Spoilers > Other Reviews

Firekind

(1/3) > >>

broodblik:
This is the one I have been waiting for.  The best is that I can remember that I liked this, but I could not really tell you know why and what. So, let’s put the proof in the pudding let’s see if it stood the test of time. Does my memory of this being good still hold up?

In essence his is a story about greed, humankinds lust for what others have told in John Smith unique style. Today I can apricate this story much more since it is something we all witness how we are destroying out world we live in. The story feels like an Avatar rip-off, but roles should be reversed.  John Smith knows how the pull our strings in pull us into his sci-fi landscape.

The art by Paul Marshall is good and I think this was his first work for the house of Tharg. His style has change from his earlier works and looks different today (and I love his old and new style). The alien world is beautifully illustrated by Marshall.

So, if you are a John Smith fan do not miss this and anyone who likes their sci-fi a little bit different or even weird this is for you. My final verdict is that it stood the test of time – Get it !!!!!!

The Corinthian:

--- Quote from: broodblik on 04 September, 2021, 06:54:35 PM ---The art by Paul Marshall is good and I think this was his first work for the house of Tharg.

--- End quote ---

Not quite. He'd done some Future Shocks and a couple of Dredds a few years earlier. Given how far in advance Firekind was being plugged in the Nerve Centre, I can imagine he was putting a lot of time and effort into the strip... and it looks it.

broodblik:
So Paul Marshall's first Dredd was "A Monkey's Tale" prog 647 written by Alan Grant but his first work for the prog was a Future Shock "Heroic Failure" in prog 569 written by Alex Stewart (it was a full 1 page)

I, Cosh:

--- Quote from: broodblik on 04 September, 2021, 06:54:35 PM ---The story feels like an Avatar rip-off, but roles should be reversed.

--- End quote ---
As much as I love Firekind (and I really, really love it) John's been quite open about how much Ursula le Guin he was reading at the time. Both Firekind and Avatar are fairly shameless rip-offs of The Word for World is Forest. It's all in what you do with that source though and Firekind's hallucinogenic tone poetry is somehow more satisfying.

The Corinthian:
I love Firekind but I love it better in collected form than I did reading it episodically back in 1993. It turned up around the time I was beginning to lose focus on 2000AD. It had been a fairly scrappy read for months beforehand and while there was a big and welcome upswing in quality with Prog 828 it was hard to shake off the habits I'd got into during the doldrums. So I was often speed reading on trains or during downtime at college and that's not an ideal way to follow something as involved as Firekind, even before Tharg went and missed out an episode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version