Main Menu

Time Bomb Comics announces new, newsstand anthology comics title, “Quantum”

Started by rogue69, 17 February, 2023, 09:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Independent publisher Time Bomb Comics has just announced "Quantum", a new, physical comic magazine which will be available in newsagents across the UK and select international retailers.Publisher Steve Tanner is holding his cards close to his chest on who's involved in the new project and what genre of strips will feature, but has said Quantum #1 will contain five stories, and begin four ongoing serials, "each one set in a world alternate to our own".
https://downthetubes.net/time-bomb-comics-announces-new-newsstand-anthology-comics-title-quantum/?

Barrington Boots

Interesting news this. I really enjoyed Flintlock, Brawler didn't quite have enough to sustain my interest. Newstand distribution seems a bit suicidal from what I've read, but I hope this takes off.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

rogue69

sheridan

I wonder if we can find out any more about it?  Perhaps on a podcast primarily about works created by 2000AD creators (hint, the latest Mega-City Book Club is all about Quantum)!

Barrington Boots

I'm going to head out later and try and pick this up. My local WH Smith doesn't stock the Prog but does stock Monster Fun, so it'll be interesting to see if its there.

Looks like there might be a lot of material here I've already read (Clockwork Cavalier and Worlds Fastest Man definitely) but it's such an ambitious plan it needs supporting.

Goosegash

Picked this up today from Smiths today, having not heard anything about it before. The first strip, Major Arkhana, rang a bell - then I realised I recognised the character from one of the Shift specials a couple of years back (which sadly my Smiths seem to've stopped carrying now, haven't seen a copy for months).

Timebomb were behind that "Worlds Of Gerry Anderson" comic from last year weren't they, which felt very similar to Quantum in presentation/art style - I wonder what happened with that as it only lasted one issue?

Barrington Boots

Picked this up today. my local Smiths doesn't stock the Prog but did stock this, which was a good thing.

I didn't think the storytelling was all that good in the first three stories but they've all got some really good ideas and I'm interested to read more of them. Major Rakhana, which I thought would be strongest story based on past appearances, is actually the weakest strip. The what-ho jingoism is a bit overdone and whilst I like the concept of the Sanjay character, the execution is not good: I understood he's a flip version the near-naked females of Edgar Rice Burroughs etc but then having him crawling around on a dog leash later takes this in different directions I think.
Also I am a big fan of the design of the Major's fishbowl helmet, but given nobody else is wearing one in the alien atmosphere, why does she wear it? And why is she still wearing it whilst drinking her tea?

I haven't kept up with Westernoir but I was pleased to see this taken in a more 'weird west' direction than focusing purely on the the original protagonist. Liked the art a lot on this one. I thought the third strip, Memphis, was the most interesting.

The last two strips are reprints but that's not an issue. Clockwork Cavalier looks really good in colour.

I enjoyed it and I'd definitely buy this again. It's a definite cut below 2000ad though and I'm not sure this would appeal to anyone who isn't a small press enthusiast. Really hope this captures some imaginations though and is able to continue. 

rogue69

Check in with the kids comics in W H Smiths as that is where i found it for some reason

Blue Cactus

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 24 April, 2023, 01:36:20 PMI didn't think the storytelling was all that good in the first three stories but they've all got some really good ideas and I'm interested to read more of them. Major Rakhana, which I thought would be strongest story based on past appearances, is actually the weakest strip. The what-ho jingoism is a bit overdone and whilst I like the concept of the Sanjay character, the execution is not good: I understood he's a flip version the near-naked females of Edgar Rice Burroughs etc but then having him crawling around on a dog leash later takes this in different directions I think.
Also I am a big fan of the design of the Major's fishbowl helmet, but given nobody else is wearing one in the alien atmosphere, why does she wear it? And why is she still wearing it whilst drinking her tea?

I was interested you mentioned some of this Boots. The Major Rakhana story in that Shift Brawler special didn't sit right with me at all. Partly it was that we seem to be meant to side with a British Empire in Space (complete with red coats and pith helmets of the actual, horrific British Empire) who are out colonizing other planets, and the reader isn't supposed to question, well, colonialism. Then it seemed as though the rank and file soldiers were meant to be laughed at for, you know, using working class dialect and not being very clever. And then you had Rakhana who I think you were supposed to like, but who was really arrogant and keeps people as slaves. I got the impression I just have very different sensibilities to the writer. There was a later story in the Brawler special where the plot was Dick Turpin goes into a cave and finds a colony of giant millipedes has killed someone. So he runs away and then blows them up. I was just wanting him to leave them alone in their cave! Anyway, I don't like being negative on the forum but that first strip really left a bad taste in my mouth. I haven't read Burroughs though so maybe I missed the point. Of course the more new comics on the stands the better and I realise I don't have to read it!

Barrington Boots

I 100% get what you're saying there. I believe Major Rakhana is a take on the classic Dan Dare / Flashman / Victorian pulp / steampunk hero but with the twist being that the major is an Indian woman and the role of the scantily clad damsel in distress is taken by Sanjay who is a scantily clad bloke instead. I think it's an idea and setting that could be a lot of fun, but I didn't enjoy the jingoism or classism in the story and I think having Sanjay portrayed as a sort of sex slave on a dog collar is a terrible idea.
I'm really behind the idea of Quantum but for me, I do think it needs to be better.

Blue Cactus

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. But still, best of luck to the comic.

Barrington Boots

Anyone else reading this?

I picked up issue 3 this weekend - welcome as I've had no Prog for a couple of weeks. Three issues in and I'm still overall positive about it - I'm enjoying it more than Shift, which I've struggled with.

I'm really enjoying Death and Taxes and Memphis which I think have really strong and unusual ideas behind them, whilst I'm of the opinion that Major Rakhana is the the worst strip here by some margin, which is a shame as the concept is a good one. There's still storytelling issues throughout with both art and scripts but its still a decent read.

The bi-monthly scheduling does them no favours as I inevitably have to re-read the issue before to remind myself what happened, but that's better than the comic not existing at all. I hope having it in WH Smith is having a positive impact on sales.

Michael Knight

I'm reading and enjoying this too and loving the western horror story in particular. Current cover is a corker!