Main Menu

Marriage guidance for collectors of tat

Started by Trout, 21 July, 2019, 03:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

"Uh, honey, I just spent $100 on another Green Lantern statue."

"That's nice, dear. I'll call the lawyer and I hope you die."

Something of an exaggeration, but an ongoing issue in my many years with a wonderful woman. I now benefit from keeping most of the comics and related tat out of sight in the basement, but we do still occasionally have difficult conversations. Agreeing regular budgets has helped a lot, and she has bought me geeky things on occasion, including a page of Halo Jones art. :D

What tales do you have of conflicts with significant others about your collecting? (Of course, this isn't specific to marriage; that's just my situation.)

By the way, my wife sneaks shoes into the house and thinks I don't notice.

TordelBack

QuoteI now benefit from keeping most of the comics and related tat out of sight in the basement...

Out of sight of us on here, that's for sure...

Funt Solo

It's basically shoes and wool vs. nerd kit in this household.

I only gently push buttons about the overabundance of shoes (or wool) in the full knowledge that I'm going to get that reflected back to me in terms of comics, board games (many unplayed), miniatures (many unpainted) and an unhealthy obsession with spreadsheets (although those are free and don't take up space).

I have a nerd closet (which I often come out of) that contains most of my (urgently necessary) collection.  I have mentioned that if I pop my clogs, any cash value associated with the Cupboard of Nerd might necessitate some message board assistance.  Sorry!

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

moly

My wife doesn't mind and only really says something if I get 5 deliveries in a week I also don't make a fuss when she wears something new that she has had for ages, the only think she moans about is it takes up so much space

IndigoPrime

Basically volume. Which is fair enough. We have four Billy bookcases in our TV room that are part miniature branch of Forbidden Planet, part her books, and part our old CDs. That plus the space under the spare room bed (currently housing a full set of 2000 AD and Megs) is it. Once that's full, decisions need to be made. (We have no other obvious usable space. I have a large office but the floor isn't strong. Same goes for our loft.)

TordelBack

I've no problem with my missus, she's at least as bad a hobby/genre/knicknack fiend as I am, plus offsets any financial imbalance in our tight budget with a healthy tattoo addiction.

However, prior to my daughter's birth, I happily stored my SW collection in a then-spare bedroom- this had to stop, and there was nowhere else to put it. So 9 years ago I carefully boxed up most of my precious lumps of ugly plastic and stacked them in a built-in cupboard in what was now my daughter's bedroom, and then arranged a wardrobe to cover the door. There they remain.

The best bit is, my daughter doesn't even know the cupboard in her room exists! I'm looking forward to the inevitable reveal!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I sold an extensive collection of Star Wars lego to contribute £4,000 to a new kitchen. (Discontinued Death Star! Boxed motorized AT-AT!).

To be fair, it was a LOT of Lego.

Got no thanks for it.
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

Comics I get away with no problem.In fact I have a nerd card off the back of our garage as some here might recall.

I tend to avoid 'toys' and figures and what not. On the odd occasions when I've asked if £400 on a Lego Death Star, or would £200 for a two foot tall T-Tex be okay she has this curious ability to say

"Well its your money spend it on what you like"

In a way that means "Are you insane do that and you'll be filling the car on your budget for the rest of our days." and I never vear off the straight and narrow!

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 July, 2019, 08:04:22 PM
Comics I get away with no problem.In fact I have a nerd card off the back of our garage as some here might recall.

I'm not sure what a nerd card is, or how it is off the back of a garage?

TordelBack

He meant to type 'cave'.  Although from memory of the photos, 'cavern of wonders' would be more appropriate.  When librarians are unleashed on a formless mound of tat and newsprint, the results can be magnificent.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 July, 2019, 10:50:32 AM
He meant to type 'cave'.  Although from memory of the photos, 'cavern of wonders' would be more appropriate.  When librarians are unleashed on a formless mound of tat and newsprint, the results can be magnificent.

Indeed I did. My ability to make no sense knows no bounds!

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 July, 2019, 12:44:00 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 22 July, 2019, 10:50:32 AM

Indeed I did. My ability to make no sense knows no bounds!

Thanks both - I figured there was a typo there but couldn't work out what the word was supposed to be!

sheridan

Oh, btw - my guidance - make sure your significant other has a similar hobby and/or obsession - as mentioned up-thread, knitting is a good one, as yarn is both expensive and takes up space, as do works in progress - so a good match for all our comic collections :-)

von Boom

Sorry I can't help you. I don't have any tat. Everything I collect is absolutely essential. At least that's what I tell myself.  ::)

maryanddavid

I'm lucky enough to have a cave too, and so long as the emphera doesn't spill out to the rest of the house (within Reason) everything  is good.
I stick to comics, books and annuals, the bits of toys and tat I do have tend to have been bought as presents or accidental aquirements.
My better half is not a collector of any sorts, but I think is happy enough with things!