be impossible to call so I'm treating it as Current McCarthy vs Classic Belardinelli to make things easier.

McCarthy 2 - 3 Belardinelli
We never really die.

TordelBack

Massimo 4 : 1 Brendan 1

Which reflects only the scale of my boundless love for Bellardinelli, rather than any shortage of affection for the incredible McCarthy.

Dog Deever

Aw shit- ye can't take anything away from Brendan, but hell, Massimo was one of the guys who's art that drew me to 2K in the first place.
There's always going to be unassailable sacred cows so I'm sorry for any that get drawn against Ezquerra, Redondo or Belardinelli- you're fucked and that's that. Doesn't mean I dislike you or your art, it's just how it is.

Celta McCarthy 1 Internazionale Belardinelli 4
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Professor Bear

Probably helps that I'm reading Belardinelli's Rat Pack offerings RN.
Massimo 5 : Brendan 0

Colin YNWA

Last day for this vote. This is very possibly the type of tie that Current Team need to grab if it was to make any impression on this tournament - but the honest truth is after a tight start it looks like this will be another comfortable win for the classics.

Time then for me to throw my oar in. I've long said I've struggled with elements of Massimo's art. His raw creativity and imagination is quite a thing to behold. That said so is Brendan McCarthy, and it more than matches Massimo on that score. He masters other elements as well though. His Dredd is musclar, strong and full of motion. He can draw Zaucer (and Swiftie's) drab and urban home world as well as the fantasy lands they travel to. He does it all with such wonder and so for me that ability to do everything and anything makes this one easy for me.

Brendan McCarthy 5 : Massimo Belardinelli 0

Now get your votes in now!

TordelBack

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 May, 2021, 07:43:55 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 May, 2021, 06:43:04 AM
Massimo Belardinelli 0

Colin is cancelled.

My views of Massimo are well rehearsed.

There are bits of his work I adore. Those early Dan Dares, ACE Trucking, Blackhawk black hole madness, most of Meltdown Man ... and in Meltdown Man we see the problems exposed fully. Glorious landscapes, the Yujees are majestic, but the minute Nick Stone turns up its so awkward and stiff. The main bloody character. Don't starte me in his Slaine!

He is the very definition of needing a strip to suit his style and abilities. Brendan McCarthy does things as wonderful as early Dan Dare, Blackhawk Black hole madness BUT he does everything else as well and so on that basis I had to give him the clean sweep as there's not a strip done by Massimo that I don't think would be elevated if it was done by Brendan M...

... there I've said it again and I take all slings and arrows coming my way!

Oh and I don't think it will make a jot of difference to how Massimo sweeps this one!

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 May, 2021, 09:30:42 AM
...there's not a strip done by Massimo that I don't think would be elevated if it was done by Brendan M...

For the love of Grud, stop this madness! 

See this allegorical work below?   The stag represents good taste, and the Mata, that's you that is.

Colin YNWA

You are right, I am a magnificent predator at the top of the food chain. Feeding on the flesh of other lesser creatures and they may have taste but that just makes them yummy for the eatin'.