Main Menu

Legends of Luther Arkwright

Started by Tjm86, 31 October, 2021, 07:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Trying very hard not to geek out over the news that the new volume of Luther Arkwright now has a release date ...

Pity that there are different UK / US publishers as having one Dark Horse and one Jonathan Cape volume would be slightly problematic.  I'm still looking at a reliable source for the Grandville Integrale because of this.

sheridan

sheridan

...wonder if that date is significant in the story?

DrJomster

Can't wait!

Must crack open the original stories for a read through ahead of the release.

Great news indeed!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

sheridan

Quote from: DrJomster on 01 November, 2021, 11:03:04 AM
Can't wait!

Must crack open the original stories for a read through ahead of the release.

Great news indeed!

But will you include The Papist Affair?

Something I like about Luther Arkwright is that every story has been utterly different to what went previously - you can say that about Talbot - Bryan doesn't produce a sequel for the sake of a sequel.

Dandontdare

I'm always wary when creators return to old projects, but Mr Talbot hasn't put a foot wrong yet, so I'm up for this.

Quote from: sheridan on 01 November, 2021, 12:10:21 PM

Wait, the what now? Why don't I know about this and where can I find it?

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 November, 2021, 04:54:40 PM
I'm always wary when creators return to old projects, but Mr Talbot hasn't put a foot wrong yet, so I'm up for this.

Quote from: sheridan on 01 November, 2021, 12:10:21 PM

Wait, the what now? Why don't I know about this and where can I find it?

It was the very first Arkwright story - back in Bryan's indie comics (or is that comix?) days.  It's...  er... rather different in tone to the Arkwright stories you're used to.  It's also about four pages long and the only place I've seen it reprinted was in one of the Valkyrie comics which came out just after the first story was finally completed.  For context, the first bits of the first Arkwright series appeared in a number of comics which tended to go bust.

Richard

Here it is, but I recommend you don't bother, because it's pretty terrible!

https://www.bryan-talbot.com/arkwright/the-papist-affair.php

rogue69

Anyone that is going to LFCC the Comic museum has copies of this on pre sale

robprosser

Bought it at the exhibition a few weeks ago and finally got around to reading it yesterday. It's superb. Talbot is still absolutely at the top of his game and it's a worthy follow-up.

Richard

This just arrived today. It's a beautiful big hardback volume with a black leather effect cover and over 200 pages. I had planned on re-reading the first two volumes before starting this one, but the introduction says it's a self-contained story so I think I'll just dive in.

sheridan

I'm due to get it on Saturday, and I will be re-reading Adventures and Empire first.

Richard

Richard

Just finished it, thought it was great. I highly recommend this to everyone.

Tjm86

Bookplate edition from Gosh, signing today (16th).  So patience is still necessary.

Bugger that ... I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!

... and breathe ....