Main Menu

OZ readers.

Started by Valhalla, 24 April, 2020, 05:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valhalla

Hi,

It's been a long time (10-15 years ) since I read 2000 AD and I'm keen to get back into it; unfortunately the comics landscape has changed dramatically in Sydney Australia.

I used to be able to get it from most newsagents and there were several comic stores who carried it as well as back issues and graphic novels.

Sadly this has changed with few newsagents carrying magazines let alone comics and most comic stores closing down.

So, a question...

If there's any readers in Australia; where are you based and how do you get your copy of 2000 AD?

If you subscribe rather than buy locally what's the service like? How quickly does it arrive in Australia? Given Australia Post will do the last leg of delivery what's the condition like when they arrive (I'm nervous that the postie would fold them to get it into the letter box....)

Thanks for your help guys.
Val.

broodblik

I life in South Africa and the last physical copy I saw in our newsstands is about 20 years ago. So I went the digital route and the nice thing about this is that every prog since 2003 is available digitally.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

colindean

I'm in New Zealand, and you can still find 2000ad in a few comic shops (hopefully they survive the current crisis). I used to buy physical, but it was always at least a month behind. I went digital a few years back and have found it a great way to read both the prog and the Meg.

Until recently, that is. The Android app, of late, has severe issues and is currently refusing to download my comics. I can still manually download from the store here, but hopefully a fix will come sooner rather than later.

broodblik

The IOS app works although it is very sluggish currently, whereas the Windows App is totally broken. I normally download the prog/meg via the website in CBZ format. I use the application CDisplayEx .
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

13school

There was a very long stretch where I never saw 2000AD in Australian newsagents (I'm in Melbourne) but would occasionally see the Megazine. Then over the last few years it's seemed like 2000AD has made a bit of a comeback into the bigger newsagents... just as a lot of newsagents have closed down. But I do still see it in the handful of comprehensive newsagents I pass by, so it's definitely available. If you can find a
"proper" newsagent (not a Tatts outlet with a handful of copies of New Idea) with a Gordon & Gotch account, they should be able to order it in for you.

I currently get 2000AD and the Megazine from a large Melbourne comic shop, but I've been told they're no longer taking orders for 2000AD ("if you cancel your order, you can't start it up again") because they had trouble with the distributor in the past. But in the last few months they've started to get their copies sealed in monthly packs so I'm guessing they've moved over to Diamond distribution now. So it's also available through at least some comic shops still.

broodblik

I think I know why we struggle to get AD in the newsstands and a it is that the colonies keep winning the country of the queen in all sport events. It is simply a case of revenge

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 29 April, 2020, 12:29:09 PM
I think I know why we struggle to get AD in the newsstands and a it is that the colonies keep winning the country of the queen in all sport events. It is simply a case of revenge

Yeah but recent improvements on that front mean we have granted our colonial cousins digital as a reward for their slowly deminishing dominance.

allistermac

I moved to Australia from England around 13 years ago. I kept up my physical subscription in England for quite a few years and would get a massive stack of progs whenever my Mother came to visit. At one point I was about 2 years behind and rationing the progs I had. The few times I saw progs in the newsagents they were very expensive and 6 months old.

I'm now a digital subscriber to both 2000 AD and the Megazine. It is great to be up to date but I do miss the tactile quality of the physical prog, and trying to read it on an iPad in my hammock and avoiding sun glare can be a challenge (it's a hard life, I know!), but definitely the way to go.

I would suggest that anyone who takes a digital subscription does it directly through the 2000 AD web store. Your money is going straight to the creators without others (such as Apple) taking their cut and often get a better price.

broodblik

Quote from: allistermac on 30 April, 2020, 02:46:50 AM
I would suggest that anyone who takes a digital subscription does it directly through the 2000 AD web store. Your money is going straight to the creators without others (such as Apple) taking their cut and often get a better price.

Yip, you pay more than 10%  by buying from the app stores

MumboJimbo

Quote from: broodblik on 27 April, 2020, 06:25:03 AM
The IOS app works although it is very sluggish currently

My experience with the app is fine. It takes a while sometimes to download the prog covers if you click on a year you haven't visited for a while. Downloading a prog or meg usually takes just a few seconds, but sometimes about a minute, I guess when the servers are busy. Once they're downloaded though, the app is very zippy and works a treat, for me at least.

Tjm86

Quote from: allistermac on 30 April, 2020, 02:46:50 AM
The few times I saw progs in the newsagents they were very expensive and 6 months old.

That sounds a bit like Mount Pleasant, Falkland Islands ...

colindean

I reinstalled the Android app and it's behaving for me again.  :D

I do miss physical progs, but I don't miss the price for those of us down under (I completely understand why it costs so much more).  Still, there's always that stack of progs and megs I have from the late 90s and early 2000s for when I need something more tactile.

Bolt-01

And for all you readers down in Oz, don't forget that you can still get Zarjaz & Dogbreath all the way down there.

If mail order ain't your thing - then get in touch with Dee's comics as they get a stock of every new issue.