Main Menu

ANYONE SEEN DEFIANCE YET?

Started by zombemybabynow, 29 April, 2013, 04:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombemybabynow

So glad that this has come along, (particularly due to part 2 of dr who new series going the way of the jagaroth!)

haven't played the game - but the pilot and episode 2 are quality - the main protagonist is quite han solo-esque: "sweetheart"
there's aliens aplenty - an amazing terraformed earth-scape and intrigue and action to boot!

and the o'bannon dude (farscape fame,) is involved in this too

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Zarjazzer

Saw it and enjoyed it.plenty to look at with some ace beasties and baddies ropey cgi occasionally but enjoyable with some good characters,bit like mad max with aliens and a nice evil plotters in the bg  story developing.only seen the double bill pilot tho nor have i tried the game.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Jim_Campbell

I liked the second episode quite a lot better then the first. TBH, Rockne (Amadeus) O'Bannon's name buys it quite a lot of indulgence from me — it took a long time for Farscape to really click with me, but once it did I was onboard for the duration.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

I would say it suffers from the same problem as Terra Nova, in that it has no clue what it's supposed to be yet, as evidenced by teen romance subplots alongside race warfare and prozzies-with-a-heart-of-gold, and I realise this means little to most adult sci-fi fans, but the setup is also identical to Power Rangers RPM, if not as conversant in nonlinear narrative.  I suppose Power Rangers has been on tv for thirty years so it's inevitable it got better*, but Defiance's big selling point is that it looks backwards to a more goofy, playful kind of sci-fi we don't see much after BSG put a grumpy face on everything that followed it.  In going backwards, there's not much else like Defiance on tv right now, so Farscape is probably a good reference point.

* And then got much worse.

Keef Monkey

I've been really enjoying it, and have made Tuesdays my no overtime night now so I can get home to catch it asap.

It's good fun, and does have a bit of a Firefly/Farscape air about it which as Mr Bear says just isn't seen all that much nowadays.

After enjoying the pilot I got the game on PC too, the experiment of having the game tying into the show week to week is just too interesting an idea to not get on board and see how it pans out. So far there have been extra challenges and things added in after each episode aired, but no particularly notable crossovers. I've bumped into the TV characters briefly, and I gather before the first episode aired there were bigger story-based missions which acted as a prologue to the show, and as the season goes on there will be more content like that every couple of episodes roughly. A great idea, and whether it succeeds or fails, as someone who works in game development I think it'll be pretty fascinating to see how it goes.

Even just as a way to get people that bit more invested in the universe it's certainly worked a treat for me.

Tjm86

Just finished watching the pilot (small children means that any TV watching has to be in shifts).  A lot of the above points are valid.  It's set up nicely with a bit of a back story / conspiracy to give it some oomph but a lot of it puts me in mind of Farscape (as mentioned), Firefly (lead as rogue with a heart of gold and a military background / prossy element), Town Called Eureka (cop element).  It's not hideous, it's not brilliant.  The more I watched the more I got into it and would quite happily give it a go.  I guess the test will be how soon after broadcast I watch the episodes.  Revolution at the moment I'm keen to watch as soon as it's recorded (can't stand the adverts), Touch I might go a few weeks and then binge a bit.  This could go either way but I'm willing to give it a chance.

zombemybabynow

BUMP

It's just getting better and better

BUMP
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Mardroid

I watched the first two but (despite largely liking it although I find it a bit soap-operish) missed the last couple. (Actually I could have caught this week's but having missed an episode I'd prefer to catch up with that.)

Think I'll catch up on the On Demand service. Hoping they keep all the episodes on the sci-fi site.