Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modern Panther

And John Cazale! The small tragedy of Sal thinking that they can flee to Wyoming.

richerthanyou

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 23 January, 2016, 01:33:52 AM
It was this, Panic In Needle Park, and the fact that Diane Keaton thought he had lovely eyes that got him the part in Godfather.  So I have read anyway. ;)

You've been lied to. Godfather was released March of '72, but the robbery that Dog Day Afternoon is based on didn't happen until August '72. The film was released Sep '75.

Sorry to ruin that nice thought for ya
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Magnetica

We watched the Wolf of Wall Street on Netflix over the last two nights.

Goodness me that was some excess wasn't it? The very definition of not knowing when enough is enough.

Despite the excesses, he was actually a very clever chap and an unbelievably good motivator, but chose to use his talents in a particular way.

von Boom

Saw The Big Short yesterday. A fascinating and disturbing look at a few people that made billions of dollars when they foresaw the U.S. housing crash that has so affected the world economy.

It's left me feeling very hollow and disturbed. To be honest I didn't sleep to well last night because of it. Also there is a very scary warning about future markets at the end.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: von Boom on 24 January, 2016, 11:21:05 AM
Saw The Big Short yesterday. A fascinating and disturbing look at a few people that made billions of dollars when they foresaw the U.S. housing crash that has so affected the world economy.

It's left me feeling very hollow and disturbed. To be honest I didn't sleep to well last night because of it. Also there is a very scary warning about future markets at the end.

The 1% rule the world and they're mad.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 24 January, 2016, 11:28:40 AM
The 1% rule the world and they're mad

Probably difficult for them to see it that way while being fellated in the infinity pool on their Carribean island. It's the rest of us that are mad for putting up with it.

Spikes

Partly inspired by Hawkmonger's posts, and by my own re-reading of the novel, I watched Aliens (directors cut version, though I think the original theatrical cut is the superior version) last night.

Now here is a film that I've seen more times than I care to remember. I'd become so familiar with it, that it sat on the shelf for a good few years, so last nights viewing was a welcome rewatch, and the absence made it feel fresh again.

And on Blu-ray to boot. And nicely scrubbed up is looks too. (and the Blu-ray has tackled some continuity errors, and goofs -  see here)

30 years old now, and showing it's age in places, but still a cracking high octane roller-coaster of a ride. And of course, eminently quotable. 
Though due to budget constraints in some of the earlier sequences, and Cameron's use of the 1:85.1 ratio, lends this film a slight whiff of 'T.V movie' at times.

Hawkmumbler

Aye, Spikes. Undoubtatly one of the great success stories of sci-fi and a movie that will continue to entertain for decades to come.

Alien vs. Predator, is on the other hand, something of a disaster. That being said, it's to Alien what Godzilla vs. Mothra is to Godzilla. A silly monster mash of a movie with dreadful acting, ploting and pacing with some truly questionable in universe continuity (W&Y did not need to be in this movie). But, it does have some sweet action sequences. The rumble between two Pred's and a pack of Xeno's was awesome and got properly dirty on a few occations (Pred smashing the Xeno's head into multiple pillers). It's not a complete train wreck, but it ain't great either.

AvP:R however is genuinly boring as sin. It follows every slasher movie trope ever, as quite genuinly some of the worst acting i've ever layed eyes on and is so, so dark! Who the hell directed the lighting on this? I had to turn the screen resolution up all the way to make out even the faintest detail! Not even the eventual appearence of the Predalien could save this dog's dinner.

Oh, and a little pimping for a much needed cause, check out the neat Pred fan film Predator Dark Ages. It's ace's!

Colin YNWA

Have to be honest, and I think I said it here, for Aliens has finally lost the battle against time, Last time I whiched Alien it still felt timeless. I followed excittedly onto Aliens and... was a little disappointed. Prehaps I know it too well, but I dunno it felt a little dated and tired. Still a good movie, not the GREAT movie I remember.

Tiplodocus

I recall re watching it with Tiny Tips a few years back and has the opposite experience. Watching all of these eighties classics with someone who is new to them is eye opening and makes it feel fresh again. He right enjoyed it and so did I.

You so have to caveat a viewing of older stuff (especially telly) with a "the past is another country; they do things differently there".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mardroid

QuoteAvP:R however is genuinly boring as sin. It follows every slasher movie trope ever, as quite genuinly some of the worst acting i've ever layed eyes on and is so, so dark!

The darkness was my main issue with AvP:R. I understand these beasts are known to lurk in the shadows, but when you can't see what's going on what's the point? It isn't helped by the predation's head silhouette being a bit too similar to that of the Predator, so seeing which creature is which could be an issue for me.

I quite liked the predecessor though. A bit silly, but fun, I thought. Having that young lady running around outside in that thin top in the Antarctic winter at the end was ridiculous though.

I, Cosh

In '71, a young Para gets separated from his unit while on his first patrol in Belfast and has to try and find his own way back to barracks. Complications ensue. As a suspenseful thriller, this works very well. The opening half hour or so does a pretty great job of scene-setting and escalating the tension.

Not sure exactly why, but I was initially a bit uneasy at the notion of some bleedin' Frenchmen coming over here and misrepresenting our history in the interests of entertainment. In a way that I don't have watching something like Sicario which has a broadly similar use of real world political/criminal issues in service of a rather more fantastical story. Managed to get over that pretty quickly though.

I was surprised to see Gregory Burke credited as the writer. There is none of the overt political aspect which is present in plays like Gagarin Way. Instead, there are long stretches of silence in the film as it opts to work on creating tension, confusion and fear, but he does retain an ear for dialogue best expressed in the form of a a foul-mouthed ten year old who steals every scene he appears in.

Well worth a watch.
We never really die.

Mardroid

Last Rescue

A war films that came out 2015, which I'd never heard of. I think it was a made for TV film.

A small group of American service folk (army guys and two nurses) evacuating out of France.

The characters do silly things on occasion, but I found it pretty enjoyable.

Theblazeuk

Labyrinth - heh. What a mad mess of fun.

Quote from: Spikes on 24 January, 2016, 03:18:24 PM
Though due to budget constraints in some of the earlier sequences, and Cameron's use of the 1:85.1 ratio, lends this film a slight whiff of 'T.V movie' at times.

Its a movie I've only ever seen on TV. So I guess that's about right :)