Main Menu

Prog 2237 - Demons of the Deep

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 June, 2021, 05:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Corinthian

Chimpsky speculation:

1 [spoiler]The AI seems to have a bit of a personality to it so... cyber-reincarnation of family matriarch Amanda Jepperson? And is that why "she won't have droids in the house"? (Chimpsky's narration implies she's dead - so the tense of that statement might also be a giveaway.)[/spoiler]

2 Following the crime fiction rule that [spoiler]the atypical murder is the clue to what's really going on[/spoiler], then was [spoiler]Claude Jepperson the real intended target?[/spoiler] Shame we've been told next to nothing about him.

Barrington Boots

First off loving the cover, I would buy a thrash metal album with this artwork on it.

Dredd is fantastic, best thing this week and deservedly so given the pedigree. It's a sick, dark story and hilarious with it. I'm hoping this will keep escalating with the hitman having to kill more and more to cover his tracks and then it'll turn out the crime the original guy was about to spill on is something ludicrous. Old school glorious Dredd.

Mechastopheles is over so soon! Bit of a surprise - hopefully this is an intro for a longer run as this felt a bit like setting some things up. As I said last week, the art of the demon machine underwater is just amazing.

Department K safe, bland script and characters. Lovely art but nothing else really to engage here.

Skip Tracer - Hmm. Last series was the best Skip yet but this needs to really build on that as it's had enough chances to not be more than kind of ok. As an opener there's not anything wrong with this but not anything good either. Looks good, as ever.

Chimpsky's Law Storytelling is great here - like Dredd it balances humour and awfulness but in a totally different manner. I've said good things about this every week and all written before remains true. Digging it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Wow those pencils are astonishing. Its interesting to see in the final colour choices - which work really well to establish environment - which bits ping out more on the pencils than the final image.

norton canes

Shame it's not possible to tweak the Rennie droid's operating mode so he can deliver regular 10-part stories. These four instalments have been welcome and enjoyable but ultimately add to the pantheon of intermittent strips that are hard to follow with extended absences. Or if a droid is already working at capacity, perhaps it would be better for mini-chapters such as this to be self-contained stories, more along the lines of Visions of Deadworld?

I mean say what you like about Skip Tracer (okay perhaps not) but at least it's reliable and the chapters don't come to an abrupt halt. And this week is a great introductory episode, actually!

Lovely stuff again in Chimpsky, and Dredd is gloriously dark. As for Department K - got an idea about that, but I might save it for an attempt at the letters page...

norton canes

Oh, the cover! You know, that pencilled version might have looked even more striking, especially given the story's Renaissance theme.

broodblik

Quote from: norton canes on 24 June, 2021, 10:26:14 AM
Oh, the cover! You know, that pencilled version might have looked even more striking, especially given the story's Renaissance theme.

Yes, that cover would be striking and I can see that would have worked
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

DrJomster

What you lot said basically! Another really strong prog!

Apart from the awesomeness mentioned above, can I give a shout out for the first page of Skip Tracer. Loved the concentric central panels and the stepped zoom in on the spaceships. V nice! A good opening episode for ST here.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Proudhuff

The excellent Dredd and Chimpsky bookend the rather lackluster filling in this weeks thrill sandwich.
Dept S sorry K, feels like it could be set in any fictional future (or steampunk past) and its link to the Dreddverse is flimsy to say the least.
The Big Mech seemed to have just got fired up to be closed down. The whole thing appears to be a set up for a future tale.
I have no understanding of why Skipper Tracey has constantly been revived, is it that popular?

And a letters page!
DDT did a job on me

Sean SD

My Top 3 for Prog 2237

Same top two as last prog but with the order reversed.

Then a bit of a drop to the remaining 3 thrills which are all fine, just not same level as top 2

1st - Dredd - Hitman's day/week getting progressively worse. Love MacNeil's work, page 3 & 7 of the prog very well done
2nd - Chimpsky - Fun strip, well done team!!
3rd - Mechastopheles - Boo Cook again!!

plus - a letters page, always enjoy a letters page, might have to write one myself