Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Ace Trucking vs. HAVN Round 2 Heat 14

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 January, 2022, 06:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well if Week 1 was a gentle phasing in of quality from Round 1 with some pretty ropey ties, Week 2 hits us right between the eyes with the other end of things. This is the week that if I'd been feeling a little fast and loose with the draw I could have opened with. There's some mouth watering ties and some decisions that will make your eyes water. THIS is what Round 2 is all about...

I'm fascinated to see how Ace Trucking does in this tourney. It has so many fans, but ended so poorly (personal opinionTM). Is it a dark horse for a spot in the Quarters, or will it fall early? Well I struggle to see HAVN, intriguing thrill though it is, offering much to stop its progress:

Ace Trucking Co - more info

Vs

HAVN - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 29th January  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

Not a fan of Ace but HAVN was so-so. Maybe best let me abstain
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

At its best, Ace Trucking was a lot of fun. Yes it fizzled out with two overlong stories, but with, say, Too Many Bams, the creators were clearly enjoying themselves which was infectious.

Ace Trucking Co.

AlexF

Ace Trucking only really had that one very bad, very long story - the Garpetbaggers. Sure, not everythinig before that was top tier, but it was always fun, and at its best it was just a glorious mix of character design, weird alien beasties, and surreal/hilarious dialogue - that somehow always made sense, even though I only discovered the 'Handbook' in a back Prog after I'd been devouring the strip for a couple of years.

Havn is perfectly good, perhaps a touch too cynical for my tastes.

Ace Trucking Co, and it really could go a long way...

Blue Cactus

HAVN was ok, enjoyed a reread in the floppy recently. I am very fond of Ace Trucking to this day though. Agree it gets a bit rubbish towards the end but most of the fun I find great fun, and Belardinelli firing on all cylinders is a beautiful thing to behold.

Ace Trucking Co

Sean SD

Link Prime

Those Icelandic Pixies may have made it through round one, but will find no safe HAVN when pitted against the 46 inch waist might of middle-aged nostalgia.

Ace Trucking Co

IndigoPrime

Having big connections with Iceland, I was always interested to see what 2000 AD would do with it. HAVN... just didn't click. It didn't feel especially Icelandic. Also, it just wasn't that exciting.

Ace Trucking reads quite well in the UC, mostly because it was cut down. It is, sadly, quite sexist throughout, but putting that gripe aside it's a breezy read and has some wonderful art. So that's an easy win for me.

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

CalHab

Ace. Of its time, but with some great moments, outrageous wordplay and wonderful character design.

rogue69

Rogue Judge

Ace Trucking Co.   Big 10-4. Keep your eyes and ears open and your black stack smoking. Over and out, good buddy.

Funt Solo

Havn's for blubbos and flanners. I'm all for clearway lugbuddies burning jekyl from disgumby to plasma jam blipping big byms.

Ace Trucking Co.

---

Havn isn't awful, but it's a little too surreal for me. Ace Trucking definitely outstayed it's welcome - you know there's a problem when the core concept gets abandoned and the characters end up driving a jeep through a bunch of Hollywood metaphors. Space was abandoned. Trucking was abandoned. Oh dear...

But it launched like a powerhouse - with Kleggs, and a zombie minder, and a maniacal, skeletal Scottie, and a cut-out-and-keep space trucker's dictionary. I was genuinely excited for the Great Mush Rush. The Bams were sublime comedy gold. Good times.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++