Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milstar

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 September, 2021, 11:46:31 AM
Yeah Man on the Moon is a great movie.

Much to my surprise I discovered last night that Jim Carrey also appears in Dirty Harry movie 'The Dead Pool' last night... though I'm not suggesting its his best!

One i would throw into the pot, but I need to watch again to see how it stands the test of time is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which I loved back in the day...

it must be eons since I saw Man on the Moon the last time. But The Dead Pool will forever be remembered by:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43EJTd6cSZ8

Often considered as his acting as zany scorched-earth, I see why people forget hsi more dramatic and serious roles, which he often had the very wrong material. Like over-long and over-emotional The Majestic or nihilistic trash Dark Crimes.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

von Boom

I watch The Dead Pool last weekend and Carrey is pretty cringey really. The whole film lets the Dirty Harry series down but at least Eastwood had enough sense to say that's it and move on. Mind you, The Dead Pool is still miles better than a lot of the rubbish put out today.

Funt Solo

My only excuse for not mentioning Man on the Moon in the same breath as Truman or Eternal Sunshine is that it's not really a Jim Carrey movie: it's an Andy Kaufman movie.

Jim Carrey - Man on the Moon Audition Tape
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Woolly

Quote from: von Boom on 20 September, 2021, 02:57:09 PM
I watch The Dead Pool last weekend and Carrey is pretty cringey really. The whole film lets the Dirty Harry series down but at least Eastwood had enough sense to say that's it and move on. Mind you, The Dead Pool is still miles better than a lot of the rubbish put out today.

I honestly thought The Dead Pool was a return to form, myself! Carrey's take on Axel's snake dance get's a laugh from me every time, and the harpoon ending is wonderful ☺
I do have problems with it, but they are mainly the overcast skies and the ratio it's shot in. Gave it a cheap looking, TV movie feel.

Woolly

My favourite's The Enforcer though. Not as good as the original film by any means, but until 2012 it was the closest I got to having Dredd and Anderson on the screen!

milstar

Quote from: Woolly on 20 September, 2021, 04:31:46 PM
My favourite's The Enforcer though. Not as good as the original film by any means, but until 2012 it was the closest I got to having Dredd and Anderson on the screen!

Ah...that's probably why I never liked that movie much. Especially in the light of what reputation Harry's partners have.. Then again, I disliked Sudden Impact even more. I'll have to stick with the Magnum Force, very closely followed by the original.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Woolly

Yeah, Sudden Impact is pretty awful.
Always makes me wish that The Gauntlet was a Dirty Harry film instead.

von Boom

I love The Gauntlet. It should have been a Dirty Harry.

milstar

Have watched The Gauntlet recently. It probably didn't age well, but it's still an entertaining movie. I think when I watched it for the first time, I mistaken it for a Dirty Harry film, no kidding.

milstar

Donnie Darko

I remember we talked here a bit Donnie Darko's (pseudo)intellectual reach, but this movie doesn't sit well with me. And it's just how I remember it since the first time I've seen it. Like William Friedkin's Cruising, the plot is way too "intellectual" for my liking. And I wish they made him into a more sympathetic character, instead of kid who constantly looks as if on the dope.

pictsy

The Crow: City of Angels

More like shitty of Angels, amirite?

I'd like to say something positive about this film.  Um.  It has Ian Dury in it.  And Iggy Pop's characters death was visually poetic, I guess.

Otherwise, it just isn't very well made.  Not entirely badly made, but it falls just shy of competent in many places.  The script and characters are really weak.  There are a few interesting visuals, but mostly it just looks bad.  As a sequel it is pretty samey, but where it does try and change things up it fails to really add any value.

What I'm saying is the film is crap and not very entertaining.

CalHab

Funnily enough, that film came up in an interview with Iggy Pop last week:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/17/iggy-pop-on-finding-new-music-at-my-age-it-helps-to-remain-curious

He seems to view it as some kind of personal nadir.

wedgeski

Dunkirk. Finally got around to this admirable piece, but came away dissatisfied as I have with all Nolan films since Dark Knight Rises. The time shifting felt like a piece of gaffer tape rather than a legitimate part of the vision, and while the film had amazing tension in fits and starts, none of it travelled all the way from the opening scenes to the end. I recognise the cinematic value of vignette storytelling, but the unfortunate structure just diluted everything into sludge. One of the great things about Nolan's work is that you can marvel at the imagery and there's always the possibility it was created in camera, but apart from one stand-out shot at the beginning, I never, ever believed there were 300,00 troops on those beaches, which lent the whole thing a boutique scale at odds with the record. Plenty to admire, but more like a newsreel cut into something resembling a narrative. This may have been the director's intention, but I didn't get on with it.

CalHab

Disclaimer: I haven't watched Dunkirk.

I find him an interesting director, but he only has two films that have engaged me on an emotional level: Memento and The Prestige. It's hard to see past the artifice in the rest of his work, as you outline above.

His Batman films have aged particularly poorly, I think

pictsy

Quote from: wedgeski on 22 September, 2021, 02:01:10 PM
Dunkirk. Finally got around to this admirable piece, but came away dissatisfied as I have with all Nolan films since Dark Knight Rises. The time shifting felt like a piece of gaffer tape rather than a legitimate part of the vision, and while the film had amazing tension in fits and starts, none of it travelled all the way from the opening scenes to the end. I recognise the cinematic value of vignette storytelling, but the unfortunate structure just diluted everything into sludge. One of the great things about Nolan's work is that you can marvel at the imagery and there's always the possibility it was created in camera, but apart from one stand-out shot at the beginning, I never, ever believed there were 300,00 troops on those beaches, which lent the whole thing a boutique scale at odds with the record. Plenty to admire, but more like a newsreel cut into something resembling a narrative. This may have been the director's intention, but I didn't get on with it.

I tend to agree with this assessment.  In the end I found it a very dull experience.  I rate it is my least favourite of the Nolan films I've seen.

Quote from: CalHab on 22 September, 2021, 02:08:17 PM
I find him an interesting director, but he only has two films that have engaged me on an emotional level: Memento and The Prestige. It's hard to see past the artifice in the rest of his work, as you outline above.

His Batman films have aged particularly poorly, I think

I like those two films.  I think Memento may be his best crafted film.  It's a pretty simple story that is made engaging by it's presentation, which is woven into the narrative and breaks are provided by exposition for the gimmick.  Everything works in service of providing an engaging piece of cinema and I respect it a lot for it's efficiency in doing so.

I never especially liked his Batman films from the outset.  I can't take Batman as seriously as the films wanted me to - the concept of the character is too silly for me.  That might be why I like the Lego Batman movie and Batman Returns as much as I do.