Spoilers > Other Reviews

Firekind

<< < (2/3) > >>

broodblik:
In the collection (and I am sure that it is the same case with the xtreme print edition) episode 6 is a double episode and only contains "12" episodes. The out-of-sequence episode was thus embedded into episode 6. 

The Corinthian:
That's how it is in the Ultimate Collection edition. I don't have the Extreme edition any more and I may be misremembering but I think it reproduced all of the captioning from Prog 840 on the first page.

Richard:
Checked the Extreme Edition and it looks fine.

AlexF:
The art in Firekind really is a cut above. I hate to say it but accomplished as Paul Marshall is the stryle he's developed since has never matched these heights - Leatherjack in partiuclar pales in comparison.
His b&w stuff on Ulysses Sweet was a perfect tonal fit, and I think paired with Dylan Teague his work on Skip Tracer is as good as he's been in ages - but I do miss these gorgeous detailed paintings. I can well imagine it's not a cost effective way to make comics, mind!

Colin YNWA:

--- Quote from: AlexF on 07 September, 2021, 12:08:19 PM ---The art in Firekind really is a cut above. I hate to say it but accomplished as Paul Marshall is the stryle he's developed since has never matched these heights - Leatherjack in partiuclar pales in comparison.
His b&w stuff on Ulysses Sweet was a perfect tonal fit, and I think paired with Dylan Teague his work on Skip Tracer is as good as he's been in ages - but I do miss these gorgeous detailed paintings. I can well imagine it's not a cost effective way to make comics, mind!

--- End quote ---

Oh that's interesting - much as I love the art in Firekind I do think its an artist still developing. He went though a mid-phase I didn't like so much but since say 2005 (??? pucked from my head) his art has been getting better and better in my eye.

Art huh!

As for Firekind as a whole I think its a masterpiece but not Smith's best work. Off the top of my head I do (possibly...) prefer Leatherjack, defo prefer Cradlegrave, New Statemen (possibly my favourite of his) and latter day Indigo Prime. I think again its a writer in development and while his ideas are more fully formed here than on say Revere (which I also love) I think he still has a way to go to really get the mix of high concept, purple prose and spot on story just right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version