Main Menu

Traitor to his Kind V The Glum Affair - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Relaunch: Gam

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 August, 2021, 06:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Traitor to his Kind V The Glum Affair - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Relaunch: Game 03

The stories post Relaunch are still in the early stages of their qualifying mini-tourney. At some point I'll work out how to catch them up BUT until there don't worry just enjoy some very interesting match ups

All you need do is vote for your favourite between:

Traitor to his Kind - more info

Vs

The Glum Affair - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easy) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 8th August and the winner (I'll count up who gets the most votes basically) gets 3 points towards qualifying... huh...

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

What on Earth is all this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Oh and my 'More info' links... well I don't say how much more and they get pretty wonky at times!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Ooh, the sequel vs the original! I remember loving Traitor to his Kind when it first ran in the Prog but on rereads it wasn't quite as powerful. So I'm voting Glum Affair. Cause there's just something about Billy Glum being so angry with Johnny that really works.

Barrington Boots

Quite tough this one - neither are very top drawer SD but I think both of them are great stories.
I do like angry Billy Glum and the sneaky bounty hunting shenanigans in Glum Affair but I think I'm going to go with Traitor to his Kind. It's impactful, got a great opening, Alpha is badass, Wulf has a threesome, Dai the Death is great idea. I also really like King Clarkie whenever he appears.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

I, Cosh

All this is highlighting that I really don't remember a lot of Strontium Dogs stories very well. A reread of the full relaunch material might be needed.

Traitor to His Kind because I remember it.
We never really die.

Dark Jimbo

Ooh, tough one! Traitor to his Kind is an absolute classic, but I think The Glum Affair gets this one for me. Weirdly enough I really hated it when it ran in the prog; what a joyless slog of a story, I thought. But encountering it again in the Ultimate Collection it was like reading a different story - it's so much fun. I love it when Johnny and Wulf are hustling for bounties.
@jamesfeistdraws

Leigh S

This is a tricky one - love both of these. Glum Affair has a lot more Bounty hunting goodness in it, but I do like the plot threads of Portrait being use here - shame Culliver never got any proper use.

So Traitor To His Kind

Southstreeter

As someone said above, the more recent stuff seems less memorable than the old stuff. Or maybe my memory is not what it was. Or I've reread the old stuff in the phone books. Or something.
Anyway,
Traitor it is.

Colin YNWA

Just today here and this one is quiet so get any votes in and this one could still shift around.

This is tough as I really enjoyed The Glum Affair in my recent re-read its ... well glum and poor ol' Glum. Alas it come up against a classic, bold and powerful story that really felt like the culmination of the series coming back and on that basis:

Traitor To His Kind

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

This one was never really close to be honest. Which is kinda a shame as The Glum Affair was a superb story but come on there was only ever one winner to this bout...

Traitor to his Kind

Points   Votes Difference
Traitor to his Kind           3                     7
The Headly Foot Job     0                     0
The Glum Affair              0                     -7

Still two to come and all to play for on in this group.