Main Menu

Meg 438: Homeland Security

Started by IndigoPrime, 14 November, 2021, 06:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

You can't really go wrong with Dave Taylor, whose lovely cover makes for a great print (that's two in a row I've been very fond of); and he deftly illustrates a Dredd with an entertaining twist. A fun one-and-done that had some old-school vibes. Black Museum was solid—one of the best of that series I can recall. Angelic ends in a manner that makes me wonder what's coming next (and hopes there is more).

Nice text pieces with Tom Paterson and Jamie Delano provide a breather before the finale of The Returners, which ends well and warrants a re-read. Devlin Waugh ends as well. This has been a masterclass by Tot, to the degree I'm a big annoyed it's not conintuing next month (in a Meg that looks to have a great line-up, what with a Niemand Dredd, more Lawless, and a new skysurfing strip by Wagner/MacNeil).

Anyway, good stuff.

Devlin Waugh > Dredd > Angelic > Black Museum > The Returners but everything here was good. 5/5.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

A good meg

Dredd – This is one of those one-shots which is so silly but is so much fun. Great story with great art.

Black Museum – Another entertaining short story. Wish that the Future Shocks can deliver the same consisted quality.

Angelic – Rennie produced another great episode and the last page forbid some interesting events. I especially like the panel layout on the second page by how Lee Carter. I would like this series to have a more regular appearance.

Returners – This is one of those stories that will require a full re-read. The series ends on a satisfactory note. The curse has been lifted but the cost for it was great. Pity that Si could not finish his story but a nice touch giving him a sendoff.

Devlin - Alex Kots might not have created Devlin, but he nailed the character he has penned one fine Devlin story. I will go as far and say it: this was the best Devlin arc yet (with no disrespect to John)

IndigoPrime

QuotePity that Si could not finish his story
Did he not get to? I thought this was the intended end of that strip?

As for Kot, I'd tend to agree. This arc was at the very least shoulder to shoulder with Red Tide and Swimming in Blood. It had a superb mix of horror, action and humour. Other Smith takeovers have been extremely variable, and I'd always felt like the writers were on a hiding to nothing. Even the best of them, like Kek-W's Indigo Prime, were a mixed bag. But Kot nailed it. I hope Matt Smith has secured his services for the foreseeable.

broodblik

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 November, 2021, 08:41:31 AM
QuotePity that Si could not finish his story
Did he not get to? I thought this was the intended end of that strip?

Matt Smith scripted the last episode:

Tomwe

Really strong Meg, all the ongoing strips going out on a high and the Black Museum & Dredd one shots really did it for me this month. Lovely. Next month looks even better!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: broodblik on 17 November, 2021, 09:54:43 AMMatt Smith scripted the last episode
Ah. I didn't notice that. Here's hoping Matt had an idea of where the series was going to end from Si. Even if not, I thought it ended well and was clearly in-keeping, since I didn't notice the scripting switch.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

ales kot has been a fine and weirdly underrated writer for a good long while. and he clearly understands our parish, too ... his 'days of hate', collected in two volumes i think, is a superb and prescient statement on our messed up now.

Colin YNWA

Well that was a fine issue. The only really down points are a floppie of little interest and the fact that The Returners end without Si Spencer, now the reason are unavoidable and very sad, I do wonder of the fact that Matt Smith is down as Script means that the story is Si Spencers? The end is gloriously dark however and I look forward to re-reading this one.

The Dredd is such joyous fun and the art astonishingly good. I smiled all the way through.

Tales of the Black Museum was a strong one off and delightful Nick Dyer art

Angelic ends really well, do we think that's the end end as I'm interested to see how this alternative take handles other stuff. If it does end here it does so well.

Cream of the crop though - and here it really has to be the cream as this is fantastic thrillage - is Devlin Waugh this has been a quite superb story and the finale is just the icing on the cake.We can debate and discuss whether DW should have continued without John Smith as much as we like. What we should respect is that this story has been brilliant in and of itself. From art to script to brutal, fitting ending its just been devine... well of course the wonderful opposite of devine, just brilliant.

The only things more astonishing is 2 great one offs and 3 stories all sticking there landing (all ably supported by two great ext pieces) is the fact I'm not sad this line-up has wrapped up cos the incoming one - in the X-Mas Prog, one exception aside has such glorious potential and LAWLESS will be back. Man good as Delvin Waugh has been its not (quite) that good!

Just a brilliant Meg!

Tjm86

Sorry Colin but I felt seriously unimpressed by this meg.  I would agree that Dredd was a nicely done episode.  Black Museum surprised me as well.  Normally I find these somewhat banal but this one worked well.

As for the rest.  Angelic?  Not really sure about this yet.  I would agree that it gives a far more interesting take on the family than hitherto but even so ...

As for the Returners and Waugh ... artistically they impress but that is about as far as I would go.  As you say, LAWLESS returning more than makes up.

TBH a bit of a disappointment considering how strong the meg has been for so long.

Proudhuff

A good meg

Dredd –  Great story with great art. [spoiler]Have those interstellar police appeared before?[/spoiler]

Black Museum – Another entertaining short story... with some great characterisation

Angelic – Rennie produced another great episode, the Angel Gang has like the Dark Judges, been done to death, so good to see some interesting life pumped back into this franchise.

Returners –  Pity that Si could not finish his story but a nice touch giving him a sendoff.

Devlin -  this was the best Devlin arc yet IMHO (with no disrespect to John)

DDT did a job on me

GoGilesGo

Thoroughly enjoyed the Black Museum tale, Double Jeopardy.

That's the first time I've seen any Nick Dyer art in B&W.

So different from his colour output; really felt like he was channelling Cam Kennedy

broodblik

Proudhuff

Disappointed [spoiler]a Stub Gun never exploded...or the Justice Dept re-named them Souster Guns[/spoiler]
DDT did a job on me