Main Menu

Grant Morrison or Alec Worley - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 16

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 July, 2021, 06:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 15 July, 2021, 08:04:33 AM
This is about quality and not attitude. I have a huge respect for Ennis since he was man enough to admit his "mistakes" whereas I find Morrison's attitude as arrogant and "I am better than you"

I think both Morrison - and someone else said Millar had done the same - has acknowledge the could act like a dick back then and this 2000d work was sub-par ... so actually maybe they may be more more simialr than I first acknowledged!

The bright young things that have gone on to shine so brightly but look back at their time with Tharg - whince and proclaim "Yeah...errr... sorry about that..."

MEM = Mercurial Exiting Missteps???

broodblik

We all are "guilty" off that one in our younger days arrogantly believing you know best and everyone around is fools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

I think it's true that people have that attitude. These people were younger than the generation that ushered in 2000 AD—and far less mature. I will give them a little leeway, because the editorial team should have had more control. Instead, they let children run riot with crayons. Mind you, having been responsible for Zenith, it is quite amazing the tosh Morrison then churned out for the comic. Still, by his own admission, he couldn't give a crap by that point.

They were quite fortunate on heading to the US that they either grew up a bit or had better editors; probably both. Trashing legacies over the pond like they did with Dredd wouldn't have gone down well and they'd have never got away with it.

In a more general sense, it's interesting in these votes—especially when five points can be assigned—how much value people assign to single stories/strips. The level to which they are not only trump cards but also counter other writing sins is quite something.

milstar

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 July, 2021, 10:09:28 PM
I kind of liked the way the ending bucked the superhero trend a bit - [spoiler]It's entirely within the hands of the bad guys whether Batman lives or dies, and he just gets lucky[/spoiler]  But maybe it wouldn't stand up if I read it again these days.

I find that the weakest part in the book, imho. And so out of the character. But, by Morrison's admission, he purposefully made Batman miserable and unsympathetic character; contrary to his later stories. Then again, those later stories are not everyone's cup of tea.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.