Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrin

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 03 March, 2010, 10:36:41 AM
"Rise of the Iron moon" by Stephen Hunt. Quite Jules Verne but with a modern twist, steampunk influences especially. Fun though so far and I keep finding excuses to read more. :P

I take it you read the first two Zarjazzer, "The Court of the Air" and "The Kingdom Beyond the Waves". I thought they were all pretty good fun. There's a new one out as well "Secrets of the Fire Sea".

I'm about half way through the third of George R R Martin's "Fire and Ice" books. So many storylines, and all brilliant.

Zarjazzer

Kerrin-er, no! I just got it as I liked the blurb on the back. I had no idea he'd done others. Luckily you don't need to know lots of what went on before to enjoy it.I shall keep the others on my to buy list as I'm really enjoying this one. 
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

I, Cosh

Some decent holiday reading for me. The Siege of Krishnapur by Mr JG Farrell was an enjoyable microcosm of British society during the Indian Mutiny which did a good job of managing its array of different voices, even if some of them were a bit heavily symbolic.

Up the Walls of the World by Mr James Tiptree, Jr was corking good sci-fi. I'm sure I recall Wake recommending this before and you can put me down for a plus one. It's initially split into three main strands, but there's one set on a fantastically well thought out, fully realised and truly alien alien world which really stands out. Tiptree's own identity also adds a bit of a frisson to the pervasive theme of gender roles.

Just started Mr Alistair Reynolds' Revelation Space. It's a hardback, so awkward to read in bed.
We never really die.

Kerrin

If you're reading 'Revelation Space' for the first time you're in for a treat Cosh.

I got the hardback 'Kick-Ass' and volume 1 of 'Chimpanzee Complex' in the post today. I've actually got a backlog of trades now. Excellent.

Emperor

Quote from: Kerrin on 08 March, 2010, 09:42:54 PM
If you're reading 'Revelation Space' for the first time you're in for a treat Cosh.

I feel joy and pity for him, pity only because he is now going to have to keep reading the rest of the books until, one day, he finds he has enough bricks of books to build a kennel.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Strontium Jimmy

Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons, the last in his Hyperion series. So far an entertaining and creative series if a little uneven.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 08 March, 2010, 09:29:44 PM
Up the Walls of the World by Mr James Tiptree, Jr

Shouldn't that be Ms James Tiptree Jr?  An excellent tale.

Reynolds does seem inhumanly prolific, but he seldom disappoints.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Strontium Jimmy on 09 March, 2010, 11:14:09 AM
Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons, the last in his Hyperion series. So far an entertaining and creative series if a little uneven.

I loved this book. Yes, too long, I think, but a stunning conclusion to the series.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 March, 2010, 01:35:06 PM
Up the Walls of the World by Mr James Tiptree, Jr
Shouldn't that be Ms James Tiptree Jr?  An excellent tale.
As my dear, departed Gran used to say: I'm not as green as I'm cabbage looking you know.
Tiptree's own identity also adds a bit of a frisson to the pervasive theme of gender roles.
We never really die.

vzzbux

Just started Star Wars Imperial Commando.

Just seen the new RC figure in the evolutions pack. Unless he has a new uniform in this book, this isn't Fi Skirata. It still wont stop me buying it though. And he wasn't a sergeant.

This is Fi

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Christov

A very battered copy of Batman: Dark Victory. Bloody hell Amazon, why do I always get dog-eared comics from you lot?

TordelBack

Quote from: vzzbux on 09 March, 2010, 11:03:35 PM
It still wont stop me buying it though.

Not when this version (finally) has articulated knee joints!

The Monarch

Fresh from a1 comics I got the twelve:spearhead drawn by chris weston and err written by a promising newcomer to american comics called Crhis weston

its good...its really good the only downside to it is I want weston to write more twelve!

Goatilocks

The Black Death - Philip Ziegler

COMMANDO FORCES

Read the latest tpb of The Boys on Thursday. Loved the Nazi superman bit!