Main Menu

Steve Yeowell or Fraser Irving - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 11

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 May, 2021, 06:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Rogue Judge

Steve Yeowell 4, Fraser Irving 1

I love Yeowll's classic comic style art. I like Fraser's Death.

maryanddavid

paddykafka

Colin YNWA

Last call on this one and I'll be honest I'm surprised how this one has gone so far as much as I adore The Mighty Yeowell's art I thought he was more devisive? Let's see how the last votes go before reading too much into things I guess. So remember vote today and I'll count up in the morning.

Speaking of getting your vote in time I did and I'm a bit torn. I've made no secret that Steve Yeowell is one of my absolute favourites. I mean seriously the people I would rate him above would probly get me kicked off the board BUT at the same time I'm a massive fan of Fraser Irving's distinct, powerful style. Interesting that The Mighty Yeowell has done some high contrast stuff in his time, particularly Zenith era yet its nothing like Fraser's high contrast work.

Okay, okay enough procrastination... arrrhhh I have to go

The Mighty Yeowell 4 : Fraser Irving 1

BUT Fraser Irving know that I can only think of one or two artists who could have win by such a margin and most would fall to you!

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

And we start getting results for what might be a vital week for Current Team with another win. That's four on the bounce and suddenly Classic Team, still with the lead we mustn't forget is looking over its shoulder as that lead narrows, considerably  and thoughts of this being a romp to victory seem a long time around and they'll need a win soon or this could go a very different way.

As for the result of this vote, well. I'm sure if I let my love for Steve Yeowell mask the love others feel for him, in that I notice and think about when others don't appreciate his work more to try to work out why? Maybe I just over estimate the love for Fraser Irving's work, though there is clearly a lot, as I like it so much? Either way when I did my (rubbish) predictions I had this as an Irving win so the fact that The Mighty Yeowell took this one so comprehensively is a surprise. Though a delight as well.

Current Team 5 : Classic Team 6

Current Team 501: Classic Team 574

broodblik

This is getting closer now and all fairness to the current artists is that they will always fight against the nostalgia factor and also that the classic artists was the first to show use some of the most awesome characters ever to appear in comics
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 20 May, 2021, 07:38:14 AM
This is getting closer now and all fairness to the current artists is that they will always fight against the nostalgia factor and also that the classic artists was the first to show use some of the most awesome characters ever to appear in comics

Yeah I completely agree. The classic artists were also drawing as we were growing (for many of us any way) and learning and shaping what we like in art and what art impresses us. It will be interest to look back when we are done and see how many of the Current winners are artist who have worked through from earlier days?

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 May, 2021, 08:03:10 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 20 May, 2021, 07:38:14 AM

Yeah I completely agree. The classic artists were also drawing as we were growing (for many of us any way) and learning and shaping what we like in art and what art impresses us. It will be interest to look back when we are done and see how many of the Current winners are artist who have worked through from earlier days?

Do I see a far future three-way poll taking shape? Paroled; Lifers; New Fish.