Main Menu

Star Wars: Andor

Started by Jim_Campbell, 21 September, 2022, 10:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 October, 2022, 10:43:16 PM
Andor will have 2 seasons. It was originally 5.

My bad. I should have looked that up...!

Disappointing, though. I could totally go more than two seasons. Especially since we'd been pre-warned that K-2SO wouldn't turn up in the first season.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 October, 2022, 11:02:12 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 October, 2022, 10:43:16 PM
Andor will have 2 seasons. It was originally 5.

My bad. I should have looked that up...!

Disappointing, though. I could totally go more than two seasons. Especially since we'd been pre-warned that K-2SO wouldn't turn up in the first season.

Gilroy and Luna decided during the making of season 1 they didn't want to be tied to the shooting schedule for several years, so Gilroy compressed the story into 2 seasons, which is where the idea of season 2's time-jumps between episodes came from.

wedgeski

I'll take two seasons of this quality, then consider Rogue One as the third part. Very happy with that thank-you. :)

Tiplodocus

Well episode 8 was another goody. Shawshank 1138 meets Handmaid's Tale levels of depressing telly. Love the contrast between the worlds of the prison and Coruscant and Ferrix. I kinda like seeing all of the bit part Brit actors appearing. Andy Serkis turning up was also a treat. Diego Luna is great - really selling the steps of his journey from where he started this to Rogue One.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Trooper McFad

Yep enjoyed this as the intrigue deepens on how the feck does Andor get out of his incarceration as I don't think they can jump 6 years.
The other threads are continuing and for me still engaging.

Does anyone know how many episodes are in this season?
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

JOE SOAP

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 27 October, 2022, 10:01:04 PM
Andy Serkis turning up was also a treat.

Somehow Snoke returned.
You may quote me on that.

Jim_Campbell

Another cracking episode this week, I thought.

The show's inspection of the grinding, petty, bureaucratic machine that drives a fascist state is an interesting and relevant take on the Star Wars universe, as is its depiction of the many small acts of rebellion that it takes to reach the tipping point of actual "Rebellion".

Andy Serkis, unsurprisingly, is brilliant, but the whole cast is excellent and multiple storylines are juggled deftly. This is some pretty damn good TV.

Trooper McFad

Totally agree. The "slow" start is vindicated (I was hooked from episode 1) this is the best Star Wars off shoot yet and we know what happens to Andor in the end.

On a side note I also enjoyed (not as much as Andor) the Tales of the Jedi especially the last scene of episode 5 for those that watched the full Clone Wars series. These wee shorts tried to fill in small gaps in characters stories.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Radbacker

I think this nearly beats out The Mandolorian as my favourite Starwars TV series.  The slow burn and quality of the writing nearly puts it up in the top tear of all TV up amongst the House of the Dragon for top TV this year.  The acting is superb from everyone, FX are great and considering the low action count the last two episodes have been edge of seat entertainment.  I really hope all f there is only 2 seasons the second season gets a bit of a time jump and ends flowing into Rogue One which is my favourite of the new Starwars movies.

CU Radbacker

Pyroxian

It's a toss-up between this and The Mandalorian. Andor is great and feels like a grown-up Star Wars, but the Mandalorian literally had me bouncing up and down in my seat and feeling like I was 6 years old again watching Star Wars in the cinema with my Dad.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Pyroxian on 04 November, 2022, 07:36:24 PM
It's a toss-up between this and The Mandalorian.

I'm happy for both to exist and not to have to choose between the two. I wouldn't want all Star Wars to be like Andor — it's largely escapism, after all, and The Mandalorian's spaghetti western take on the universe is very much to my liking.

At the same time, I think the expansion of Star Wars into the realm of TV allows for alternative investigations of the implications of the canon, and Andor has found a fascinating sideways look at the whole mythos that expands it without undermining it.

The Legendary Shark

Another corker this week, methinks. Building nicely.

Oh, and somebody mentioned Tales of the Jedi, which I hadn't heard of - thanks for that; loved it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 November, 2022, 08:47:02 PM
Another corker this week, methinks. Building nicely.

Terrific episode. This prison arc has been tremendously well-written, acted and superbly paced. Two more episodes to go — I simultaneously can't wait, and don't want it to end.

Tiplodocus

"What have I sacrificed?"

Fantastic to have stuff like this sharing episode with a great [spoiler]prison break[/spoiler]

I notice the writer was Beau Willimon who I think I've seen on House of Cards. The Coruscant threads of the episode could have come from that show.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!