Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Harmony vs. Stickleback Round 2 Heat 47

Started by Colin YNWA, 24 February, 2022, 06:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Dear diary as we enter Week 6 of Round 2 I look at the thrills involved and count my blessing that the draw has been kind. Some slight variation in how the thrills came out and we might have had some really tough calls. As it is, some big thrills - for me - come up against decent middling thrills. I still wonder if doing this will bring me love...

Harmony got through Round 1 with the same low vote count as interceptor (see yesterday's Heat 46). I think it will take more than that to get past on of the big hits of the Rebellion years.

Harmony - more info

Vs

Stickleback - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 27th February  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

Huey2

sintec

Stickleback - still clinging onto the hope we'll get a 2nd volume in the UC

abelardsnazz

As I think I said in Round 1, Harmony started off well but then ran out of steam.

For its steampunk gnarliness, Stickleback.

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

AlexF

I like Harmony, and don't love Stickleback...

but the latter thrill is just objectively better on pretty much every level, and when it rises to its own potential, it's superb. I do sometimes wonder how much Edginton is interested in studying his characters, and how much he's interested in just throwing so MUCH stuff at them that they don't have time to actually identify and pursue their own agendas. Or maybe its that he puts so MUCH effort into giving each character their own style of patter that it gets in the way of me actually getting inside their heads.

Depsite all that, Stickleback

(Harmony suffers the same problem of taking its name from the main character, but then telling stories that are often not especially about that character, and this bugs me)

Timothy

Quote from: AlexF on 24 February, 2022, 09:45:57 AM

(Harmony suffers the same problem of taking its name from the main character, but then telling stories that are often not especially about that character, and this bugs me)

How do you feel about Brink?

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

can't vote for the poor twist, or the humongous hiatus, so harmony (which wasn't bad at all).

AlexF

Quote from: Timothy on 24 February, 2022, 10:21:53 AM
Quote from: AlexF on 24 February, 2022, 09:45:57 AM

How do you feel about Brink?

Hah! Fair point. I absolutely adore Brink. Although I must say even at the start of Book 1 I never felt that Brinkman was like 'the main guy we are following' - I always treated the title more as 'people living on the brink', so the title works as it frames the story around the setting, rather than the characters.

Zenith, on the other hand...

Magnetica

Harmony was a strip with a lot of potential and great art. And then it just well stopped / petered out.

Alex is right, Stickleback is objectively better on all fronts. Well may apart from the art - there was a time when Trevor Hairsine was the next big thing in terms of 2000AD artists, possibly the new McMahon. Not sure what happened to him. (Other than what Wikipedia says - Marvel and games).
Anyway as I was saying, Stickleback is (probably) objectively better....but here's the thing....I don't really like it all that much. So I'm voting Harmony.